Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
Tom R

Default Water Filter Filter Replacement..."STUCK"

Hi All...I have a whole house "Omnifilter" filtering the sediment from our well water...we live in the country. I had some plumbing work done and had them put in a new Omnifilter (brand name). This is one of the plastic sediment filters with the drop in cartridge...very common.

The new filter unit is difficult to get the plastic cover loose when you wish to change the drop in filter. Well, now I cannot get it loose at all. It comes with a plastic "wrench" which fits lugs on the unit...but even if I apply enough pressure to risk breaking something it just won't come loose.

Any ideas?

What about appying heat with a hair dryer to the outside of the unit...might that either expand the outer case and/or "break" whatever "seal" is holding?

Any other ideas on getting this loose?

Also, has anyone had this problem and found a way to not repeat each time...maybe vasaeline on the threads? I used the white plastic "seal" tape on my previous unit and it worked fine...maybe that isn't helping on this unit?

Any suggestions will be appreciated...don't want to break it...Tom in Two Harbors, MN
Old 04-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
TheToolMan

Default Re: Water Filter Filter Replacement..."STUCK"

I am not familiar with the filter but we use food grade grease on stuff all the time. I would but a small tube ($5) to use for next time
TheToolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
GeorgiaHybrid

Tom,

Try a LITTLE heat on the cap. Too much and it will warp. Once you get it off, use beeswax on the threads after you have cleaned them. The wax will not come off easily and will not harm anyone if a piece does break off. I have also seen guys use candle wax on these also.

You might also try tapping around the perimeter with a small dead blow to break it loose. Just don't get crazy and break it....
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Tom R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
Tom,

You might also try tapping around the perimeter with a small dead blow to break it loose. Just don't get crazy and break it....
You been talking to my wife??? You know the "just a little more will do it"! Tom R in Two Harbors, MN
Old 04-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
robin1731

Send a message via Yahoo to robin1731

Make sure when you reinstall the housing to only hand tighten it too. I have the same set-up in my house. It is kind of like an oil filter on a car. Hand tighten and you will still need the wrench to loosen it. I use a a little plumbers grease on the threads too.
robin1731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
dxdexter

I hate to state the obvious, but make sure you have shut off the supply line and depressurized the lines or depress the pressure relief button on top of the filter otherwise you will never move the housing.

As stated earlier; upon reinstalling use some plumbers grease on the o-ring and threads. Don't use Vaseline as its petroleum based.
dxdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
GeorgiaHybrid

Tom,

Nah, I haven't been talking to yours, I have one all to myself that I have to listen to..... I think they all come pre-programmed to offer that response... It ranks right up there with "Are you sure you know what you are doing" or "Don't you have enough tools? What is THIS one for?"
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
Tom R

Relatively gentle hammer assist on the plastic wrench did the trick...did not get to the heating stage. Thanks all.

Plumbers grease (along with careful hand tightening) seems like the easiest answer?? I assume most heardware stores would have "plumbers grease"? That isn't the grey stuff is it???

Thanks...Tom R
Old 04-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Bustawrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post

Plumbers grease (along with careful hand tightening) seems like the easiest answer?? I assume most heardware stores would have "plumbers grease"? That isn't the grey stuff is it???

Thanks...Tom R

This is what you want............

http://www.herchem.com/specs/plumbers_grease.pdf

You can get it at Home Depot, Ace, True-Value, etc...........Just smear a light coat on the threads and o-ring and don't go all gorilla monsoon when you tighten it back up, the o-ring does the sealing.
Bustawrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
IDASHO

I have a similar unit, with similar problems.

If you are doing it right, then you are lubing the O-ring with vaseline, go one step furter and lightly coat the threads of the filter housing with vaseline too.

It helps. Tremendously!

As for the stuck filter you have now, get the proper wrench. It will come off, if not by hand, with the help of a rubber mallet tapping on the end of the wrench.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
Tom R

Thanks All...got it loose by tapping on the wrench with a mallet...will add plumbers grease to threads and o-ring...and NOT "just tighten ONE more time! " Appreciate the help. Tom R in Two Harbors, MN...currently light snow!
Old 04-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
DHS

I too have been using vaseline for the last 5 years and have never had a problem with it. I also coat threads like IDASHO. Here in Florida it is currently in the 80s here.
DHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
dxdexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS View Post
I too have been using vaseline for the last 5 years and have never had a problem with it. I also coat threads like IDASHO. Here in Florida it is currently in the 80s here.
Vaseline, being a petroleum based product, has the potential to break down some types of rubber seals. Perhaps not the ones in your system. I am unsure of whether it can contribute to water toxicity or not, but I'm not taking any chances for the sake of a few bucks.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #14
IDASHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdexter View Post
Vaseline, being a petroleum based product, has the potential to break down some types of rubber seals. Perhaps not the ones in your system. I am unsure of whether it can contribute to water toxicity or not, but I'm not taking any chances for the sake of a few bucks.
Vaseline is recommended for use by the manufacturer of these filter systems.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #15
dxdexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASHO View Post
Vaseline is recommended for use by the manufacturer of these filter systems.
I stand corrected if this is true for the Omnifilter, but others should be wary since not all manufacturers are the same. My Envirogard filter specifically specifies a silicone based food grade grease. Obviously the manufacturers recommendations should rule.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #16
IDASHO

AHA! Hold on there. I was wrong.

I just rechecked the user guide that comes with the filters (I use OmniFilter T01-SS)

*Lubricate O-ring with clean silicone grease. Reassemble housing and hand tighten.

Ive always used vaseline though... and Im still alive
Old 04-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #17
nate379
Banned

I just use Silglide on mine. I use it for all O rings. Napa sells it, about $5 for a tube.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #18
jumpyg

My filter housing is also very hard to remove. The plastic wrench that came with it slipped and deformed so it's useless. My 12" tongue-and-groove pliers are a little small. I was thinking of getting some 16" Channellocks that only cost about $22 at Lowes. Hopefully they would be big enough.
jumpyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #19
nissan_crawler

I just use crisco on mine.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #20
Jerm

I have the same filter and they are a pain to remove if there is any pressure on the system. I use http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1267 on my housing, works well and is safe.