Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default Oil Drain Pans

Alright fellas... I've had it. I'm done with those crappy plastic oil catch pans that you buy at the typical national autoparts chain. I'm just done with them...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Garage Journal, click here.

Last edited by Ryan; 03-01-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
Rewind97

Default Re: Oil Drain Pans

I agree, there must be something better.......but I don't know what.
Rewind97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
GMCGarage

I use crappy plastic pans, then pour into 5 gallon pails, and then when at about 3 of them, put on craigslist for the oil burning heating crowd. never had issues getting rid of the oil. Usually find free pails here and there too.
GMCGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
ChaseDE

Unfortunately I have cats. Fortunately the big cat litter pails make EXCELLENT oil receptacles.

I use the cheaper plastic drain pans, then transfer.

I place an old towel on top of the pail after transfer and put the drain pan on top.

There is a guy here who fabbed a whole oil change cabinet for his garage which was pretty snazzy though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catoil.jpg (115.8 KB, 230 views)

Last edited by ChaseDE; 03-01-2017 at 10:23 AM.
ChaseDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
madison069

I have a 3 gallon plastic pan that is closed on the top, just have to remove the plug.

One thing I have notice is if I don't have the gasket/cardboard on the cap then the drain spout will leak. Otherwise I have no issues and mine actually resides above my wife's car in the ceiling when I don't use it.

Items I'm selling on Ebay!
Ebay Items being sold!
madison069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
rlitman

I vacuum extract my oil into a 7 gallon container (an old forklift propane tank that has a liquid level gauge). I still use my funnel top oil catch pan for removing the filter from two of my vehicles (and for draining the top-side filter from my Subaru), but it'll take years before I fill it up again, as it holds around 10 quarts.

I still use these to take oil in for recycling:

The large lid makes them easy to fill and empty, and they seal reasonably well.
For transport, I happen to have a steel box with nice handles that perfectly holds two, and I've put newspaper on the bottom to catch drips. Before I had that, some rags in a milk crate served well to protect my car from the fact that no matter how clean you try to be, these containers will always carry some oil residue.

For me, my biggest concern is in transport. A mere quart of used oil spilled in my car is a recipe for an unwanted carpet replacement. I want a container, preferably close to but no bigger than 5 gallons, with a screw on lid that I can feel comfortable will not leak no matter what I do with it. And it has to be easy to pour into, AND easy to pour out of, without making a mess, so it has to have a lid shaped more like a spout and less like a drum head. It also needs to empty quickly, so re-using old 5 gallon paint containers with pop-up spouts wouldn't fly, because the cap is too small.

Last edited by rlitman; 03-01-2017 at 10:31 AM.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
HOTRODPRIMER

Before the environmentalist decided to save us from ourselves my granddad drained the used oil in a ditch now we are more environmentally aware I use the plastic pans Ryan was talking about.

I also have a reclaiming station within 2 miles from home so the plastic pans with the screw cap is easy to pour out at the station. HRP
HOTRODPRIMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #8
notadoktor

I use a Lisle oil drain pan (https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-17942-B...isle+drain+pan). I'm pretty happy with it as it's quite sturdy. My only complaints are minor, when I bought it there was a sharp burr where the mold halves came together but was easily removed with a razor blade. Also, the small turn down of the spout will drip a bit of oil after you've poured but I just take a shop towel and give the inside a quick wipe and it's all good.

As for storing and transporting oil, I wait to empty the drain pan until after I've put the new oil in and just reuse the container (I usually buy the 5qt jugs). I have thought about getting a 3 or 5 gallon bucket with a pouring lid but just haven't gotten around to getting one yet.
notadoktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #9
wretched73

Quote:
Originally Posted by notadoktor View Post
I use a Lisle oil drain pan (https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-17942-B...isle+drain+pan). I'm pretty happy with it as it's quite sturdy. My only complaints are minor, when I bought it there was a sharp burr where the mold halves came together but was easily removed with a razor blade. Also, the small turn down of the spout will drip a bit of oil after you've poured but I just take a shop towel and give the inside a quick wipe and it's all good.

As for storing and transporting oil, I wait to empty the drain pan until after I've put the new oil in and just reuse the container (I usually buy the 5qt jugs). I have thought about getting a 3 or 5 gallon bucket with a pouring lid but just haven't gotten around to getting one yet.
I use the same oil pan and i like it.

I take all my used oil and put it in an old 5 gallon bucket with a god sealing lid from the Home Cheapo. Once full I leave it at autozone and they recycle the oil. Work perfect and i only have one bucket of used oil to watch out for
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
wes73

I use a plastic pan and then pour back into the gallon jug I just emptied into the vehicle. There are several farms around me that have oil drop offs that they use for their outside furnaces. I just drop off the full container.
wes73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
vavet

I use the plastic pan and pour into the gallon or 5 quart jugs that the new oil came in. Our local transfer stations accept oil, filters, paints, and antifreeze from county residents. I have a plethora of Lowe's 5 gallon buckets. I bought a bunch when we moved to save the aquarium water so we wouldn't have to go through the pain of getting the water chemistry right again. We spent $20 on buckets to save a single fish that we paid $3 for. Maybe I should start using one of those instead.
vavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #12
CoogarXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavet View Post
I use the plastic pan and pour into the gallon or 5 quart jugs that the new oil came in.
That's what I do. I wait until I have 5-10 of them full, and list them for free on craigslist. Somebody calls, arranges to pick them up, and I set them at the end of my driveway. I come home from work and they are gone. I don't have to deal with the mess or the empty bottles.

Last edited by CoogarXR; 03-01-2017 at 11:36 AM.
CoogarXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:44 AM   #13
Mech55

I have 5 gallon buckets with lids that seal nice and tight. They stack nice in the corner until time to take them in.
Mech55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:44 AM   #14
Keel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCGarage View Post
I use crappy plastic pans, then pour into 5 gallon pails, and then when at about 3 of them, put on craigslist for the oil burning heating crowd. never had issues getting rid of the oil. Usually find free pails here and there too.
This.. I have a nice plastic one that seals nice if you wanted to bring it to the parts store to recycle it.. but I drain it into a 5gallon bucket.. and when a few are full.. the local shop with a waste oil heater thanks me.. dump in his tank and go home with the 5g buckets
Keel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #15
EasyTiger864

Here's the one I have. https://www.amazon.com/FloTool-42003...=oil+drain+pan
It has a o-ring in the cap so it hasn't leaked on me yet. I also like how it can be stored standing up which keeps the oil away from the cap. The only thing I don't like is the splash back when all that hot oil or trans fluid starts pouring out of the car.
EasyTiger864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #16
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyTiger864 View Post
Here's the one I have. https://www.amazon.com/FloTool-42003...=oil+drain+pan
It has a o-ring in the cap so it hasn't leaked on me yet. I also like how it can be stored standing up which keeps the oil away from the cap. The only thing I don't like is the splash back when all that hot oil or trans fluid starts pouring out of the car.
Still crappy plastic... but the design looks better than what I use. I typically use these damned things:

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-11838...=oil+drain+pan
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #17
trainer

The problem is that we are still changing oil the same way they did 100 years ago.
I'd love to see the OEMs design a system where the oil and filter is contained in a replaceable tank that could be changed like an ink jet cartridge. The old tank could be returned for a deposit/ core refund and be recycled and refilled. The tanks could be designed so it is impossible to use the wrong oil.
trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #18
Bryan Burns

I bought this this made in U.S.A. galvanized steel drain pan in 2013 and I'm very happy with it. $12.67 and I got free shipping.
I transfer used oil from it to plastic jugs and drop the jugs off at the public works facility two blocks from work. They have an unlocked drop-off cabinet outside so I'm able to just drive up to it. Activity is monitored with a camera (according to a sign) to discourage contraband.
Bryan Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #19
EOC_Jason

I use the Flo Tool too, needed the capacity for my diesel...

I've seen the Hopkins on clearance at HD for $4 recently...

If there are any machine shops near you they always have lots of 5 gallon pails with the nozzles on the ends that they get way oil, coolant, etc, etc in... I would just fill up a couple of those then take them to the auto parts store or quick lube and let them drain it in their bins...
EOC_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #20
EOC_Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainer View Post
The problem is that we are still changing oil the same way they did 100 years ago.
I'd love to see the OEMs design a system where the oil and filter is contained in a replaceable tank that could be changed like an ink jet cartridge. The old tank could be returned for a deposit/ core refund and be recycled and refilled. The tanks could be designed so it is impossible to use the wrong oil.
If they are like ink jets then it would be cheaper to buy a new car than get a new oil cartridge...
EOC_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote