Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #1
79f250guy

Default Snap on Ethos Pro or Modis with 16.2

Hi all I have a predicament on my hands. I recently got a Snap on Modis with 9.2 updates and works for most of the fleet im working on but have now found a use for the 16.2 update which I understand is the last update for the Modis. My snap on guy is trying to convince me to get the ethos pro with a trade in of my modis he wants 1800 for it or around 1k for the update to my modis so for $800 more should I go with the Ethos and lose my lab scope and not sure what else ill lose vs the modis. Any insight would be great

Thanks!
79f250guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #2
jimindm

Default Re: Snap on Ethos Pro or Modis with 16.2

The one thing an old tech told me once, that really has stuck with me over the years, is to buy equipment that you will use, and get good with what you have.

For some that is a test light, and others it is a state of the art lab scope.

While both are SO products and work on virtually the same platform, it would not make a difference in which way you go.

I have a modis, and I can tell you I have never used it to its full potential. just one of those things I guess. I have an old vantage that I can usually do what needs done as far as scoping anything.

The one thing I have thouh about lately thought is how much longer can SO support the modis. There is already a few things that the other SO scan tools do better.

I would hope that the Modis is much like their brick was. The brick finally just became obsolete, because it just did not have the functionality that it needed. While they sold the brick for a long time, and serviced it even longer, I would hope the Modis will be the same way.

I am not sure how to answer your question. I am not sure an ethos has all of the scan abilities of a modis. How much do you use the scope portion?
jimindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
79f250guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimindm View Post
The one thing an old tech told me once, that really has stuck with me over the years, is to buy equipment that you will use, and get good with what you have.

For some that is a test light, and others it is a state of the art lab scope.

While both are SO products and work on virtually the same platform, it would not make a difference in which way you go.

I have a modis, and I can tell you I have never used it to its full potential. just one of those things I guess. I have an old vantage that I can usually do what needs done as far as scoping anything.

The one thing I have thouh about lately thought is how much longer can SO support the modis. There is already a few things that the other SO scan tools do better.

I would hope that the Modis is much like their brick was. The brick finally just became obsolete, because it just did not have the functionality that it needed. While they sold the brick for a long time, and serviced it even longer, I would hope the Modis will be the same way.

I am not sure how to answer your question. I am not sure an ethos has all of the scan abilities of a modis. How much do you use the scope portion?
I honestly haven't used it yet but then again I haven't had the tool long. But doing some reading I think it may come in handy sometimes so is 800 more Worth a new tool or update what I have which should be good for at least 3 years before stuff is out of warranty. Hmmm
Old 07-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #4
Wamsutta

You'll need the scope to catch sensors that are on the blink but haven't failed entirely yet. In other words, they work most of the time to keep the computer happy, but when they act up they cause drivability problems.
Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
JJThrasher

There's room on that Ethos. A lot of room. My dealer offered me one for much less than that with no trade in. Personally I'd update the Modis and move on. Its cheaper and you have more functionality. Main perk of the new Ethos is the light weight, small, and quick platform.
JJThrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
pl_silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThrasher View Post
There's room on that Ethos. A lot of room. My dealer offered me one for much less than that with no trade in. Personally I'd update the Modis and move on. Its cheaper and you have more functionality. Main perk of the new Ethos is the light weight, small, and quick platform.
If I'm not mistaken, he got a Modis with 9.2 on it, which means its either an original flat screen or newer raised screen. This tool is no longer supported, I think the last update that they can put in it is 15.4......I would ditch it as parts are getting scarce for them and they're quite dated (they were at least when I was a dealer 3 years ago, might be non existent now).

As far as the Ethos is concerned, I was never much of a fan. The only good scan tools they have going for them are The Solus Ultra, Solus Edge, and Modis Ultra, as these never ran windows and are a lot more stable.

That being said, If i were in the market for a new scanner it would be an Autel.

I have a Used Modis Ultra with 15.4 I've been trying to sell for a month now.

What exactly does update 16.2 have that you are looking for/need?
pl_silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
79f250guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl_silverado View Post
If I'm not mistaken, he got a Modis with 9.2 on it, which means its either an original flat screen or newer raised screen. This tool is no longer supported, I think the last update that they can put in it is 15.4......I would ditch it as parts are getting scarce for them and they're quite dated (they were at least when I was a dealer 3 years ago, might be non existent now).

As far as the Ethos is concerned, I was never much of a fan. The only good scan tools they have going for them are The Solus Ultra, Solus Edge, and Modis Ultra, as these never ran windows and are a lot more stable.

That being said, If i were in the market for a new scanner it would be an Autel.

I have a Used Modis Ultra with 15.4 I've been trying to sell for a month .

What exactly does update 16.2 have that you are looking for/need?
I need to scan a 2011 e-250 for a powertrain code for the transmission.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
WhiffySpark

If this is the original modis I would upgrade. I wouldn't get an ethos though. We have a solus edge and it doesn't really compare to the verus in anyway imo. I can get a modis edge with euro for under 5k no trade in. I'm a verus lover and would like to buy my own one day.

That being said, I'm looking to try a Maxme soon
WhiffySpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:36 PM   #9
JJThrasher

Wait is it an older Modis? I missed that. I was thinking the newer Modis. Just needing updates.

I believe the Ethos he's talking about is the new little black colored one. That's a pretty capable tool for $1500 cash. Which is what my dealer offered it to me for. I demo'ed it for a week and it is a decent scan tool just no scope functionality.

I probably grab the Ethos and keep the Modis for the scope part.
JJThrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #10
Neohio

I have a Modis CF card with I believe 14.2 update I would be willing to let go for the right price.
Neohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:07 AM   #11
HomeTheaterMan

A friend just bought an Ethos Pro and his dealer financed it for him at $1,500, so I think you can probably get it cheaper than what your dealer is telling you.
HomeTheaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #12
3 Gun Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79f250guy View Post
I need to scan a 2011 e-250 for a powertrain code for the transmission.
What vehicles are in your fleet? Is it a mix of all kinds of different vehicles or is it just about all Ford or all GM. If just about all Ford I would get an IDS through Motorcraft, if all GM get a Tech 2 or the GDS2 with a lap top. If you are buying a lot of Motorcraft parts or AC Delco parts you can get a big breal in the scan tool and web access to program and look information.

For Snap On I would get a Solus and an Advantage if to need a digital storage scope. The Modus's I've used are way too slow and I next to never need more than a 2 channel scope. After an Advantage I would rather have a Techtronics live scope, I can see things much better with a live scope over a digital scope.

Depending on what you are doing you need different tools in your arsenal.
3 Gun Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote