Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
upman

Default PA50AB modine New Problems (HELP)

Need some help guys. I picked up a nice little 50,000 btu modine, set up for natual gas and I have LP. No big deal right. So I do the install got everything hooked up and ready to go. Go to the local supply house and they tell me the LP conversion kit is no longer available since my heater was made it 85. There has to be somewhere I can get the parts to do the conversion.
It has a single jet and a Honeywell valve.
Model
PA50AB
S/N

I would greatly apriciate any help with this. Realy don't want to have to rip all this out and start over.
Thanks

Last edited by upman; 03-23-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: new problems
upman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
rickairmedic

Default Re: PA50AB modine parts (HELP)

Upman see if you have a Johnstone supply in your area . I cant tell you wether or not they will have the kit but I would bet they could sell you a new gasvalve that woud work.

Rick
rickairmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
upman

Nothing by that name around here.. Bad part is the valve doesn't look that old. How would I tell?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
rickairmedic

Upman on a standard Home furnace usually the date of manufacture is in the serial number but in this case if it was made in 85 then thats not the case . I would pull the gas valve and take it to some supply houses with the model and serial from the unit and see if they can cross it to a newer valve that may have a kit available . The only differance is in the orfices in the burners and the spring in the gas valve itself . Natural gas runs at 3.5" of water column LP runs at 13" speaking of which thats another tool your going to need is a manometer to be able to properly adjust the pressure once you switch the gas valve over from nat. to LP they are usually pretty cheap for a water manometer you will pay around $15-$20 bucks.

Rick
Old 02-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
SM1

Try this.

www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/heater2.shtml
SM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
Roothawg

I'm in the same boat but my local LPG man says that he has the right drill bit to open up the orifice in my old valve. He says that he has done hundreds of them this way.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
upman

Thanks SM1 Looks like that should do the trick
Old 03-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
upman

Ok guys got that conversin parts and had them installed. The heater worked great that day. The next day turned it on and no heat. Checked and pilot was out, tried to relight and it wouldn't stay lit. Ok no prob. need a new thermo-couple. I get a new one and it wont go all the way into the flame so I pull the 2 pins and disco the pilot line and pull the burner out. I get the T-couple all the way in and reinstall the burner. Hook up the line and the T-couple. Now when I light the pilot I get an orange flame 4 to 8 inches long. Cna't figure out what I did. Before removal I had a nice blue sharp flame, it just went out when I let off the button. Help please.

Thanks guys
Old 03-24-2009, 04:35 AM   #9
upman

Any ideas?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
rickairmedic

Upman I want to say the orfice in the pilot assembly came off somehow when you were changing the thermocouple .Honestly without being there live and in person thats all I can come up with off the top of my head.

Rick
Old 03-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
upman

Ok. Now would it have been in the valve or the pilot? Where the aluminum tube goes in?
Old 03-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #12
rickairmedic

Upman it should be between the aluminum tube and the pilot assembly itself which is why that doesnt make sense as the problem unless you took the pilot tube off of the pilot assembly ? That would be the only reason that it would have a flame thata large becouse the gas isnt being metered properly at the pilot.

Rick
Old 03-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
upman

Ya I had it off. wounder if it's out of place or fell out. Hmmm
Hafta go take a looksy after the wife gets home.

Thank you very much for your time, this was a head scratcher. I'll let you know.

Wade
Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #14
rickairmedic

Wade no problem at all this is the area of this jont where I can lend some knowledge to try to help other members. You should be able to pick up another pilot assembly locally if you managed to loose the orfice out of that one.

Rick
Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
upman

I found the orifice! Now I think I just need to udjust the pilot or t-couple. The pilot still doesn't want to stay lit but atleast this time when I heated the t-couple with the propane torch it stayed lit long enough to run the furnace. So tomarrow I'll play with that. I still don't think the t-couple is going into the holder deep enough.
Thank you very much for your help and time you saved me alot of cash for sure.
Wade
Old 03-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #16
rickairmedic

Wade your T-couple should have come with a new screw in mount you should be able to take the old mount out of the pilot assy and install the new one to get it up where you want it glad you found the orfice makes things easier.

Rick
Old 03-31-2009, 03:31 PM   #17
upman

Thanks again Rick. Got the new holder for the T-couple installed the furnance works great. Just have to figure out why the pilot keeps going out. It'll cycle3 or 4 times then nothing. Go check it and the pilots out. Boy this thing is getting to be a pain. Pilot looks good and T-couple is in the flame good. Don't know maybe I should spend the $80 and get the new Honeywell valve.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #18
rickairmedic

Wade does the heater go WOOOOOOOF when it fires up if so you might need to adjust the gas valve some it may be blowing out the pilot when it lights sounds like that might be the issue now at least .

Rick