Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2006, 12:25 AM   #1
330Scott

Default Columbian bench vice - where to buy jaw inserts?

Maybe I was a bit hasty today, but I bought a Columbian D6 bench vice at HD. It was a display model and they replaced their Columbian models with Wiltons. So they shot me what I thought was a reasonable price and I bought it for $40. Problem is that it does not have the jaw inserts or two of the Acme screws. No biggie I thought, I'll just buy the parts direct from Columbian or some dealer online. Problem is that Columbian doesn't list the jaw inserts as a part that I can buy from them and I can't seem to locate a dealer who does sell them. Surely someone has to.

How about it? Can one of you fine folks help me out? Sure would appreciate it.

Here is the vice, btw.

Thanks,

Scott
330Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Scott
Maybe I was a bit hasty today, but I bought a Columbian D6 bench vice at HD. It was a display model and they replaced their Columbian models with Wiltons. So they shot me what I thought was a reasonable price and I bought it for $40. Problem is that it does not have the jaw inserts or two of the Acme screws. No biggie I thought, I'll just buy the parts direct from Columbian or some dealer online. Problem is that Columbian doesn't list the jaw inserts as a part that I can buy from them and I can't seem to locate a dealer who does sell them. Surely someone has to.

Here is the vice, btw.
There are several jaw inserts and caps under "Optional Accessories" at the bottom of the webpage you posted...

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...etail&iid=7802
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...etail&iid=7808
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...etail&iid=7832

Doesn't state whether or not the inserts come with the ACME screws, but finding replacement screws at a local hardware store should be pretty easy.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-18-2006, 09:52 AM   #3
330Scott

Thanks, Roadster. I did see those jaw inserts, but they all appear to be special purpose inserts instead of the serrated, general purpose, original style insert that I am looking for. Here is a link to the breakdown schematic for the vice and the item that I need is item #3 - which is both inserts and the Acme screws. As you can see, they are unavailable for purchase from this page.

I am going to see if I can send an email to Columbian's customer service and see if they can help me out.

Thanks again, Roadster.
330Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
Ed ke6bnl

Quote:

Here is the vice, btw.

Thanks,

Scott
I have two columbia vices from garage sales and they are very good vices and I like it better then my wilton. That I should take out of the weather and even paid big bugs for. Ed hope you find the parts for it ED
Ed ke6bnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
W-Cummins
Too much stuff

Quote:
I am going to see if I can send an email to Columbian's customer service and see if they can help me out.
Just call them and order the repcement parts direct. I purchase stuff from WMH all the time for my powermatic stuff. You will not like the price but senze ya got it cheep ya cans paz their price now :-)

William....

1998 Dodge 3500 12 Valve TST 10, 3K GSK, ddp stage IV injectors, SB con-Fe
1987 Chevy 3500 24 valve Cummins, Nv4500, DD#2 injectors, Edge Comp
1955 Ford F100
1941 Chevy Panel
W-Cummins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
z28toz06

I found a 4" vice at the dump a while ago and bolted it to my bench. Well since I joined Garage junkies I have been reading about vices among every other tool imaginable. Last week I went out to the shed and started looking at the vice and sure enough it was a 4" Columbian bench vise! Its good to know I got something american made? I think and guys rave about them on here. Now I need a 6" or 8" to go with it!! Thanks garage junkies forum!
z28toz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
philobeddoe

Default Re: Columbian bench vice - where to buy jaw inserts?

hey fellas, pardon the resurrection here, but my local HD has had the same vice on the shelf since '03 ... and I finally convinced the manager to sell it to me, surprise surprise, for $40;

it's missing the same exact parts

anyone have an idea or handle on where to acquire the missing parts?

thanks a million
philobeddoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Steevo

Default Re: Columbian bench vice - where to buy jaw inserts?

The links above didn't work for me.

This place has jaws for most Columbian vises.

http://www.viseparts.com/

Carpe Mañana
(The official motto of Procrastinators Anonymous)

My Workbench Build Thread

My Idaho Shop Build Thread

My Shop Photo Gallery

Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote