Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
ranger_dood

Default How to dispose of oil-filled radiator?

I've got a DeLonghi oil-filled electric-powered portable radiator that over-heated, rendering it useless. I suppose maybe I should be more concerned with why the thermostat stuck on at this point... but what I'm more interested with is throwing it out.

It's currently useless, as it got hot enough to melt the front plastic panel, which normally gets barely warm to the touch even at maximum heat output (electric elements on high, with thermostat all the way up), so obviously the thermostat stuck and let the elements keep heating until things got a bit droopy and someone shut it off.

Anyway... What I need to know is, how does one go about disposing of this thing? I know I need to get the oil out of it before I put it on the curb, but how? Should I just drill a hole, top and bottom, and drain the oil into my shop pan to be recycled at my local Autozone, and then toss the heater out?
ranger_dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Mr_fixit

Default Re: How to dispose of oil-filled radiator?

I'd just take it to the scrap yard. They'd be happy to send it to China.
Mr_fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 AM   #3
tdkkart

Set out by the curb with a "free" sign on it........POOF!!! gone.
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
ddawg16

Drop it off at your local radiator shop. Just say your son swapped out the one on his car and left it laying around....they will be glad for it...they might even rebuild it and sell it...

Which reminds me......any time you have something like that...it's a good idea to give it to the local mom/pop shop....especially if you do business with them. I had a left over starter from one of my jeeps....I gave it to the starter/alt shop I use....they remember that the next time you come in....besides a slight discount on the next purchase...you tend to get a little better attention.

The mom/pop shops remember.....a discount auto house....your lucky if the same person is there for more than 6 weeks.....

"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

In Progress...2-Story Addition link
2-Story Garage Complete My Garage Build Link
Home for.....
84 CJ7 - With a 'few' modifications.. My Jeep Build Link
And my wife's art Studio...
and 3 kids with more energy than we have...

Last edited by ddawg16; 01-23-2009 at 06:45 AM.
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #5
Kevin54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Drop it off at your local radiator shop. Just say your son swapped out the one on his car and left it laying around....they will be glad for it...they might even rebuild it and sell it...

Which reminds me......any time you have something like that...it's a good idea to give it to the local mom/pop shop....especially if you do business with them. I had a left over starter from one of my jeeps....I gave it to the starter/alt shop I use....they remember that the next time you come in....besides a slight discount on the next purchase...you tend to get a little better attention.

The mom/pop shops remember.....a discount auto house....your lucky if the same person is there for more than 6 weeks.....
Wrong kind of radiator ddawg16. He is talking about one of the house heaters that look like the old fashioned radiators, that are filled with oil.

I'll have to keep an eye on ours as we have a couple of them also.
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
3 at 8

I second "put in on the curb" a couple of hours early, it will be gone. If it is'nt I wouldnt sweat it unless your the extra super duper "Green Type". Who knows what kind of oil is in it?
3 at 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
ddawg16

Quote:
Wrong kind of radiator ddawg16.
That is what I get for 'speed' reading the post......

One of my biggest complaints is the some guys don't read the post completely......like I did the first time...... my bad...

"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

In Progress...2-Story Addition link
2-Story Garage Complete My Garage Build Link
Home for.....
84 CJ7 - With a 'few' modifications.. My Jeep Build Link
And my wife's art Studio...
and 3 kids with more energy than we have...
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #8
atvmech

drain the oil...into a bucket and keep it...it might be some super bad ass lubricant for stuck fasteners...never know...lol....i would probably pour it on the grass around a chainlink fence myself...it should kill the grass...

"I could insult your intelligence, but then you probably wouldn't understand the insult"

"KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid!"

"Stupid people should assist the process of natural selection or "survival of the fittest" volunteering for mandatory surgical sterilization."

"Stupid people shouldn't breed. "

"You laugh because I am different. I laugh because you are the same. "
atvmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
bgott

Drain the oil out and use it to lubricate ratchets. Then brag about how well it works just to see how many people drill holes in their perfectly good heaters so they can try it, too!
bgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
kartracer23

That's like I've got a small LP tank that I absolutely can't get rid of. Took the valve out - trash still won't pick it up (EMPTY written on it). Scrap metal yard won't take it. Ugh. I tried setting it out by the curb, but nobody took it. Guess I'll just stuff it down inside a trash bag. That's what I get for trying to be responsible...
kartracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
sammerdog

Put it by the curb.

Hang a "FREE" sign on it, and it will just sit there.
Hang a "$15.00" sign on it, and it will disappear by morning.

Sad, but true.
sammerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
mikeyr

yup, we had a nice white leather couch and loveseat that we put out on the lawn with a free sign, everynight for a week I would bring it back into the garage to protect it. My mom put a ad in the free paper for $100.00 and same afternoon she called me frantic to get the free sign off before some woman showed up and yes, she paid $100 for it (nice guy that I am, I gave it to my mom)

that was years ago, still laugh about it and its true, put some $ on the sign and it "disappears" faster then FREE
mikeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
dreamingmuscle

Your local landfill should have a Hazardous waste site that will take it. Ours will accept Oil and antifreeze anytime. Other things like TV's, computers, paint and other chemicals to include Gasoline. They only take on Wednesday and Saturdays.

Give them a call.
________
herbalaire reviews

Last edited by dreamingmuscle; 02-08-2011 at 05:48 PM.
dreamingmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:08 AM   #14
BigChevy80

Send a message via AIM to BigChevy80

If you have bulk waste pickup just leave it sit on the curb. if not, go find a business with a dumpster out back
Old 01-24-2009, 12:56 AM   #15
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv

I've got three of these radiators. I've learned if I have trouble getting rid of something at the curb...there's always apartment dumpsters

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34014

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=222480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
I'm perfectly content to die some other way, just not from a HF jack stand. I mean, I expect my death will be on account of the Chinese at some point, but...just not a jack stand, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
It's because paying for your own stuff, and earning your own way, is what a man does.
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #16
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
that was years ago, still laugh about it and its true, put some $ on the sign and it "disappears" faster then FREE
I wish that worked for me. A few years back I picked up one of those doctors office scales that someone had at the curb...you know the type...you stand on it and slide the weights over to weigh yourself. Anyway, it needed some work, and I got tired of it and decided to see if I could get a few $ for it on CL. Put it on there for about $20...got emails every so often....but no one every bothered to call me when I gave them my number....dropped it to $15...same thing.

Finally just decided, I want to get rid of this thing...put it in the FREE section around 9 or 10 one night. Lo and behold, in the morning when I checked my email...about twenty responses. The first guy who emailed said he coudl come by and get it and within the hour it was gone.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34014

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=222480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
I'm perfectly content to die some other way, just not from a HF jack stand. I mean, I expect my death will be on account of the Chinese at some point, but...just not a jack stand, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
It's because paying for your own stuff, and earning your own way, is what a man does.
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #17
BlackLead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingmuscle View Post
Your local landfill should have a Hazardous waste site that will take it. Ours will accept Oil and antifreeze anytime. Other things like TV's, computers, paint and other chemicals to include Gasoline. They only take on Wednesday and Saturdays.

Give them a call.
+1 to this solution. Once a year the county here has a hazardous waste disposal day, which they advertise in the paper to "raise awareness". They also take hazmat on certain days during the week all year. All you do is bring it to them. I did exactly that with one of those heaters we had in the garage. It also makes for an excellent time to be rid of those other hazardous waste materials that normally accumulate around a garage, which you've been meaning to get rid of anyway. This is how I dispose of flashlight batteries as well; I just shove them in an empty milk jug until it's full, and then off they go. I'm not a real tree-hugger, but I really don't see the point in shoving things like this in the ground, or fobbing it off on someone else who will likely dispose of it in an environmentally unsafe manner. Check with the city offices, or county if you have that type of system, as to the where and when.
Additionally, you'll feel like a "good citizen". Beer yourself for your good sense.
BlackLead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #18
thegooddoctor

There are two ways to get rid of an oil filled radiator in Salt Lake City. One is to take it to the municipal landfills hazardous waste area. They will take it.
The other is to drain the oil by drilling a hole in the bottom and top of the radiator, catching the oil in a plastic container and taking the oil to an Auto parts store for recycling (since they sell oil, they are obligated to take used oil for "free" (typically subsidized)). Put the metal in a recycle container or regular garbage. Do not, I repeat, do not just toss the oil filled radiator or the oil in regular garbage. Many yahoos on this site seem to think oil plumes in the ground are nothing serious. They have obviously never understood what happens to oil (even relatively small amounts) when it is introduced into the earth. It spreads into the most amazingly huge plumes and pollutes everything on the way. What happens is very very destructive to ourselves and all living things. Don't even get me started on the baseless argument that we pump it up from underground anyway. That is a red herring and you need to do basic research if you believe it. Long live our kids!
thegooddoctor is offline   Reply With Quote