Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
amishman

Default Is propane rubber hose same as gas fuel hose?

I need to get some new rubber hose to connect my small propane tank to a stove I have. It showing signs of age so figured I would replace it. It seems no local hardware stores sell propane hose in bulk and only sell premade hose with connectors. I need only a small 18" or so of rubber hose.

Tell me, is fuel hose at local car parts store OK to use or is propane hose super pumped up and regular fuel hose would not handle propane?

tj
amishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Jared

Default Re: Is propane rubber hose same as gas fuel hose?

im pretty sure propane would rot the rubber, and the fuel line probobly isn't rated for much pressure.
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
Chris Adams

OK, anyone that says you can use anything besides exactly what the book calls for could get sued. You live in California for Pete's sake. You know that.

Just for the sake of argument, car fuel line comes in MANY grades.
Some will handle high pressure.
Some will handle most any gas.
Some won't.
If someone says, sure, top quality fuel line rated at 65 PSI or higher, available at most auto parts stores (but not most discount retail auto parts stores) will work, some idiot will buy the cheapest stuff at Kragen's and expect it to handle 300 lbs as he tries to swap propane from one tank to another.

Most propane use is low pressure.
You keep the stuff in the tank at high pressure, but you burn/use it at lower pressure than a car fuel system.

Stop by a NAPA or other hard line auto parts store and have them check the grade, You will be able to get what you want.
Or any RV supply house, big or small.
Or any propane tank dealer/filler (I don't mean a Wal-Mart, I mean a place that fills the big tanks at houses. There is one near you, pretty much everywhere.
Or stop by an Airgas or other gas outlet.
18 inches of hose is cheap.
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
fatfillup

Use only hase rated for propane. Its not pressure you have to worry about, its compatibility. Some of the pressure washers we sell have propane fired burners and my hose supplier was adament about using propane rated hose. He said even Natural gas flex line should not be used for propane. I know this guy well and respect his knowledge.

That said, try an industrial hose supplier (hydraulic hose distributor) and they should have the right stuff. Or your propane supplier.
fatfillup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
walrus

Why mess around, go to a propane supplier and get the right hose.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
rhandwor

http://www.ebay.com/ Search propane hose.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
amishman

I tried even local propane place and they did not sell hose.

I may try an RV place outside of town. Campingworld I think it is.

I actually get Propane service here and the guy that redid my small tank to bring it into the modern era said I would have to get the hose elsewhere.

I may go back to them and bring the hose and ask again for the heck of it. They probably have it, just did not want to bother selling me any.

Anyway, I will see if I can find a RV place around.

tj
amishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
speed bump

Go to your local industrial supply house (generally this isn't Grainger or MSC) and tell them exactly what you want and they will pop one out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHandyGuy View Post
Agreed that makes about as much sense as a pimp with a health plan.
speed bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
jjkrjh

Amishman, NAPA or any local forklift dealer or repair shop should be able to make your hose for you. Just take your old hose to match up the ends. Different hose manufacturers(Parker,Weatherhead,Gates) suggest different hose for LP use. Which also uses different ends (45 degree angle).
jjkrjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
eric87

what is wrong with metal flexible propane line?
eric87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
J-Brew

The short answer to your thread title is "NO"...
I work in an industrial hose company so you can trust what I am saying. If not, you can check out my info with a manufacturer of hose. (kuriyama of america 800-241-3123 Atlanta,GA in USA)

LPG hose has pin pricked holes in the cover to allow the gas to escape in small quantities. So any rubber hose that does not have them will bubble the cover up even if the tube has been treated to handle lpg.

I have made hydraulic hoses for a customer that sells lpg (Blossman Gas in Greensboro,NC in USA).

It kept animals from chewing his hoses, but it only lasts a while. So we put him onto stainless braided hoses with a stainless convoluted tube. The convolutions in the tube allow it to be flexible and the metal hose will take lpg with no problem. Also the Stainless steel hose will handle the outside elements better than anything else.

The company I work for is called Rubber Products. We sell rubber hose for a wide array of applications,
(water,chemical,petroleum,pesticide/fertilizers,steam and lots more).

Also distributing rubber matting for people,animals and anti-vibration. Rubber mulch is available for schools and playgrounds.
The company has been in business since 1952 but I have been here since 1997. I should also mention that I am the newest employee
to the company.
If it is plastic or rubber we can help. Even if we do not sell it to you we will do our very best to get you in the right direction for the
parts you require.

Thanks for reading this and maybe I can help you too.
Jamie

Rubber Products Co
PH# 336-272-4503
FX# 336-272-4512
866 Huffman st.
Greensboro,NC 27405

visit our web site
http://rpco.freeiz.com
J-Brew is offline   Reply With Quote