Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
theracedude

Default Blaze King wood stove

I am going to need to buy a wood stove and was looking at the "blaze king". I like the catalytic converter type because it is more efficient. (less wood). does any one have a catalytic converter type stove and what do you think of it? thanks, randy
theracedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
fasteddie24

Default Re: Blaze King wood stove

Vermont Castings. I have a non-catalytic Resolute model in my basement and it burns pretty clean as soon as it heats up. There's nothing like wood heat, but you have to be careful, especially wear there may be chemicals.
fasteddie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
walrus

They still make catalytic stoves? I thought most were going with air injection. I'd go with Jotul
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
PurdueSD

I had a a nice wood stove with a catalyst at my last house before we moved. That thing was the cats meow.... It would choke the fire down and burn you out of the basment.... Ive got plans to put one in this house...

Last edited by PurdueSD; 05-17-2009 at 06:30 AM.
PurdueSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
sewerzuk

I grew up in a house heated by 2 different blaze king wood stoves (my grandfather used to sell them). We also had hot water circulator coils in ours. While I can't compare them to other brands, I can say that they lasted for at least 20 years of heavy usage and never had a problem. And they were certainly more efficient than a stove without a catalyst.
One thing I do remember however, is the frequent chimney cleanings. Our catalysts had a lever to bypass them for starting the fire. Once the fire was going, you close the lever to force the smoke through the catalyst. Because of its design, creosote tended to collect on top of the catalyst and eventually prevented the lever from fully closing. We had to open up the chimney and remove the creosote 3 or 4 times each winter. Not terribly inconvenient, but more frequent than the annual cleaning I do on my current wood furnace.
sewerzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
chaingang

I heat our upstairs throughout the winter with a Vermont Casting with a catalytic converter. Really puts out the heat and uses very little wood once the convertor gets hot. It will easily run you out of 1800sqf if you pour the wood to it.
chaingang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
skinanbones

While catalytic stove we're great very few companys use them as they can break down easily i.e. burning coloured paper or wood with stain or paint. Also catalytic conveters are expensive. I currently heat my house with a pacific energy stove and it's great. P.E. uses a upper baffle with air injection and are all steel construction. Jotuls are also a realy good stove as well but are cast iron and more of a decorative stove, but still a great heater
skinanbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #8
Bigrhamr

I'm on my second Blaze King which is 20 years old. Somebody liked the first one well enough to steal it out of my house when I was gone for a weekend. This one is a King model, the bigger one and easily gives a 12 hour burn with decent wood. The only downside as was mentioned is that they will load up the chimney a little faster. I've found if you leave the door open and let it rip for 15 minutes a day that's not much of a problem either. When it has a good fire going and the catalyst is active you can't see any smoke out the chimney. They do tell you not to burn any glossy colored paper or treated materials or it will poison the cat. I've never had to replace mine and after 20 years it still does the job.
Bigrhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
Phuckin' Jim

Click on the link below for the mother of all wood stove sites:

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index...s/viewforum/2/

Type "Blaze King" into the search box and go nuts.
Also remember that having a wood stove in the garage might have an impact on your insurance rates.
Most areas have rules to follow in regards to "bump protection" and minimum height from floor to bottom of fire-door.
It would be best for you to check with your local fire dept., as well as whomever you have your fire insurance with.
Phuckin' Jim is offline   Reply With Quote