Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
rcsec

Default 1984 Taiwan Drill Drill Press Upgrades...

Instead of hijacking an existing 1HP Drill Press thread I'll start one. I have a 1984 HDI 1/2 HP, 5/8" Chuck (JT3 import), 5 speed imported from Taiwan. I'm interested in a couple of upgrades.

In the pulley/belt area there is a hole drilled in casing that appears to accept the third pulley - to increase the number of speeds. This drill looks like so many others out there - a clone. What does it take to locate a compatible 3rd pulley and install it?

What does it take to upgrade the chuck to a Jacobs JT3? Previous posts have recommended purchasing a used Jacobs Super Chuck (ebay). These sound like a rock solid piece of equipment. Different posts have stated they (Jacobs Super Chuck) will outlive their owners! The Jacobs Web site has a quick article on removal chucks. Has anyone upgraded their chuck, do you remove the arbor first, where did you find the wedges or did you make them, are there any gotchas...

Thanks,
Ray
rcsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
Jared

Default Re: 1984 Taiwan Drill Drill Press Upgrades...

You can make a wedge out of some 1/8 inch steel, you should be able to change the chuck with out removing the arbor from the machine.
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
Charles (in GA)

Do you know that this drill press has a JT3 chuck attachment? Cheaper presses have the taper machined directly on the quill, better ones have the chuck attached to an adapter, which is something like a JT3 to MT4 or something similar. The quill has a morris taper MT in it and the slot thru it for using a "drill drift" to knock out the adapter/chuck. Put a bunch of rags or padding on the table, roll the quill down with the handle to expose the slot and insert the drill drift and wack it with a hammer, the chuck and adapter/arbor will fall right out.

Grainger has drill drifts for about nothing. I did a search for drill drift and this is what I got. For about $4 you can get one, they have several different sizes.

I bought an 18N Jacobs ball bearing chuck used from someone on Ebay, already attached to an arbor of the correct MT for my press. It had some excessive wobble and I was unable to separate the chuck from the arbor, but took it to work, where our handy dandy machinists in about two hours got it apart and re seated it and checked it in one of their machines and found the runout near perfect. I reseated it in my drill press and after a couple of tries, I got the runout to near perfect.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
rcsec

On the chuck there is an arrow pointing clockwise, inside the arrow pointing clockwise it reads - LEAD. Next to that is "UPJT-3" I'm told this is a generic import chuck. The lable, on the front of the drill press, lists the Spindle as a JT3. I'm assuming the JT3 is a specific taper fit? Does that specification (JT3) carry over the the arbor too - are there decent odd that if I buy a chuck with an arbor it will fit my drill press or should I stick with the original one (then's there's run-out to deal with)?

Thanks for the info on a drill drift.

Here's a pic of two pulleys, near the center-top is a hole drilled. When I look at other drill presses, 12 speed & higher, they have a 3rd pulley that appears to be seated there. What would it take to add the third pulley to my drill press - where do I find a pulley/mount?

Thanks,
Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC11704_edited.jpg (149.7 KB, 17 views)
rcsec is offline   Reply With Quote