Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Dq383500

Default Anyone try a tig gas lens with pyrex cup

I have seen these on ebay and they look like they could help me with some aluminum welds. I have trouble seeing the weld puddle at times, and thought maybe the clear pyrex cup could help.My question is does the pyrex cup last?@ $50.00 they are kinda pricey,or should i just continue to work on my techneque, I can use all the help i can get!
Dq383500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
rockwithjason
Union Wireman

Default Re: Anyone try a tig gas lens with pyrex cup

i don't know how they hold up but i have watched several videos featuring see thru cups and they look pretty sweet. being that its pyrex its hard to imagine that they would melt or scar.
rockwithjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Defender Chassis

I personally have never used a pyrex cup but don't see the benefit. However, my current torch is set up with a gas lense. It allows me to pull the tungsten out a lot farther from the cup. It seems logical to me because you get better visibilty of the puddle without any obstruction. I think if you tried one you would like it.
Defender Chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
Dq383500

Thanks rock and defender,yea I guess being pyrex it should hold up.I picked up a regular gas lens and sure notice a difference. I did pull the tungsten further out, and can see much better.Thanx, if that doesn't work for me i'm going for the clear pyrex to stay in the gas shield.dang breezes
Dq383500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
senlow

It sounds like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Forget about the gadgets, and practice practice practice. The best way to improve your welding is to run more beads.
senlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
307WYLD
Banned

The cup is very handy for sensitive metals like Titanium. If your shield gas goes away the metal gets contaminated by oxygen and nitrogen which is very bad. Titanium at it's melting point is very different than at its solidus. A contaminated bead won't have anywhere near the strength.

Not that you plan on welding titanium anytime soon. Just saying.
307WYLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
rsanter

I think it would only be a benifit to most of us if you are having to use one of the larger cups. for the small cut I dont have any trouble seeing

bob
Old 05-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
scottguehne

Bob, I have used the pyrex cups before. I think the benefit I got from using them was really from the gas diffuser inside. The fact that the cup was clear was no help to me whatsoever. You may think that you will be able to see through the cup to visualize your weld, but you really can't, or at least I couldn't. Like I said though, I had a gas diffuser inside the pyrex cup that really seemed to aid in the gas coverage of the weld. As far as how durable the pyrex cups are? My only suggestion is to not drop them. They seem to be very brittle, and break easily. Aside from that, I wouldn't worry about damaging them from heat or anything else.
scottguehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
fabman_52

Send a message via Yahoo to fabman_52

I have used them at work, the only benefit I have found is when welding around a corner.
You can't see through them like you can through a piece of glass, but once you get used to them they really do help in certain situations.
But the price really doesn't justify using them all the time, 98% of the time I use my standard cups.
I work in AreoSpace and they tend to be a little more fussy about their welds.
George.
fabman_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #10
MNDucatiMan

I second the suggestion of the gas lens. One thing I'd add is a cheater lens in your helmet. I have a couple different power magnification lenses that drop inside my optrel satellite helmet. Making things 4x bigger helps a bunch as well.
MNDucatiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
fabman_52

Send a message via Yahoo to fabman_52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDucatiMan View Post
I second the suggestion of the gas lens. One thing I'd add is a cheater lens in your helmet. I have a couple different power magnification lenses that drop inside my optrel satellite helmet. Making things 4x bigger helps a bunch as well.
Cheater Lens! Now your telling your age!
fabman_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #12
Sroufe7

I used to have one until my roommate drop the torch on the floor and broke it....

IDK if it helps out or not, but I bought it with a kit and had a bunch of gas lenses with it.
Sroufe7 is offline   Reply With Quote