Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
bob944
bob944

Default Base trim ideas?

Anybody have any good CHEAP ideas for putting some kind of base moulding around my garage? On half my garage there is drywall that goes all the way down to the concrete floor, and on the other half there is a 12" concrete wall and then drywall above that. The floor is epoxy coated, and I'll be painting the walls soon, but I need something to clean up the lower area. I'd like something that will keep the jack, etc. from banging holes in the drywall and still give a uniform look around the garage.

I'm thinking maybe just 2x6 or 2x12 pressure treated perhaps with a round-over edge routed for looks, and then painted a contrasting color to the walls. Diamond plate would be nice, but is definitely off the budget scale. ABS plastic sheet might work well, but I'm guessing that gets pricey too. I probably need 60-80 l.f. roughly.

Ideas? Thanks.
Andy
bob944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:17 AM   #2
snorvet

I would go with the treated if its going to get bumped quite a bit. you may have to wait a while to paint it. it seems that new treated lumber takes a while to dry out. After it dries out i'd primer first before paint. You could probably go with 1x6, or prerouted deck boards that would be cheaper than the 2x6 or 2x12

I'm thinking of putting up two strips of treated 1x6 on my walls to hang my wheelbarrow and garden trailer on to avoid dings in the drywall
snorvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-23-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
6t7gto

I used RFP (reinforced fiberglas panel) to trim off the bottom of mine.

david
6t7gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:16 AM   #4
bob944
bob944

I thought about 1x material, but then I started thinking that it might have a higher tendency to warp. I think it would look better with the thinner lumber, but I would have to buy descent grade boards that wouldn't cup terribly. Your post actually got me to thinking about synthetic decking boards as an option. They would definitely be more expensive, but they would not warp, and I could get a nice grey color that would complement the scheme without any need to paint. My plan is to silicone whatever I use to the epoxy floor so that I can hose the place out without worry of water getting behind the base and soaking into the drywall.

Andy
Old 03-23-2006, 06:17 AM   #5
bob944
bob944

David....how did you finish the edge of the FRP....or did you? I thought of those panels I've seen at HoPo, but I wondered about the various options for finishing the top edge.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
harnett

Default base

If you like the look standard industrial rubber base is available in 4" and 6" heights and is very cheap. For a little more money Johnsonite makes a thicker rubber base that looks like wood base, metal, or hundreds of color choice. All very inexpensive. Waterproof and ding and dent proof.
harnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
6t7gto

Bob,
i bought the trim pieces that are used with the RFP.

david
6t7gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:09 PM   #8
rockwithjason
Union Wireman

what about 1 inch plate steel? :P
rockwithjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #9
Bill K

Hardie board cement board siding comes in 12 ft lengths
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote