Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
John in OH

Default Standard Garage Size Recommendation

Currently have a single car attached garage, but would like to remove this existing garage and build a double car garage. I can probably build a 20' x 20' with no issues, but to go larger I may need a variance due to lot line restrictions.

So, the question .... would a 20' x 20' garage (inside dimensions) be adequate for two SUVs, some storage shelves along the sides and a workbench area in the front? If 20' x 20' is inadequate, what size would you all recommend without going crazy on the size? 20' x 22'? 22' x 22'? 24' x 24'? Is width more valuable than length or vis-a-vis?

Thanks!
John in OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
StingRay

Default Re: Standard Garage Size Recommendation

20 x 20 is pretty small but not useless. At 20 ft in length you better have short SUV's to get much of a front work area. Our 4 Runner in a 24 leaves a nice work space in front at about 5 ft and about a foot to the rear. With a 20 ft width you'll need to limit anything on the sides to about 16 inches width. If you can increase dimensions go as big as you can fit and afford. Depending on your specific vehicles width vs length is a matter of personal need. I consider 24 x 24, 24 x 28 and 28 x 28 to be really useful sized residential garages. Mine is 28 x 44 and I'd consider 28 just nice for the width with a minimum of 24 ft for length prefering 26 or even 28 ft as better alternatives where possible in urban environments. I live on an acreage and I'd at least double mine if I could afford it.

Last edited by StingRay; 02-24-2009 at 12:25 PM.
StingRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Stuart in MN

The simple answer is to build the biggest garage you can...they are never big enough. However, I suppose it depends on how big your SUVs are - are they Suburbans or Hondas? Personally, I'd go with 24x24 if you have the space. I used to have a 12x24 one car garage; the inside dimensions were more like 11x23, and with some shelves, a workbench and my 1961 Bonneville in there (it's about 18.5 feet long and I don't know how wide) it was pretty tight.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
JakeD

Personally having a 20x20, there's no way you can fit 2 SUV's in, especially full size. We have a small SUV (Infiniti FX), and it barely fits length-wise with some small shelves. My pickup (full size bed) sticks like 5 feet out the door if you try to pull it in.

Regarding the width, I have a workbench, toolbox etc along one side wall and I will tell you there is absolutely no way you could fit another car in there width-wise. I think you could maybe fit 2 compact cars in a 20x20, with nothing else along either side wall.

My personal experience is that you would need to go bigger in both directions to fit 2 SUVs. I think around here 20x20 is the minimum to be able to sell it as a "2-car" but you'd be VERY hard pressed to get 2 cars in one.
JakeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
RAYJAY

the way i figure it out is length of the car add on 5 feet to it take the with of the car with the doors open add 5 feet to that

Jeff
Thank You Snap On, I now know how it feels to be toilet paper
Quote:
People complain that "Craftsman warranty depends on who you talk to at the store"....

"SNAP-ON warranty depends on your dealer - at 10x the cost."
RAYJAY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
jshillin

My garage is 24x32 and I wish I had an extra 8 feet both ways!! I would say 24x24 minimum. You are better off going with like that anyway to help minimize lumber waste.
jshillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
mhm993

i have 21 x 28. no way to get shop plus 2 suv's in your space. How about raising the ceiling, put in a lift, and effectively park 2 vehicles and retain some shop space? (no idea if a 10x20 bay fits the wide bendpak 9 lits).

Personally, I'd go wide over long. (not sure if my wife agrees..............!)

Of course, in our town, I'd rather die than go through the variance process.

PCA national instructor
SCCA crew
Satanic Mechanic

Last edited by mhm993; 02-24-2009 at 01:17 PM.
mhm993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
porschedude996TT

You need to think thru what you plan on having in the shop. Things seem to collect around the walls to the point that you can't walk thru the middle. With nothing in the shop but the object you are working on, then you need some area around the object being worked on. If that is filled with stuff, tools, and benches, then your going to cussin' yourself for building too small.

24 x 24 is good unless you have no self control with collecting tools and stuff/junk.
porschedude996TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
autoist

IMHO, lawn is just a place waiting for a garage to be built!

http://www.theAutoist.com
autoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
Bojans

I had a 20 x 20 in my last house and it was small. We made due but I really had not room to work unless I pulled the cars out and I was always worried my wife was going to hit my tool box.
Bojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
JMURiz

First see how large you are able to build, in my county it was 550 sq ft.

I went with a 22w x 24d garage and I'm building a 4x5 mudroom to max out the space.
Sometimes a county dictates the size...
Various cars and motorcycles to be stored inside.
JMURiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
bowlofturtle

i think mines is a 22x20, not very far from a 20x20. We have 2 sedans in mines and a lawnmower and random stuff on the side. My 26' c-man box as well. Its is very cramped for my likings. I cant work on a car with both cars in there. I always have to pull one out, it comes a hassle. You always run into a problem of not being able to close the door at times.

I can never think about 2 SUV in there.
bowlofturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
Bull
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshillin View Post
My garage is 24x32 and I wish I had an extra 8 feet both ways!! I would say 24x24 minimum. You are better off going with like that anyway to help minimize lumber waste.
A big ditto....I have the same size shop as you and could use 8 ft in either direction!

EUDAIMONIA
"It Pays to Stay in the USA!"

Last edited by Bull; 02-24-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #14
38Chevy454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojans View Post
I had a 20 x 20 in my last house and it was small. We made due but I really had not room to work unless I pulled the cars out and I was always worried my wife was going to hit my tool box.
I have to laugh at your comment. A real garage guy is worried about his tool box, not the damage to the wife's car.

I agree with the general consensus. My back garage is 20 deep and you can barely get a car in with any space front and back I have 24 wide and like others said, I wish it was bigger in all directions.

You can never have enough garage space.

My detached garage project:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=66932

USA made high quality bear claw style latches - cheap:
http://www.hotrodlatches.com
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
gunguy

John -

I have a 20x20 and was able to park a Ford Ranger and a Dodge Intrepid in it but it was tight! No room for shelves, except for high shelves or a bench. Barely enough room for a trash can and mower.

I suggest checking with zoning to see how large you can go and factor that in your decision.

You will need a new roof so think about going up. A high ceiling may mean you can add a lift if you want. Also think attic/storage trusses to get a lot of the "stuff" that tends to collect in the garage off the floor and off the walls.

If you feel really ambitious, get some graph paper and lay out your proposed garage. Make some scale cut outs of your cars, tool box, etc. and see how they fit. Simple rectangles and squares will do.

Another idea would be to lay out a 20x20 box with some string or school chaulk and park your vehicles in the box. That might give you a better visualization of your space. Just remember you will have walls to deal with.

Good luck.

Jim
gunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #16
toadjammer

Also take into account that you may have to go with frost footings even if it wasn't built that way to begin with. Codes have changed around here and all new construction and any remodels where you are adding onto the house would require going down to the existing footing or the below the frost line depending on codes and structure use.
toadjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #17
Bojans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I have to laugh at your comment. A real garage guy is worried about his tool box, not the damage to the wife's car.

I agree with the general consensus. My back garage is 20 deep and you can barely get a car in with any space front and back I have 24 wide and like others said, I wish it was bigger in all directions.

You can never have enough garage space.
Of course, the car is insured...
Bojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #18
FunfDreisig

Try it yourself. Mark out a 20x20ft area in the lawn/driveway and park all the big stuff in that area. Then open a few doors, and move stuff from the front to the back, etc. -- without going outside the lines

FWIW I have several 10x20' SUV tents that I'm using for temporary cover for our vehicles, and as construction tents while I build the garage. I've done some minor maintenance on an medium size SUV in one of them. It is very tight for opening a door unless I park way to one side (e.g. a fully open door hits the wall - ouch). And there is very little space to work in front unless the tail is hanging out. Walking along the side carrying tools, etc. is always a little risky for scratches etc.

IMHO 2 SUVs in a 20x20 makes it a "parking" garage. To use it as even a minimal workshop, you will have shuffle SUVs.

Funf Dreisig
FunfDreisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #19
ddrewyor

When we built the attached garage was suppose to be 20 x 20. Cement guy did slab at 20 x 22 and I am glad he messed up. We have a Ranger and a Volvo wagon. To get both cars in and able to open the doors I have to angle the Ranger and park the Volvo closer to the house wall - which has the entrance door. If I did not have the extra 2 ft in depth, I would not have any room for cabinets. As it is, my wife and her friend trash the ones that are in there.

Dave
________
Gong bong

Last edited by ddrewyor; 03-05-2011 at 04:40 AM.
ddrewyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
dlc

20 x 20 would be reaaaly small for 2 SUVs. To give you an example, here are a few pics of my 19 x 21 garage with a 2003 Toyota truck (extended cab) and a compact car. Not much room at all in front of the truck and not much room to the sides. My next garage will be much bigger. Anyway, here are some pics. Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. You can see what a tight fit it is.

my build
dlc is offline   Reply With Quote