Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
FlameOut

Default Run natural gas line underground

On my new garage, I need to run water, electric and gas lines underground (It's about 10' from my house). I found the plastic pipe I need for the water lines, and the conduit for the electric, but what do I use for the gas line?

I noticed when the gas company is replacing lines, they use those rolls of plastic pipe, but I couldn't find it at my local Home Depot.
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
HoosierBuddy

Default Re: Run natural gas line underground

The gas company will be using polyethylene.

Call them and see if they will make you up a short section with two anodeless service risers, which are long ells that bring you above ground and transition you to steel NPT fittings. Normally, PE pipe is joined by heat fusion using special tooling (and or fittings) that melts the pipe together. However, they do make mechanical couplings that work well. I've used many Perfection stab couplings and have never had a problem. There are other brands too.

The PE pipe itself is not allowed to come above ground. It has to be buried with the above ground portion steel. The anodeless service risers accomplish that for you.

If you can't come up with PE, my next choice would be to bury bare steel. Start with a single 21' joint and bend the ends up as risers so you won't have to leave any threads underground. If you pad it with some sand and bury it in decent dirt (no lime, cinders, etc.) it'll last a long time. It will rust through eventually though. I've seen bare lines go 30 years.

What messes a lot of people up is they try to coat it with something before they bury it. That'll work great too...but coated steel pipe has to be cathodically protected (a magnisium anode attached and buried with it) or it will rust through much faster than a bare steel line.

Too much information I'd guess. The PE is the way to go if you can get it. Put a tracer wire in with it so you can locate it with a cable locator in a pinch. Put a shut off valve above ground on the supply side so it can be shut off if it gets cut.

Phil
HoosierBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
FlameOut

Thanks for the informative post Phil. I'm hoping to get this right the first time, so I'll look into that polyethylene pipe
Old 03-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Yak22

when I did a remodel, the builder buried copper pipe... Im not sure if this is good or bad, but it works.
Yak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
rickairmedic

Yak are you on propane or natural gas . Propane is fine with copper however natural gas and copper dont mix the copper will develop pinholes which will of course leak .

Rick
rickairmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
dipper

Send a message via AIM to dipper

i ran polyethylene for my garage, but it was expensive!!! the pipe was cheap but the two compression ends were $50 each. Being only 10', I would just bury 3/4" or 1" black pipe and be done with it. All the pipe and fittings are available locally.

20x22 Build Pics: http://s630.beta.photobucket.com/use...e/1_Demolition
dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
HoosierBuddy

I should have said something else about Polyethylene gas pipe.

It says "gas" on it. It is SDR 11 or thereabouts. DON'T use polyethyelene water pipe (aka "black roll pipe") for gas. It isn't allowed and it's a bad idea besides.

Phil
Old 03-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
dipper

Send a message via AIM to dipper

yeah, it'll be yellow and say gas on it, and be SDR11 or SDR12.5 i believe.

20x22 Build Pics: http://s630.beta.photobucket.com/use...e/1_Demolition
dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
Chris 50

HoosierBuddy, I ran PE for my shop about 130' or so and have yet to tie into the shop. Should the compression fitting lie horizontal with the PE in the trench and a 90 degree elbow and pipe stemming to above grade, or should I let the PE curve upwards with the compression fitting going vertical, half in/half out of the ground, and keep all the rest of the pipe above grade?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
therealjakeg

I work for a naty gas company. you have to get a steel riser to plastic.

Technical Instructor//Natural Gas Industry
therealjakeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
HoosierBuddy

I wouldn't use a compression coupling hooked to a piece of steel. I'd use an anodeless service riser. That's basically a 3-foot ell that has PE on one end that can either be fused or connnected to your existing line with a stab coupling. The PE runs into a steel casing that protects it from damage. There is a compression coupling inside the steel casing that connects it to a steel pipe that goes up.

So, it transitions you from horizontal to vertical and plastic to steel. It's called an "anodeless" riser because by its nature it doesn't require a magnisium anode to protect it from rusting.

The other way to do it would be to bend a piece of steel into a riser and use a compression coupling on the horizontal underground. Both the compression coupling and the steel will be subject to rusting. Definitely bring your gas line above ground and go through the building wall above grade regardless of what else you do.

Phil
Old 03-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
Yak22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickairmedic View Post
Yak are you on propane or natural gas . Propane is fine with copper however natural gas and copper dont mix the copper will develop pinholes which will of course leak .

Rick
Natural gas...

Bummer... well, I guess I'll just enjoy it while it lasts...
Yak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
FlameOut

I was told I can't even buy the PE line unless you are a licensed plumber

Phil, you said: Definitely bring your gas line above ground and go through the building wall above grade regardless of what else you do

So I shouldn't run the line underground, atop my footer, through lower course of block and up in the inside of the garage, through the concrete floor?

I may just run the gas line after my final inspection. The wiring and water don't seem to be much of a problem, but this gas line sure is starting to be a pain
Old 04-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #14
calsaxe

I just finished running a 125 foot run of polyethylene pipe for natural gas. I was told that I had to have a licensed contractor purchase the PE pipe, the elbow radiuses, and the couplers. When I called the sales office at Ferguson's plumbing here in Sacramento, the guy told me that I could just purchase it myself...so I drove right over and picked up everything I needed. As others have mentioned, it's not the PE that costs much, it's the couplers and the radiuses.

If you are going to direct bury hard pipe instead, I think you're supposed to use the green pipe (coated black pipe). I was told that black pipe was supposed to be wrapped before burying. Just my opinion but I would run the gas line underground outside the foundation, bring it above grade, and then enter the structure through the wall. There's just something about the finality of everything when the concrete of the foundation and stem wall hardens. At least if something goes wrong in the future and you need to get to a leak underground, I would feel better cracking out an external concrete pad than jacking up the foundation, especially if you have your foundation poured with rebar.

In the end, it was about $600 to run 125 feet of PE, two 90 degree radiuses, and two couplers. The black pipe would have been about $100 cheaper and the green pipe would have been a couple of hundred dollars more expensive. Make sure that your gas pipe is at least 18" below grade, preferably 24".

Here's a picture of one end of my PE pipe before I tied it into my house. The radius comes with a foot of PE pipe attached. You can see the black "egg shaped" coupler that attaches the radius to the PE pipe. The green wire is a tracer.

The other picture is where the gas line ties into my addition. Each end has a shut off valve, and a plug for a "future".

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1423.jpg (148.7 KB, 947 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1420.jpg (145.5 KB, 860 views)
calsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #15
HoosierBuddy

I'm not an expert on the national fuel code.

However, I have done a little research on fuel line entrances to buildings and my take on it is the code requires the entrance to be above grade for new construction.

Phil
Old 04-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #16
HoosierBuddy

Calsaxe...looks right to me. Anodeless risers. Tracer wire. A shut off. Above ground entrance. Pipe is coated that goes through the wall. Looks pro.

Phil
Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #17
calsaxe

Thanks Hoosier!

Always good to have confirmation in the form of a second opinion. I'm glad to hear that it "looks" pro because my body wasn't feeling like a pro...I was hurting for a couple of days after trying to tighten all of the gas fittings!!!
calsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #18
Chris 50

Well, here's what I've got. Put the compression fitting on the PE, put a 90* on it and ran it up. It comes through the wall above the concrete wall.The supplier I bought everything from said as long as I wrapped everything below grade with the PVC tape, it would be fine.

Last edited by Chris 50; 04-24-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Chris 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #19
fatboy99

Chris
Where Is your tracer wire and is that 18" below grade ?
fatboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #20
fatboy99

Chris
I just looked thrue the garage build pic's did you pressure test the gas line's before you closed up the wall's? the pic of the gas line elbo looked like it was sealed with tefflon tape A BIG NO NO Id hate to see your hard work go up in a bang or Anyone getting injured or Worse Yet Killed
Brad
fatboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote