Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
RTcat

Default Lawn Sweepers - will they pick up gravel stones?

I've got a long (700') gravel driveway with some finished yard on each side. As a result of plowing the snow off with my Western snow-plow on the pickup, I get some gravel stones on the yard come spring time. Rather than rake them into little piles and then have to rake them into a shovel, I'm contemplating buy a pull type lawn sweeper and making a few passes to try and "sweep them up"

Those of you that have lawn sweepers, any comments? If gravel stones are just laying on top of the matted down grass, will a lawn sweeper pick them up off the grass?

Any other hint on how to remove gravel stones off grass in early spring?
RTcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
JoelS

Default Re: Lawn Sweepers - will they pick up gravel stones?

the lawn sweepers I've had barely pick up leaves/sticks etc. I doubt the typical brush type pull behind would be able to grab stone, 1/2", 3/4" whatever.

I have about 550' of gravel driveway, and picked up an attachment for my Stihl weedwacker, that I use each spring. Saves me about 2 days of raking etc. I just blast the gravel back into the driveway and then go over the driveway with my box blade to smooth everything out

link to attachment - http://www.stihldealer.net/locator/s...owerSweep&pc=1
JoelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
StingRay

I have the same Stihl sweeper as JoelS and fully agree. I can do with the sweeper in a few hours what it take me many days to accomplish with a rake. Not a cheap attachment by any stretch but was worth every penny after I used it once. It deosn't harm the grass at all either.
StingRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Improved700

We call those Power Brooms. I race snowmobiles in the summer on grass, and everyone has them to clean off the starting lanes. Works great for pushing the gravel back onto the driveway come spring time. First time I used it at home, the neighbor looked at me cross-eyed. Then ask'ed if I would come over and do his.
Improved700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
tatra

i live on a corner lot and so all the leavings from the winter plows get left on my boulevards.........when the city comes out to maintain them they have these exact things and do they ever work great...........3 guys can do a better and more efficient job than one guy on a med sized tractor with a rotary broom...........seems like the way to go..........added bonus is that they work good wet too so dust is minimized........
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
StingRay

Wet too Oh Yes. Probably the best squeegee you've ever seen. They work great for light snow, grass clippings etc on the side walk and work great for sweeping wood mulch back into the flower beds when it's been blown around. I added the shield attachment to mine to keep stuff from getting kicked back.

Last edited by StingRay; 03-23-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
RTcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
the lawn sweepers I've had barely pick up leaves/sticks etc. I doubt the typical brush type pull behind would be able to grab stone, 1/2", 3/4" whatever.

I have about 550' of gravel driveway, and picked up an attachment for my Stihl weedwacker, that I use each spring. Saves me about 2 days of raking etc. I just blast the gravel back into the driveway and then go over the driveway with my box blade to smooth everything out

link to attachment - http://www.stihldealer.net/locator/s...owerSweep&pc=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I have the same Stihl sweeper as JoelS and fully agree. I can do with the sweeper in a few hours what it take me many days to accomplish with a rake. Not a cheap attachment by any stretch but was worth every penny after I used it once. It deosn't harm the grass at all either.

Joel / Stingray,

Are you guys using the "Yard Boss" system or the "Kombi" system from Sthil?

http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/mu...ning-tool.html

http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/kombi.html
RTcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
StingRay

Kombi system. The sweeper on my kombi system is a bit of work to handle in this application the yard boss would probably be easier on the back but as an addition to an existing tool I can't complain too much. My old back does ache a bit after pushing it around for a while though. Still it would hurt alot more with a rake a shovel and a broom. Last year I picked up a blower attachment for the Kombi. I love that thing too and I didn't have to buy another engine.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
lawfarm

Out in our neck of the woods, one of our neighbors has a small JD riding lawnmower (20hp) with a 4', hydraulic lift/angle rotary broom on it. It turns a day of raking into 5 minutes of (fun) driving. Check with your neighbors...?
lawfarm is offline   Reply With Quote