Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
the intimidator

Default snap-on industrial finish?

i am looking to get some new screwdrivers next month (need to save my pennies) i was looking at the snap-on screwdrivers the 8 piece set is 112$ in the industrial finish and 168$ in the chrome finish. what is the coating like on the industrial finish is it going to stand up to regular use or is it going to look like crap after a few uses and be coverd in scratches. i have never seen this finish on the snappy stuff but i have used these screwdrivers before in the chrome version and they are awsome i really like the way they feel in my hand so i am willing to spend the 112$ on them works out to like 14$ each not too expensive when you think abought it thanks guys
the intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:32 AM   #2
Canadian Charlie

If it was up to me I'd get the chrome ones. They look more sexy and I wouldn't want to be kicking myself in the A$$ in a few months time cause I was a hymer
Canadian Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-11-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

I have a few of the chrome and it is a decent finish. Easy to clean. I don't know how eay it would be to keep the industrial finish clean. And if there's one thing I hate, it's a dirty screwdriver. Dirt can cause poor fit, poor performance, and crappy results. If it were me, I would go the extra few $$$ and get the chrome. Remember, you're only buying these once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

The industrial finish is meant to bulletproof. Industrial settings are harsh - the tools are being used by people who don't care about them and could potentially get nasty chemicals on the tools. Think of it as "no" finish, ie. the same tool before it gets coated with chrome. There is no coating to chip off. This is critical in certain chemical/pharma industries where you wouldn't want a chrome chip to show up in your final product.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
Pantera

Unless your heart is set on Snap-On you might want to look at Matco. I own the TORQUE II SCREWDRIVER SET and I really like them. Also check the price They come with a life time wty also.

STANDARD CHROME TOP-TORQUE SCREWDRIVER SET-ORANGE

Three sided handle technology offers more turning power than standard screwdriver.
High alloy chrome steel blades with butterfly shank molded into handle for greater strength and durability.
Three different color choices available for set: Neon Green, Fluorescent Orange, or Maroon.
Part#: SSO8A Price: $114.35
http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/sso8a.jpg

8 PIECE PREMIUM CHROME TOP TORQUE II SCREWDRIVER SET - ORANGE

Top Torque II is the Next Generation in 3-Component Triangular Handle screwdrivers. These application based screwdrivers provide optimal handle size and shape to enhance torque values and improve comfort.
Screwdrivers have different handle sizes based on the screwdriver length which properly matches handle size with screwdriver application.
Greater proportion of soft material on handle surface provides a better feel and improves comfort in thumb placement area.
Patented flocking surface providing a non-slip grip.
Innovative bolster hole for extra turning power.
Handle is molded around blade via butterfly shank for greater strength and durability.

Part#: SSPCO8C Price: $134.15
http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/sspco8c.jpg
Old 03-11-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
dink

Send a message via Skype™ to dink

Is Snap-on and Matco even making there own screwdrivers???
dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
the intimidator

BMWPOWER

so the finish is pretty tuff but it wont scratch off with use rite i fit into the whole i dont care it's only a tool sort of mindset i think of my tools just that as tools im not eating off them i am not going to spend hours polishing the crome only to get them dirty again but i do take care of them but once they are dirty they tend to stay that way a quick wipe with a rag and into the box they go

Pantera

are those priced canadian? the set of snap-on i am looking at it only 88$ american does matco have trucks or can you buy them at stores? i really like the feel of the snap-on screwdrivers in my hand but i have never used matco all the screwdrivers i have now are mastercraft stanly and a mix of other off brands they serve me good but stripping screws is starting to get old so i wanna upgrade to something nice that is going to last a lifetime
Old 03-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
kartracer55

Matco is a truckbrand as well.

My friend has a few pieces of snap on industrial finish, the most used is a 3/8 ratchet. The finish has held up but For some reason it gets a very very very light surface rust on it. Nothing major, rub it quickly with wd-40 and its gone. Go figure

Jim

http://www.frappr.com/garagejunkies
kartracer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #9
Pantera

intimidator sorry I did not see that I was looking at canadian dollars. Matco have trucks and I think you can buy on line at matcotools.com . You would have to see if you like the Triangular Handle screwdrivers that Matco sell.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:15 PM   #10
the intimidator

Jim

thanks that is exactly what i was looking for the surface rust does not concern me too much i'll just spray them with some wd-30 or something if i am going to store them for awhile without use

pantera

i asked around and nobody i know has a the matco screwdrivers so i am going to go with the snap-on i would hate to get the matco and not like them i'll talk to the snappy guy when he stops by the shop next and see what type of deal he can get me on the screwdrivers

thanks for the help guys when i get them i'll be sure to post weather or not i like the finish and how well it holds up for me if i like it alot i may buy some ratchets and a few other goody's
Old 03-14-2006, 06:40 AM   #11
l_bilyk

I wouldn't buy snap or or matco screwdrivers. I would buy klein. Arguably a superior tool that costs less.
l_bilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:47 AM   #12
Katbird

most of my screwdrivers are mac but I do have other brands like klein and other odd brands. heres a few of mine.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:20 AM   #13
transammanv8

Exclamation Re: snap-on industrial finish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dink
Is Snap-on and Matco even making there own screwdrivers???
My Snap On guy was talking about the Snap On screwdrivers being made in one of our two local plants, either Elizabethton or Johnson City, Tn, but I can't remember which one. At the time, 2 years ago, they had made a batch that had bad heat treating and was causing problems for him(warranty work).
transammanv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #14
l_bilyk

Default Re: snap-on industrial finish?

I think klein makes the best screwdrivers... but thats just my $0.02
Old 04-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #15
chevy302dz

The Snap On industrial finish holds up great so unless you just have to have chrome, or you are working in a area with exessive moisture they will be fine. If you really want the best, then you should look at the Stanley 100 plus series of screwdrivers.
chevy302dz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 06:49 PM   #16
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy302dz
The Snap On industrial finish holds up great so unless you just have to have chrome, or you are working in a area with exessive moisture they will be fine. If you really want the best, then you should look at the Stanley 100 plus series of screwdrivers.
Really? I would not have guessed that. I have never been all that impressed with Stanley screwdrivers... maybe I should check them out. BTW, I'm fairly certain that the 100+ are made in the USA.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....ip+Screwdriver

Quote:
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
Old 04-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #17
l_bilyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschoendorff
Really? I would not have guessed that. I have never been all that impressed with Stanley screwdrivers... maybe I should check them out. BTW, I'm fairly certain that the 100+ are made in the USA.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....ip+Screwdriver
Cold forged? hmmm
Old 04-15-2006, 07:26 PM   #18
Blacknwhitepit

Those 100+ screwdrivers look painful. I prefer my Soft grips!

-BWP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grip2.jpg (70.3 KB, 210 views)
Blacknwhitepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:26 PM   #19
Thumper

You might want to look at Cornwell or SK.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #20
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknwhitepit
Those 100+ screwdrivers look painful. I prefer my Soft grips!

-BWP
I have two softgrip Snap On screwdrivers... a #2 phillips ACR and a flat blade (3/16" perhaps?). They have never failed me. But then neither have my Taiwanese, Great Neck-sourced Kobalt softgrip screwdrivers. Nor my soft grip Cman pros. But I do enjoy using the snappys though. The phillips ACR kick major azz. Then again, they better @ $17 per screwdriver!

Quote: