Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
lethallyinjected

Default Drawer slides for craftsman box

My sears didn't have any drawer slides. My lowes has drawer slides, would these work or are the craftsman's specific to craftsman? Thanks.
lethallyinjected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
krusty the clown

Default Re: Drawer slides for craftsman box

probably need more info before we can be much help.

DEGENERATE Main Entry: 1de·gen·er·ate
Pronunciation: \di-ˈjen-rət, -ˈje-nə-, dē-\

Date: 15th century
1 a : having declined or become less specialized (as in nature, character, structure, or function) from an ancestral or former state b : having sunk to a condition below that which is normal to a type; especially : having sunk to a lower and usually corrupt and vicious state c : degraded 2
krusty the clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Deafautotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethallyinjected View Post
My sears didn't have any drawer slides. My lowes has drawer slides, would these work or are the craftsman's specific to craftsman? Thanks.
what would you do with drawer slides??

sears have slides as part dept which you need go part/ service dept store to see if they have in stock or need order but remember sears sell slides for toolboxes.. if you plan to use slides for something else not toolboxes, go menards or lowes... they have different kind of slides that you could try to do...
Deafautotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
billymade

You can get replacement parts for Craftsman toolboxes here: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...t/index.action
Or contact the OEM Waterloo Industries here: http://www.waterlooindustries.com/contact.asp

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Chris Adams

Lowes, etc. do not have the same drawer slides as a tool box. Not saying you couldn't fabricate something to work, but I doubt it would make sense to.
You can get the drawer slides from Sears hotline, or from Waterloo or whoever made your box.
I'm assuming you are talking about tool box slides.

Slides are easy to repair if you have a damaged one, or one where the ball bearings 'escaped'.

Buying them is expensive because of shipping.
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
lethallyinjected

Shipping is why I'm looking for something local. I'm just wanting to add slides to my box, a few drawers appear to be able to take a second pair of slides.
lethallyinjected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
68rustang

Timely topic.

Can I replace my current "Quiet Glide" slides with ball bearings? I haven't checked yet but I understand it might not make sense costwise vs. replacing the boxes entirely.
68rustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
zuspiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rustang View Post
Timely topic.

Can I replace my current "Quiet Glide" slides with ball bearings? I haven't checked yet but I understand it might not make sense costwise vs. replacing the boxes entirely.
Welcome to the board! (I have a "65rustang" )

I'd wait for a good sale at Sears and get a BB box. Or check out the alternatives (costco, etc.). Keep the old box (if you have room) and use it for less often used tools or parts.
zuspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
Chris Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rustang View Post
Timely topic.

Hi, welcome aboard.
No, you really can't.
On the quiet glide the slides are friction and as such are not removable. You see, on BB slides the slides themselves come out of the box. Rather easy to remove on most boxes, especially Sears Craftsman (Waterloo).
On your box you would have to actually machine the grooves away, then fabricate slide mounts... You get the idea.
The Quiet Glide is a decent box unless you load the drawers heavy.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:18 AM   #10
nissan_crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethallyinjected View Post
Shipping is why I'm looking for something local. I'm just wanting to add slides to my box, a few drawers appear to be able to take a second pair of slides.
Buy the right ones. Have you looked at the price of good drawer slides? Shipping is the least of your worries.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
Chris Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan_crawler View Post
Buy the right ones. Have you looked at the price of good drawer slides? Shipping is the least of your worries.
You can get any brand you want on e-bay rather cheap, but when you get say 8 or 12 pair the shipping will kill you.
I've talked to four or five e-bay vendors away from e-bay and they will sell the slides pretty cheap, but after shipping it's not that great a bargain.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
Jim2225

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymade View Post
You can get replacement parts for Craftsman toolboxes here: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...t/index.action
Or contact the OEM Waterloo Industries here: http://www.waterlooindustries.com/contact.asp
billymade:
Thank you for your links. The one for Waterloo Industries worked. The drawer clip I needed is P/N: M3163. Cost is: $1.09. I ordered what I needed and a couple of backups. WI Customer Service mailed me a picture of the old style and the new style. While they visually look different, the overall form and dimensions are the same. Per WI Customer Service the new style fits and works just as well as the old clip style. Thanks again.
Jim2225
Jim2225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
Jim2225

Just a "heads up" If you go to searspartsdirect, for the M3163 drawer clip, it will cost you $3.99 almost 4 times what you will pay at Waterloo.
Jim2225
Jim2225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
billymade

When I worked at Sears; all of my customers said that when they called Waterloo; their prices were always cheaper than Sears, their customer service was always excellent and they really tried to make the extra effort to help their customers. I've noticed this to be true for any part from Sears; usually can always find it cheaper, cut out the middleman and get it direct from the manufacturer or other places online for less. However, for research purposes, I do use the parts diagrams on Sears website and they are nice to refer to when ordering parts.

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!

Last edited by billymade; 12-05-2013 at 12:20 AM.
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote