Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
khein66

Question What materials to use for the garage ceiling?

What would be a good alternative to sheetrock for the garage ceiling? I'm using 1/2" plywood (cabinet stock on one side) for the walls, which works great. I'm looking for something lowbuck, but decent looking for the ceiling.
Thanks.
khein66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Lloydthumper

Default Re: What materials to use for the garage ceiling?

In my opinion sheet rock is the cheapest and best looking. The only ones did with ply wood I have seen that looked ok had 2" strips that covered all of the joints. Plywood bows and warps so the joints look bad after. Metal looks ok depending on how the rest of the garage is but it is expensive. either leave it unfinished or sheet rock is my opinion.
Lloydthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
monstergarage87

I used corrugated tin on mine. Got it at lowes, not sure if your local lowes would have it though but you can check by where they have roofing or lumber. It was $14 for 30"x8' sheets and $19 for 30"x12' sheets. Not horribly expensive but still more than sheetrock. Im using it since i plan to do a lot of fab work in that area so i want something that will hold up to the abuse and its an older barn too so it fits.

monstergarage87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
lh4x4

It's not low buck, but I went with 1x8x8 knotty pine car siding. It is a one man job to install. I wanted something sturdy to hang 50 bicycles from. Plus it looks good.
lh4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:31 AM   #5
Torque1st

Remember the installed cost and maintenance!

Sheet metal type materials go up and you are done with them. No other maintenance or painting is required. Sheet rock requires mudding the joints, finishing, and painting, sometimes often. Galvanized sheet like pictured above is OK and there are many other pre-coated sheet metal products available. There are even reflective faced insulating materials available that can work on high ceilings out of harms way.
Torque1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
JMURiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstergarage87 View Post
I used corrugated tin on mine. Got it at lowes, not sure if your local lowes would have it though but you can check by where they have roofing or lumber. It was $14 for 30"x8' sheets and $19 for 30"x12' sheets. Not horribly expensive but still more than sheetrock. Im using it since i plan to do a lot of fab work in that area so i want something that will hold up to the abuse and its an older barn too so it fits.
That's what I plan on doing, how do all the seams look, or can you even see them? I was curious as they have a seam every 2' or so...

Looks great to me from the pics.
Various cars and motorcycles to be stored inside.
JMURiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
PurdueSD

Ive got white metal up... and highly recommend.

It really reflects light well and goes up quick with no stinking sanding or painting. If you decide to go with metal. Get the cheapest paint available. Some suppliers even offer 2nds that are much cheaper. I did my whole shop ceiling (`1700 sq/ft) in about 2 days for about 1300 bucks

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2...egarage003.jpg

Last edited by PurdueSD; 01-13-2009 at 01:55 PM.
PurdueSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
tfi racing

I'm considering white metal siding/roofing as well for the ceiling,I don't feel like taping and mudding or paying to have it done.How does it hold up to the weight of the insulation,I'm thinking of going with blown insulation in the attic.
tfi racing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
BigChevy80

Send a message via AIM to BigChevy80

I used 1/2" OSB on the walls and 7/16" OSB on the ceilings in my garage. I'm thinking of painting the ceiling white to reflect a little light.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
monstergarage87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMURiz View Post
That's what I plan on doing, how do all the seams look, or can you even see them? I was curious as they have a seam every 2' or so...

Looks great to me from the pics.
When i did the walls you cant see them but since i did the ceiling by myself, the ridges arent lined up so it kind of breaks up the pattern a little and you can see a little bit of a seam. But this is definitely a 2 person job with the larger sheets because the they like to fold over ontop of you when your screwing them up.
monstergarage87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #11
comp1892

I am most likely going to finish my ceiling with steel also.

PurdueSD,
Is there a j-channel type trim around the perimeter of your ceiling?

Did you finish the ceiling before the walls, or does it matter which goes up first?

Thanks,
Chris
comp1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
PurdueSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfi racing View Post
I'm considering white metal siding/roofing as well for the ceiling,I don't feel like taping and mudding or paying to have it done.How does it hold up to the weight of the insulation,I'm thinking of going with blown insulation in the attic.
I plan to insulate with blown in also. The steel is screwed about every 4 foot one direction and every 2 foot the other. Its very solid, the weight from insulation wont be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comp1892 View Post
I am most likely going to finish my ceiling with steel also.

PurdueSD,
Is there a j-channel type trim around the perimeter of your ceiling?

Did you finish the ceiling before the walls, or does it matter which goes up first?

Thanks,
Chris
Yes there is J channel. I put the ceiling up before the walls. Only reason being i wanted to get the steel off the floor and hadn't bought the wall sheets at that point. In a perfect world i would probly do the walls first, then the ceiling so the J covers the top of the sheets to hide any gaps from cutting on the wrong side of a line on accident. But either way is acceptable. Its not like drywall where you need to do the ceiling first.

Last edited by PurdueSD; 01-13-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:03 AM   #13
Torque1st

If you use blown-in insulation and sheet metal consider the vapor barrier. The sheet metal has to be better than sheet rock tho. I never figured out how blown-in insulation provided a vapor barrier.
Torque1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
sparky1562

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueSD View Post
Ive got white metal up... and highly recommend.

It really reflects light well and goes up quick with no stinking sanding or painting. If you decide to go with metal. Get the cheapest paint available. Some suppliers even offer 2nds that are much cheaper. I did my whole shop ceiling (`1700 sq/ft) in about 2 days for about 1300 bucks
Where did you buy it from? I think I might go this route. What size sheets did you use?

BSEE Purdue 1986
sparky1562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #15
PurdueSD

I purchased the sheets cut to my specified length. 3ft wide by whatever length you need. I had some 14', 16' and 20'. For the 20s i took 3 of us to hang them. I purchased them from a local co-op, but you can get them at any building supply, even home cheapo stocks standard length.

Last edited by PurdueSD; 01-16-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #16
Gary S

I used 1" foil faced board. It is lightweight enough that you can lift it in place with one hand, and strong enough to hold your insulation in place. The 1" thick foil insulation board is R6.5. Above the R6.5 board I have R19 fiberglass blankets, and on top of the R19 blankets, I have loose cellulose insulation blown in for a R40 ceiling.
The foil ceiling reflects both heat and light down to your work area, and with 10 foot ceilings, I won't be bumping it to tear the foil.
This morning the outdoor temp was -44 and my garage was at +20 with no heat added. Just the insulation is giving me a 60 degree rise over outdoor temps.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:30 AM   #17
TheShrine

Mine's a little different but I guess corrugated is corrugated.....

I used unmarked OSB trimmed in cedar as well....

TheShrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #18
Burl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
I used 1" foil faced board. It is lightweight enough that you can lift it in place with one hand, and strong enough to hold your insulation in place. The 1" thick foil insulation board is R6.5. Above the R6.5 board I have R19 fiberglass blankets, and on top of the R19 blankets, I have loose cellulose insulation blown in for a R40 ceiling.
The foil ceiling reflects both heat and light down to your work area, and with 10 foot ceilings, I won't be bumping it to tear the foil.
This morning the outdoor temp was -44 and my garage was at +20 with no heat added. Just the insulation is giving me a 60 degree rise over outdoor temps.
Where did you get this board? This is exactly what I am looking for, something with good insulation properties and is lightweight. Is it a certain brand name? Thanks.
Burl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #19
Bencrx91

If you have the $ ... This ceiling would be functional, maintenance free and very lighted:

:

Old 04-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #20
lbrowne

Figured I'd bring this one back to ask, if you put OSB on the ceiling do you need to put strapping on the trusses?

I've seen/heard of people screwing the osb right to the truss.
lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote