Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
Disranger

Default Opinions on Sherwin Williams Tile Clad and Rexthane

Hi, been doing some research and based on somethings I read here I decided to go talk to the SW store thats pretty much across the street from my house. They know me a little from before and said they would help me when it comes to doing a epoxy floor. This is what they suggested I use.

TileClad High solids Epoxy Polyamide- One heavy coat, than maybe one light coat.
Armorseal Rexthane- for a clear coat, its a high solids Aliphatic coating. One coat application

Anyone used this combo before? They original suggested just the TileClad, until I said I wanted a clear coat. They recommended the Tileclad over the Armorseal, because it would be easier to install with less hassle or chance of failure. Though I noticed the Rexthane has Armorseal 1000 clear in it.

One big reason I chose this is it seemed to me the absolute best bang for the buck. originalColorchips.com and U-coat it are both not to far from me, for slightly less money the SW seems a far superior product, the store is gonna give me great pricing on it.

Little back ground. I have a 750sq ft garage. The concrete in most areas is almost new. Though since I bought it last year, I have stain some areas pretty good from engine/trans jobs. I plan on Grinding the floor for this, just to be safe.

Thoughts opinions?
Disranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
WolverineCoatings

Default Re: Opinions on Sherwin Williams Tile Clad and Rexthane

If you are going for a cheap price per gallon then it's hard to get cheaper than a solvent based polyamide epoxy. However, if you want quality and you only want to do it once then I suggest doing some more research.

For starters I would ditch a polyamide for a higher quality cycloaliphatic that would be more resistant to yellowing, higher chemical resistance, have better abrasion resistance, and a better balance of potlife to cure time. It's pretty much better all around.

Then, I would investigate 100% solids technology as opposed to solvent based. This will give you a more durable system that is less porous. In addition you will have a quicker cure time and return to service.

Last, you may want to focus less on the price per gallon and more on the cost per square foot for the amount of thickness you end up with when it cures. In other words, if you're going to buy a product like TileClad that is only 56% solids then consider that 44% of that is going to evaporate into thin air. That means it better be about 1/2 the cost per gallon of a 100% solids system to equal the same applied cost per ft2 for the same amount of thickness when it cures/dries.

Wolverine Coatings Corporation's products are sold exclusively through Fred with AlphaGarage for Residential or DIY applications. Please contact Fred@AlphaGarage.com for your DIY project.
WolverineCoatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Disranger

I agree with the 100% solids floor. I guess I need to research to see if there is anything in my budget. I do know that this SW is 50% less than the price I was quoted with Wolverine, and about 70-80% of mil thickness. Obviously I am not pricing per gallon, but per job to complete what I needed.

At what point does it become overkill for garage coating? Your saying yellowing and possibly re-coat in the future. Those are obvious things I am concerned about, but under what conditions are those likely to happen?

Budget is a big concern for me this year. My garage is my only source of income at the moment. I want to make sure I protect my floor properly before it gets worse.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
Disranger

106 views and only one reply? There must be some more input out there. I know there are some of you that like SW products. So any other input, ideas recomendations?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
WolverineCoatings

Hi Disranger,

I wasn't aware that you had been quoted since I never have anything to do with that... Go Fred!

Anyway, what were you quoted from SW? How many gallons for how much money?

Wolverine Coatings Corporation's products are sold exclusively through Fred with AlphaGarage for Residential or DIY applications. Please contact Fred@AlphaGarage.com for your DIY project.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
Disranger

Hi,
For the Tile clad, I was quoted 3 "kits" @ $100 kit.

For the Rexthane I was quoted 2 gallons at $91.74ea

Total $483.48

I was quote from Alpha garage approx $1k roughly (I have to dig it up).
Old 04-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
Shocker

Well, I surely understand being on a budget, but you would do well going with something from Wolverine.

Everyone on this board that has used their products has had great results.

Is it cheaper if you have to strip off the sub-par coating to reapply?
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Disranger

Hey im not arguing that it sounds like its a good product. But I dont think calling everything else subpar is accurate either. Spending 1k on the floor just isnt gonna happen. For that price I could coat and finish insulation and drywall.

I think there are some other good coatings out there that are more cost effective. If I could afford a Cadillac I wouldnt be driving a Ranger!

My thinking is, a lot of people seem to use things like U-coat it and Colorschips, and have good results for the most part. Seems like the SW is a step up from them. Im sure Wolverine is another step. I just havent heard anyone using this particular combo, and am kinda curious.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
Disranger

So I spoke with another company that sells 100% solids epoxy. They claim they do not sell Cycoaliphatic epoxy it is a low grade, but woudnt say what there epoxy was made of and that it was "proprietary patent-pending formulation that is a military grade coating packaged for home use". The term military grade is often over used. It is roughly the same price though as my SW I mentioned. Does have a lifetime warranty against tire lifting though...

Last edited by Disranger; 04-17-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
rugerlady

Give a call to Epoxy-Coat. They are 100% solid cyloaliphatic epoxy. There are posts here that really like the product.
rugerlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
Disranger

I was actually considering them, but I dont like the fact they dont use a top coat, when ever other 100% solids brand does. So IMO there not an option at this point.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
AlphaGarage

Disranger - you had a couple of concerns about yellowing and possible re-coating.

All epoxies will yellow overtime, some a little, some a lot. Exposure to UV will accelerate both the time and intensity of the yellowing. It can be very visible and while some people find it distracting, others don't mind it at all and some even like it.

Our premium clear coat, EnduraShield 2254, is a urethane and by itself is UV stable, that is you can use it outside with full UV exposure and it will not yellow. And when it's used as a clear coat over an epoxy it will greatly reduce the yellowing of the epoxy. However the EnduraShield is crystal clear and the underlying epoxy will still color shift a little bit, albeit a lot less than unprotected epoxy.

As far as re-coating... On high traffic paths, or spots that receive a lot of punishment, you will see wear over time, the floor's finish will lose its high gloss luster. These are areas that you may want to re-coat just the clear coat after a few years. You do not need to go down to the concrete level, you just want to freshen up the top layer. This is a pretty easy process that will take a couple of hours in most cases.
Fred@AlphaGarage.com 877-333-GARAGE (4272)

<br><br>
AlphaGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Gambitt

Disranger,

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me. You want to protect your floor, but you don't want to spend a fortune to do it. I am as lost now as I was 3 years ago when I started reading on this forum. I started researching early for when I had by garage done. I am now almost ready for the floor coating and am still in the dark. Let me know what you decide on.
Gambitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
Maxfli500

I put SW Tile Clad in our kennel. For the most part it has held up well. The one run that has the most active dog in it has a few spots scratched off now after 4 years. I just put epoxy down, no top coat.
Maxfli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #15
Disranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambitt View Post
Disranger,

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me. You want to protect your floor, but you don't want to spend a fortune to do it. I am as lost now as I was 3 years ago when I started reading on this forum. I started researching early for when I had by garage done. I am now almost ready for the floor coating and am still in the dark. Let me know what you decide on.
I feel your pain. I have been researching off and on for about 7 years. I to am finaly ready to buy. Here is what I have learned and the approach I have taken in trying to figure out what to use.

1. If your looking for high quality, you want something that is high in solids or even 100% solid. Some HS have better materials than 100% solids. Not all 100% solids are created equal.

2. Use a top coat. Its the most important level. Determine if you need UV protection or not. Two part top coats are superior.

3. Prep, Prep,Prep!! Acid etching may do the trick for a lot of people. Seems though the only guaranteed way is to grind or shot blast. Than vacuum and wash.

4. Find out if the company selling the product is also the manufacture. They usually able to supply a good product at a better price point. Doesn't mean that you cant get a good product from a distributor though.

5. Ask questions! To the company, and to people who have done coatings before. Maybe even someone who does it for a living.

6. Do your research. Look around a bit. Analyze all your options and your price point. By the best that you can!

7. Determine what you use your garage floor. The heavier the work, the better the floor you will need. Just for storage or parking. Can probably get a way with a little less expensive coating, and still have good looks. Just examine hot tire pick up resistance.

This is how I have tried to get some sanity in selecting a product. It still leaves a lot of options on the table, but I feel the options left are all pretty decent. Most likely anything that fits the criteria above is going to be good enough for most people.

Just my .02$
Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
Gambitt

Sounds like good advice. The only problem for me is that to cover most of those bases I am going to have to spend 2k on the floor. If that is what I have to do I guess I will just have to save my pennies I only have 1500 sq ft, but that is a lot when talking about the cost of epoxy.
Gambitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:15 AM   #17
Disranger

I hear ya. You could probably be in the area of $1500-2k. That sounds in line with good pricing.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #18
WolverineCoatings

Quote:
Hi,
For the Tile clad, I was quoted 3 "kits" @ $100 kit.

For the Rexthane I was quoted 2 gallons at $91.74ea

Total $483.48

I was quote from Alpha garage approx $1k roughly (I have to dig it up).

Ok... I'm going to show you something cool...

So, from your post about the SW materials it looks like you are getting about 6 gallons of TileClad Epoxy and 2 Gallons of Rexthane Moisture Cured Urethane. Have you considered how thick your garage floor will be when it is finished? I mean, at the end of the day we are all paying a certain amount of money per square foot... BUT ALSO... per mil. In other words... if your Brand X costs you $150 and you only get 1 mil and Brand Y costs you $150 and you get 2 mils you'd be crazy to buy brand X if the GRADE of material is about the same. Right?

So, the 6 Gallons of TileClad (3 kits @ 2 Gallons) will cover the 750 square feet for about $300. But, you will need to apply it in 2 coats since the maximum thickness per coat should not exceed 7 mils (wet) per coat. Since roughly 1/2 of this is going to evaporate you will end up with around 7 mils total when it dries. (* Ask me later about my opinion of skipping the primer step... or using pigments materials to prime with... )

Your cost on the TileClad will be about $0.06 per square foot per mil...

On the Rexthane you are paying $183.48 for 2 gallons. 2 Gallons will only cover at 4.2 mils for 750ft2 and 1/3 of that will evaporate... so you will have 2.79 mils when it dries. So, you will be paying $0.088 per mil per ft2...

At the end of the project if you used every drop of what they sell you and you managed to squeeze every drop out of the rollers you could have a maximum of 9.79 mils that you will apply in 3 coats (maybe 4 if you do the urethane in 2 coats). You cost will be very close to $0.15 ft2 per mil per square foot.

The biggest difference in your quote from Fred is that you are getting alot more mils for the bucks!

For instance... at $75/gallon BondTite 1101 would cost you only $0.047 per mil per ft2... LiquaTile 1184 is the same at $0.047 per mil per ft2.

Now for the urethane... The Rexthane is almost identical to our EnduraShield 2001 (1 part Aliphatic Moisture Cure 67% solids) which doesn't hold a candle to our EnduraShield 2254 (2 Part Hybrid Polyester Urethane 90% solids!!!). I don't know what Fred sells this for right off but I'm going to guess you can get it for almost the same price per mil per ft2 as the Rexthane since it's 90% solids versus only 67% solids.

So, not only will the products from Fred actually cost you less money per ft2 per mil... you would get a higher grade of epoxy (cheap polyamide vs. hybrid cycloaliphatic), (1K moisture curing vs. 2K hybrid urethane), AND... your garage won't STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN when you apply it.

I guess what I'm saying is... sometimes a good deal isn't always as good as it seems. Basically, paying $50 per gallon for 50% solids epoxy is equal to paying $100 per gallon of 100% solids epoxy... except... the 50% solids epoxy has to be applied in multiple coats that cost you more time, work, and waiting. Solvented materials also take much longer to return to service.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #19
bcbrownie

A urethane such as Rexthane or HS poly will generally be harder and more scratch resistant than your polyamide epoxies such as Tile Clad, Armorseal 1000, or Macropoxy 646. All polyamide epoxies will yellow over time but are better at adhering to marginally prepared substrates. A urethane will yellow very little over time and thats why many coating systems call for a polyamide coating first followed by a urethane on top for uv stability.

That being said, a great bang for your buck is a rexthane system. concrete should be etched or grinded to feel like 80 grit sandpaper to allow a profile for this system to adhere to. 2 coats of Rexthane tinted to any color you want with 844 colorants will work fine. Allthough urethanes can show minor tire tracking on garage floors, you will have a durable,great looking floor with this system.
bcbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
Merlinii

I'm new to all this...
I just did my floor with SW Tile-Clad HS followed by SW Armorseal Rexthane I and I'm happy with the initial results.

Last edited by Merlinii; 06-21-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Added Picture
Merlinii is offline   Reply With Quote