Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > Garage Sale > Product and Vendor Reviews

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Shocker

Default Husky 41" 10 Drawer tool chest review

Hi all. I just picked up the Home Depot Husky 41" 10 drawer tool chest for $359. It is normally $399, but I had a 10% off coupon for purchases over $299. SKU#635-958

This was the box that was a special buy during the fall season. I saw this one in the box left over and I picked it up. I needed another box and I liked the fact that this one had full length drawers for my longer tools. I figured that for the price, it would do OK.

Now, I am not a guy who would buy a Snap-On or Matco or MAC big, beautiful chest. I am sure they are the best and would last forever. I just don't have that kind of budget.

My other toolboxes consist of a 41" Costco CSPS Stainless box and a 26" Homak with intermediate chest and side box. Both have been great performers, even with the Homak's friction slides. Work like a champ.

So I unpacked the boxes yesterday evening in my family room as the shop is still not done yet. Here are my impressions:

Finish is just OK. The black paint is decent, but the painted drawers (silver to make it look a little like stainless) have some spotting and such from contaminates during the painting process. There are numerous dimples from spot welds that are visible here and there.

The drawers slide well on their roller bearings and seem fairly sturdy. I wouldn't put 200lbs in them, but they should be fine for me.

The drawers DO NOT stay in place when closed. Even a slight breeze would seem to pop them open. In order to get to the drawer catch (to lock) you have to push quite hard and then it is sometimes a crap shoot for the lock bar to engage properly. They are hard to get open as well after they are in the catches.

The casters are OK, solid poly. Nothing special. Be careful not to put too much torque on the bolts as the press fittings that you bolt them to might pull out.

There are some supports on the bottom of the box to give it some strength. The metal is reasonably thick. The drawers don't flex a ton when pulled from side to side. They are a wide drawer.

The inside dimensions of the upper box drawers are 37" wide x 14" deep(front to back). The lower box drawers are 36.5" wide x 15" deep (front to back). Nothing to write home about that is for sure. I would have liked to have at least 16" deep, but again the box was only $359.

It did come with the standard rubber/Poly drawerliners. None of them fit as they were all to big and some are not square. Not a big deal as I can trim them, but a PITA that I shouldn't have to do.

Worst part about the box is that the top box is twisted a bit. It wobbles about 1/8" or so from corner to corner. That sucks. One thing I am not sure about is the pad that comes for the top of the bottom box. Does the top box rest on it? If so, then the wobble would not be there, although the twisted top box is still twisted. It doesn't appear to affect the drawers open and closing, but might be part of the issue with the lock bar. I think the lock bar will loosen up over time.

Bottom line = B

It certainly is not a HORRIBLE box. It will hold tools and roll around the shop as necessary. Something needs to be done about keeping the drawers closed while it is not locked. That could be a safety issue. Maybe with tools in them, they stay closed easier.

I don't expect Snap-On, MAC or Matco quality for 10% the price, but I do expect it to be straight. Of course it could have been dropped. The finish isn't damaged much. There are a few scratches here and there. Sharpie time!

I will be going back to Home Depot and see about exchanging the top box, but I am not confident that they will be able to get any. It comes only as a set and other HD's said they would not be getting any more as it was a special deal.

I have attached a few pics. I will report on HD's customer service on this 3 year warrantied box.

PS: HD replaced the top box and it is fine now. Drawer closing is still stiff, but it is getting better. I upped the rating to B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010719 (Large).JPG (75.7 KB, 661 views)
File Type: jpg P1010720 (Large).JPG (47.3 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg P1010721 (Large).JPG (32.8 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg P1010722 (Large).JPG (65.4 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg P1010716 (Medium).JPG (62.8 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg P1010718 (Small).JPG (72.1 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg P1010724 (Medium) (Small).JPG (39.8 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by Shocker; 06-21-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
The Muffin Man

Default Re: Husky 41" 10 Drawer tool chest review

Hey Shocker, I have the same chest. Some of the problems you listed are the same for me such as how much force is needed to push the drawers past the detents (and vise-versa when trying to open the drawers. One of my drawers doesn't quite require much force at all so they may need to be broken in first. If they are still very stiff, I'll probably remove the detents and do the magnet mod someone did to this box before. None of my drawer liners where cut to fit properly either. The silver paint they used for the drawers isn't pretty, but I'm going to paint my drawers to John Deere green later this weekend anyway. My drawers haven't opened up when ever I roll the chest around even when they aren't locked in place with the detents.

Also I have the top half sitting on the foam pad included. But the problem you have is definitely unacceptable.
The Muffin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-14-2009, 01:17 AM   #3
Shocker

Thanks for that info! I am hoping I can get the top box replaced due to the warp of the chassis. If not, I will try and get them to exchange for another 41" box set they have.

If not there, I will probably just keep it.

Where did you see the magnet fix? Are they glued behind the drawers and replace the detents?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
dillwiggle

I live up in Canada. I have been looking for quality boxes at a decent price. The Home Depot here carries a top & bottom 41" wide for $999. The display model seems flimsy and the drawers do not even work ? Where did they get this from ? Doesn't seem very appropriate to have a crappy box for a display. Anyways they had these same 5 drawer top and bottom 41" black/silver box as a special purchase right now for $499 for both. They only have a couple each store but will not open the box before you buy it so it cannot be checked out before. I was contemplating getting them but if the $999 box is cheap I am wondering what this box is like for 1/2 the price. I think the height of the boxes are little smaller than the more expensive one. I think I may pass.
dillwiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
fguzman

Shocker

Do you have the Measurements of the box????

Thank you
fguzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
JCByrd24

I can't believe they sell that whole thing for $400, I've never seen anything of comparable size close to that price. Never saw one at my HD either or I would own one.
JCByrd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:51 AM   #7
Shocker

The box is about 57" tall with the lid closed. It is 41" wide (not including the handle) and 18" deep at it's deepest (the bottom box).

Yes, only $399 on a special buy. Like I said, it is not a super awesome box, but for the money, it works well.

I just finished my floor in the shop, so it can now go into it's new home! WOOT!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
peterbilr98

that huskey box looks good i like mine
peterbilr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #9
blkstreak

Mine are pretty decent. I have the 41" and the 27" models made in Canada last year that I got for a good price. I bought them both as floor displays with hardly any markings.

Last edited by blkstreak; 06-06-2009 at 07:52 AM.
blkstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
hatman

Nice pictures of the box on the 1st post.

I looked at one at Home Depot. Same as pictured above(top and bottom).I'm concerned about the tracks getting stiff from weight.The steel used is light gauge sheet metal.The snap-on ones can last a life time but are $2500 just for the bottom cabinet. I easily have 2000 pounds of tools.I was thinking of buying 2.There's a limit of one per person so I'd have to go to 2 different Home depots or have my brother pick-up one for me at the same time. I think Home depot may have bought to many for fathers day and are blowing them out for $300 here(top and bottom).It's a one day sale.I think the price here was $500 before.They had offered a $100 in store credit for the fathers day sale,so would have been $400. These boxes were priced at $1000 a few years back before the stock market crash and the banking debacle.

Since this is a fairly old thread,I thought some posters here might have a different opinion on the box after using it for an extended period.

hatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
caper

Send a message via MSN to caper

My Husky lasted less than a year of pro use before the welds on the drawers let go.No replacement drawers available,so much for the lifetime warranty.I welded up the drawer and sold it off.

caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #12
hatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
My Husky lasted less than a year of pro use before the welds on the drawers let go.No replacement drawers available,so much for the lifetime warranty.I welded up the drawer and sold it off.
Thanks for the pics and the info.The Husky box is obviously light duty
and not good for a pro load of tools.
hatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
mrholeshot

One of my guys bought a red 41 inch set of boxes to replace a set of worn out Craftsmans. 6 months he was hunting another set of boxes. Looked nice but geared more around the homeowner I beleive
mrholeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #14
dindallas

Just an update. Home Depot has these tool chests for $299 for the set. I don't think this includes the drawer liners but that is a minor extra cost.

Someone mentioned a possible fix for the drawers that don't stay closed. It involved magnets but did not indicate what size magnets nor where they put them. Any suggestions?
dindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #15
j-guenth

You have to realize that there are different grade tool boxes on the market. Even Snap-On has a less grade box under the "Blue Point" name.

Look at the construction, the thickness of the metal, the manufacturer of the box, and there warranty facility location.

When you buy a box for less than $400.00 new, don't expect much.
j-guenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #16
deviate2112

I just posted here on another thread....I picked one up today...very good deal, every bit as nice as my craftsman or waterloo...if not better..and for the money can't be beat!
deviate2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #17
mgold

Question Product or Item Number

Anyone have the a product or item number? I would like to see if any HD's have them in my area?
mgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #18
Mross506

I just bought this set and absolutely love it. The quality of the bearing drawers and the castor wheels is 10 times better than the C-man Professional series that I was going to buy.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Mross506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #19
Jasdave1

Exclamation Re: Husky 41" 10 Drawer tool chest review

Guys, this thing has a three year full replacement warranty. THey have to replace it, or give you SOMETHING BETTER. The phone number to call is 888-HD-HUSKY. The item number is 635-958.
Jasdave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #20
final612

Why would u only get a 41" 10 drawer tool chest when u can get a 41 1/2" wide and 57-3/4" high 13 drawer top and bottom box combo for $349 cdn haven't bought it yet but going to do it tomorrow hope they will have it still. Haven't tried it out yet but going to tomorrow when i buy it yep pi early Christmas.
final612 is offline   Reply With Quote