Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > Garage Sale > Product and Vendor Reviews

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
Fast Orange

Default Bluepoint Cordless LED Droplight

I just bought a Bluepoint 30 LED rechargable utility light,cat#ECFLED30. Over the years,I've grown very tired of getting tangled in droplight cords while working under vehicles-the cord is under the creeper wheels,wrapped around your neck or covered in slime-you all know the drill.The lights that work with drill batteries are better,but are usually spot beams-still not good enough.
The LED lights that have recently come into the marketplace are a much better solution.They aren't as bright as a incandescent or flourescent corded light,but the amount of light is sufficient for most work.The run time is supposed to be about 8 hours,with approxiamately a 1 hour recharge.I've used mine for about a 4 hour stretch,with no deterioration in brightness.
The MSRP for this light is $119,but I've seen what I believe is the same light being sold as "Freedom Light" for about $75 online. I got my light from Snap-On on a promotion with a 20% discount.
Generally,I'm pleased with the light.It's light weight,seems sturdy enough,and is a good solution for under car work.The switch is positioned in a recess in the end of the light-it'sa small toggle that can be tough to operate with greasy paws,but other than that, this type of light is an asset to your toolbox.

George
Fast Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:02 AM   #2
Luckydevil

Good stuff, post some pics if you get a chance.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:17 AM   #3
EdNJ
Jersey guy

I agree,it sure looks like a Freedom Light. One of my tool guys had a promo on them (around $55-60) and I picked one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Orange
The LED lights that have recently come into the marketplace are a much better solution.They aren't as bright as a incandescent or flourescent corded light,but the amount of light is sufficient for most work.
I also agree. I use it when doing underdash work or inside vehicle doors (window regulators,motors,etc.). A flourescent is usually too bulky to use in these situations.
It's actually my second Freedom Light. Some LEDs died on my first one,but my tool guy replaced it under warranty. He told me the factory had some problems with cold-soldered connections but it was corrected...this was 2-3 years ago so you guys shouldn't run into this problem.
EdNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:14 AM   #4
Doug
Real Hot Rodder

..everybody I know that has a Freedom light has had to return it for one reason or another, myself included. First a couple of LED's let go on mine, which I could live with. The the push button on-off switch let go, so I sent it back to the factory and it came back with a toggle switch and (what seems like) bigger, brighter LED's.
This light is one of my favorite tools.

Doug
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
CAFinNY

Default Re: Bluepoint Cordless LED Droplight

Does anyone know where I could get a charger for a Bluepoint 30 LED rechargable utility light,cat#ECFLED30?
thanks!
CAFinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
TA^Guy

Damn $100-$75 for a cordless LED light?

Crapsman, $19.99.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03473904000P
Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 AM   #7
econoaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA^Guy View Post

Crapsman, $19.99.
Anything special for the price you say??

It is showing at a tad over $40 total when added to cart.
econoaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
TA^Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by econoaddict View Post
Anything special for the price you say??

It is showing at a tad over $40 total when added to cart.
Now it's showing $33.95 on their website but they go on sale often enough.

My wife purchased mine in store for $19.99. Nothing really special about it, goes 8 hours on a charge, the other night I left it on in my garage on accident and went back in the next morning and it was still on and it wasn't even fully charged.

Only problem I have with it is when it gets cold the push button switch is hard to use, and the magnet wasn't that strong that came with it and it felt off my hood and broke the clip to the magnetic base.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
nolatoolguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA^Guy View Post

Crapsman, $19.99.
man thats nothing the one flashlight we got on the farm is 579 but its a must for what we do

its all on how much you use it sometimes you gotta pay good moeny for a good product
nolatoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
vssjim
Alliance Member

I hate to be so negative but I just don't like the light that those lights put out I really like stong flashlights or cool white florecents, I'm just not an led guy i guess
vssjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #11
DanCo

Location: In a house, on a block, somewhere in Queens New York
Send a message via AIM to DanCo Send a message via Yahoo to DanCo

I bought a 30 LED SaberLight throught our shop catalog for about $30 I love this thing. I believe it's made by ATD. I get about 8 hrs use off a 1 hour charge.
DanCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
TA^Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatoolguy View Post
man thats nothing the one flashlight we got on the farm is 579 but its a must for what we do

its all on how much you use it sometimes you gotta pay good moeny for a good product
I've had 1 million candle power cordless spot lights before, I wouldn't expect to pay $20 for them.

If it's a compairable product there is no reason to pay twice as much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vssjim View Post
I hate to be so negative but I just don't like the light that those lights put out I really like stong flashlights or cool white florecents, I'm just not an led guy i guess
As a work light I agree with you. I'll use my halogen lights when I want to see what I'm doing. But for the odd jobs that require light where I don't have a outlet or don't want to run 100' of lead to it comes in handy.

Last edited by TA^Guy; 03-11-2010 at 06:19 PM.
TA^Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:06 AM   #13
Vinko

I've been wanting to get a cordless drop light, so this thread makes reminds me of that fact I'd rather not get the Blue Point though if the OEM is a heck of a lot cheaper. Or if another make might be just as good if not better....the search continues....
Vinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
tonydanzah

You realize this thread was 4yrs old? The prices of led drop lights is now a 1/4 of what they were 4-5yrs ago.