Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
plain2car

Question GLADIATOR GEAR TRACK ???'s

All,
I am in the process of redoing my 2 car garage & i am going with the gladiator garageworks system. i am wanting to install the gear track channels along a portion of my brick wall of the garage. my question is what is the best (strongest) way to attach it to the brick wall??? the brick is "smooth" face "typical" type brick. the house is 27 yrs old.....

i appreciate any advice you garage guru's are willing to share!!

thanks!!
plain2car
plain2car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
DMT

Default Re: GLADIATOR GEAR TRACK ???'s

The Gladiator GW system has worked great for me. I have only installed the tracks on drywall covered studs but the directions that come with the tracks say to install them with 3/16" x 1 -3/4"flat-head masonry screws every 24" in every slot for masonry block/poured concrete wall. You will need a masonry bit and a hammer drill.
DMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
plain2car

DMT,
Thanks for the reply. i am not sure what you mean by ""in every slot"" ?? i will check when i get home, but the tracks that i purchased (lowes)only have a sleeve for "packaging". i will also check the web site also. in your opinion do you think that size screw would be sufficient or would it help anymore to maybe go to 1/4" or 3/8" size screw?? thanks for any input again....

plain2car
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Stuey

I would use 3/16" Tapcom scews, every 24" or so as well. In other words, for a standard 48" GearChannel, I would use (at least) a total of 6 screws - two at either end, and two at the middle. By "in every slot," DMT means you should put a screw through both the top and bottom mounting valley.

If you're concerned about loading it up with too much gear, you can apply screws at every 16", so that you would have a total of 10 mounting points per 48" channel.

Amazon 50-70%-off Tool Deal-Finder
Stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
plain2car

stuey,
thank you for the response. i am just wanting to make sure that it does not pull away from the wall & "bonk" me in the head!! (lol) it appears that there is agreement on the method, so i am going follow the wisdom....
thanks for the input.

plain2car
Old 01-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
Stuey

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain2car View Post
stuey,
thank you for the response. i am just wanting to make sure that it does not pull away from the wall & "bonk" me in the head!! (lol) it appears that there is agreement on the method, so i am going follow the wisdom....
thanks for the input.

plain2car
Thicker screws will increase the overall load capacity of the geartrack, BUT in doing so, the heads won't be able to be countersunk into the channel anymore. Redistributing the load among extra screws should be enough so that you don't have to go to thicker screws.

Another option is to secure say, 2x6 stock or even 1x6 stock to the wall first, and then attach your GearTrack to that. But then again, you would still need to properly secure the GearTrack to the wood, resulting in double the work for marginally less security.

Another option might be to use (I think) #10 screws with masonry anchors. I'm pretty fond of the Cobra anchors that Lowes carries.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
plain2car

stuey,
thank you & i agree with your options. i will do as suggested & maybe see about the cobra anchors....

thanks!!
plain2car
Old 01-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
DMT

plain2car-

I purchased my tracks at lowes as well. Under the sleave you should find GW directions but I think stuey has made some great points and tips that the directions probably won't provide any added value. The only thing I would add is to make sure the screws countersink well our you may run it trouble placing cabinets or sliding them along the track.
DMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
onemoretry

I was thinking of doing something like the gear tracks and wondered if there was more feedback about them. I can't tell from the website what they are made of. Are they particle board, plastic or metal?
Anyone have any problems?
Sorry for the hijack.
onemoretry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
Stuey

It's definitely a type of plastic. It is fairly rigid, and all external surfaces are smooth. The interior structure, however, is slightly porous - that's why they sell endcaps to improve the aesthetics.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
35mastr

Mac tools For Sale Here
George
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
onemoretry

Here are some picks of the install. I have a bunch more to go up and will update with the completed project.

onemoretry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #13
ovilla

I just put up about 12' of gear track last weekend (over drywall) and must say that this has helped tremendously in cleaning up the garage. Make sure you buy a ton of extra hooks as you'll find that you'll want to hang everything that you can. I also bought their mesh bag and use it to store all of our smaller gardening tools in it. Finally, the gear track is made out of some type of PVC plastic that is quite strong. My neighbor has had a wheel barrel hanging from his for years without any issues.
ovilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
plain2car

ALL,
I have since hung the gear track up on both drywall & block. the results are great & i followed the directions from gladiator (pretty easy) & so far all is hung good & appears to be pretty steady... despite my efforts-lol!! i would highly recommend this system along with any of the gladiator products! i am very pleased with all my purchases (2-30" cabinets, 2-24" cabinets, related gear track & misc. hooks). i will try to take some pics by this weekend & post them. now!! if i could just get my floor done!! (epoxy).... thanks for the help on here!!

plain2car
Old 12-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
TipsyMcStagger

For those who use GearTrack, I was just at my local Sears and the four foot lengths of track are on sale buy-one get-one. I think they're $12.99 each.

Today only. 12/15/12

Tipsy

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 12-15-2012 at 05:20 PM.
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote