Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Vernmotor

Default Building a compressor shed

Yep I did all the search. I looked at everything I could find.Lots of great ideas. I used some of them. Now I building this in my basement..only place I got..can't go outside..and no room in the garage.So I am working on the exhaust .Need some ideas ..worrying about the heat..not sure if this is a good way to do it..Here is some pics.

Intake is done real happy with it.

mounted

now the exhaust

Any idea or thoughts would be helpful.The fan will come on with the compressor

Here is the compressor

Old 04-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
e-tek

Default Re: Building a compressor shed

Very interesting design. Did you find someone else that used this intake? I'm guessing it's a silencer of sorts....
I'd think the fan would transfer more air across it than a compressor just sitting in ashop, but it'll be interesting to see if it's enough to reduce the temps in the box.
Like the ingenuity!
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Vernmotor

Here is the design..I use..I just did it bigger..My compressor is bigger..

http://www.cianperez.com/Photo/Expos..._Enclosure.htm
Old 04-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Nice work.

I think letting the box sit on top of the concrete might be a problem, sound-wise. If you could get a layer of something that would dampen sound in between the box and the floor, you might (and I say 'might' because I'm nothing like an expert), reduce the complaints from the wife.

I have a much smaller box for mine. My intake and exhaust fans are powered by a $20 Craftsman load-sensing switch that would normally be used for a dust-collection system and a saw. When the compressor cycles on, the fans get powered. It works pretty great.

I also use a cheap indoor/outdoor thermometer to keep an eye on how hot it's getting next to the compressor. It records max temps, which is nice too, considering it cost less than ten bucks.

This kind of box can end up resonating like a drum and irritating the family upstairs. I wish an acoustical engineer would post a simple plan for us non-experts that would crack this. My little box does an adequate job -- but I wish it were even quieter.
________
silversurfer reviews

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 01-23-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
senlow

I'm impressed. You have done an excellent job. That enclosure should do a good job for you.

Heat is always an issue with machine enclosures. I use a remote display thermometer to test enclosures. These can be purchased from Walmart, Home Despot, Lowes etc. Just mount the sensor unit in the enclosure. Try to place it in the area that will retain the most heat - towards the top (heat rises) and out of the direct air flow. Place the display in the shop so that you can moniter the temp while the compressor is in use. Test by making the compressor work hard. A bead blaster or DA work well because they use large volumes of air.

Be sure to decouple the compressor from the floor with isolation mounts.

If you want even greater noise reduction there are several things you can do. You can line the intake and exhaust with semi-rigid fiberglass. It will attenuate noise better than the foam. Also, you may want to build a rear wall for the enclosure. This will allow you to have a gap between enclosure and the cinder block wall of the basement, effectively isolating the enclosure from the wall. The enclosure can also be partially isolated from the floor with thick rubber strips placed between the enclosure and the floor.

Again, your enclosure looks great.
senlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
senlow

While I was typing, Jack Olsen posted with a couple of comments. He is "nothing like an expert", but he has a good grasp on the basics of noise reduction. I'm not an Acoustical Engineer, but I have designed a number of machine enclosures and noise reduction devices.

It would be nice if there were a simple enclosure design that everyone could follow. However, each situation will have it's own unique set of requirements such as coat, amount of noise reduction, complexity of build, availability of materials, skills of the builder, etc. Please feel free to PM me with questions about a specific enclosure.
senlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Aceman

How are you hooking up the 120v fan to your 240v compressor?
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Vernmotor

Ok here is a little update first the walls are 3/4 plywood and I lined the inside with 5/8 firewall drywall and the out side with 1" foam board.. I just need to do the exhaust manfold..added a shelf on the outside today also..here a pic..do you think temps in the exhaust manfold will get to 180 deg ? I have this reflectix Insulation . They say it is good for 180 deg..I would not think the air coming out would be that hot ?? I do have rubber mat and rubber bushings to mount the compressor on.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
Vernmotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
Nice work. Thank you

exhaust fans are powered by a $20 Craftsman load-sensing switch that would normally be used for a dust-collection system and a saw. When the compressor cycles on, the fans get powered. It works pretty great.
Can you tell me more about this..how you wire it- whats it look like-can I buy one at sears ???
Old 04-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

I don't think your compressor will be happy with 180 degrees.

I used flexible 4-inch ducting that came wrapped in fiberglass insulation as a kind of poor man's dampener for the intake and exhaust ports. I used 1-inch thick heave rubber-ish foam and a layer of dynamat car stuff on the inside of mine. Two bags of sand hold a heavy moving blanket in place on the outside. My box sits on pads of the thick foam wherever it comes in contact with the concrete.

I tried to make my enclosure completely airtight, with the exceptions of the inlet and outlet ducts.

Needless to say, my box is not easy on the eyes. But it's down in the crawlspace where no one but me sees it.

This is the load-sensing switch that runs my fan (click on the picture for a link to Sears):

Since I work in the garage (while the compressor is in the basement), I also got a wireless switch that was rated for 20 amps to be able to turn the compressor on or off without having to go down under the house. Now I don't have to worry about the thing cycling on in the dead of night when any noise at all will wake up the baby.
________
RC115

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 01-23-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
Vernmotor

so you think temps in the air coming out will be more than 180 degs ?? thank you on the switch..I will look and see if I can find one.flexible 4-inch ducting sounds like a good idea for the exhaust side..I was thinking about some dryer tubing anyhow.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
Vernmotor

Well is your compressor 110 ? don't think that switch will work for me with 220..why can't I use one one wire off the compressor 110 to run the fan ??
Old 04-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #13
nate379
Banned

Wish I could see the pics. You guys need to host it on here or something... photobucket is blocked!
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernmotor View Post
Well is your compressor 110 ? don't think that switch will work for me with 220..why can't I use one one wire off the compressor 110 to run the fan ??
Whoops. Now I see the plug for your compressor. I'm sure someone with some electronics skills could modify the thing to do that -- but I'm not that guy.

My initial triggering device was goofy, but it might suggest an idea for your situation. I had one of those old "Clapper" switches that used to be advertise on TV. Those boxes have a 'security' setting where they'll turn on a light for 20 minutes whenever there's any kind of a sound. I plugged my fans into that, and had the sound of the compressor trigger the clapper for a 20-minute fan cycle. Trouble is, the Clapper ain't exactly the most robust electronic device out there, and it started failing -- it seemed like it was going deaf -- with use.

But my back-up plan might work for you. It was one of those cheap Harbor Freight motion sensors that plug into an outlet and then come on for 5, 15 or 30 minutes whenever they're triggered. You could put one of those in the box, assuming the movement (and the heat) of the compressor are enough to trigger the switch.

Or someone here might have a better idea.
________
CL90

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 01-23-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #15
nate379
Banned

Yeah, just tap off the pressure switch. You have 2 hots (120v each) a neutral and ground.

Wire into a hot and neutrual on teh motor side of the switch and there you go.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #16
e-tek

I just checked some compressor stats and they say 240F was the "max air temp to compressor"... not sure if it would get that hot in there, but it could.

You can buy 110/220V converters at Circuit City, etc. OR,

To change 10/2 240V cable to 120V, simply do this:
Remove the double pole 30A breaker from the panel. Replace it with a single pole 15A or 20A breaker, depending if you want 15A or 20A at the new recepts. Then connect the black wire of the 10/2 to the new single breaker and the white wire to the neutral/ground bus bar. Leave the ground wire connected where it is in the panel. You'll feed the first recept with 10/2 and any downstream recepts can be fed with 14/2 (15A) or 12/2 (20A). You'll need to pigtail the 10/2 on to the first recept, as #10 wire is too thick to get under the screws of the receptacle.

I was going to build nearly the same enclosure as yours, but I really want it outside. Of course out there I'm concerned about Minus 50C temperatures in the winter!

Last edited by e-tek; 04-05-2009 at 06:50 PM.
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #17
Vernmotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan379 View Post
Wish I could see the pics. You guys need to host it on here or something... photobucket is blocked!

Why would photo bucket be blocked to you ???
You at work or something...I would be more than gald to e-mail them to you if you want..
Old 04-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #18
nate379
Banned

If his compressor is running on 240v, what you explained does no good!

Do like what I said and it will work just fine. Trust me, I setup the EXACT same thing a few years ago. You can even wire in an indicator light to come on when the compressor is running that way if you want.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #19
nate379
Banned

Yeah I'm at work.. working 7 days a week, 6AM-6PM. My computer at home doesn't work right now either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernmotor View Post
Why would photo bucket be blocked to you ???
You at work or something...I would be more than gald to e-mail them to you if you want..
Old 04-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #20
Vernmotor

OK here a update ..this is what I going try on the exhaust..I think if it gets more than 180deg in there I need to change how I did it. Should not get that hot. I did a temp-wire up on the fan just to see how it would pull air..It will blow out my lighter real quick on the exhaust and dam near suck it out on the intake .so I got good air flow and it is seal up good.

Here is the exhaust manfold

here is the fan inside

And here the outside

I just need to put more foam board on the outside and put more drywall inside.put the compressor in and wire it..