Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
amishman

Default Vintage Sun or other Engine Analyzers

Saw this cool old, maybe early 60s, Sun engine analyzer at a antique store. Owner did not know if she worked or not. Any on the spot test I could do other than see if she lights up to tell if it works or not?

I should have wrote down the model but a brochure next to it said something like 1961 or so. It was connected to a push cart and had 4 to 5 little testers on top of it. One was for vacuum I can remember. The rest I don't know. Each tester looked separate though in a box about 5 to 6 " wide and they were all connected together and sitting ontop of this cart. They wanted $125 for it.

Would be cool if she worked.

tj

Edit... Looks like this but 4 or 5 in a row on a cart.

Last edited by amishman; 03-22-2009 at 07:08 PM.
amishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
Delray

Default Re: Vintage Sun or other Engine Analyzers

It's pretty hard to test the electrical meters without hooking it up to an engine. A lot of the meters won't work on electronic ignitions. $125 seems kind of high too. I paid that a year ago for a large working analyzer with a scope.
Delray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
cruiser808

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishman View Post
Saw this cool old, maybe early 60s, Sun engine analyzer at a antique store. Owner did not know if she worked or not. Any on the spot test I could do other than see if she lights up to tell if it works or not?

I should have wrote down the model but a brochure next to it said something like 1961 or so. It was connected to a push cart and had 4 to 5 little testers on top of it. One was for vacuum I can remember. The rest I don't know. Each tester looked separate though in a box about 5 to 6 " wide and they were all connected together and sitting ontop of this cart. They wanted $125 for it.

Would be cool if she worked.

tj

Edit... Looks like this but 4 or 5 in a row on a cart.
Amish - those Sun testers are like gold to us old car restore guys. Trust me, classic car guys will pay a fortune for a working Sun tester like that.
cruiser808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
amishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser808 View Post
Amish - those Sun testers are like gold to us old car restore guys. Trust me, classic car guys will pay a fortune for a working Sun tester like that.
I want to use them for old 1960s/1070s aircooled VWs.

Will this type of analyzer work for something like that?

tj
amishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
cruiser808

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishman View Post
I want to use them for old 1960s/1070s aircooled VWs.

Will this type of analyzer work for something like that?

tj
Yeah, as long as you got points, a distributor, and a 12 volt system, it should work fine. If the analyzer and the car are old enough, they will even will work on a 6-volt automotive system. We're generally talking pre and early fifties though.
cruiser808 is offline   Reply With Quote