Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Vintage Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default The Delta Rockwell 34-600

Years ago, Idropped byCurtis Garrett's shop to pick up a band saw that he had restored for me. While there, I took notice of his old Delta table saw and fell in love. I ...
To read the rest of this blog entry from The Garage Journal, click here.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #2

Default Re: The Delta Rockwell 34-600

Wow that looks a lot like an old Craftsman saw I still have lingering in the garage somewhere. Fence is a little different and color. Nice restoration on that saw though.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
neilc

Great looking saw Ryan.

That saw and your Festool stuff will be a great jumping off point for some nice cabinets.

The restoration is really well done!

neil
neilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
Corndoggeh

I have the same exact saw too! Restored as well! They're surprisingly powerful saws too, 9in blade. They're quite nice looking. My pictures don't do quite as much justice though...

If you figure out a good way to have an out feed table for the saw let me know!

Last edited by Corndoggeh; 03-10-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Corndoggeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
Brad54

When I finally get set up to do some wood working, it's going to be in a small out-building, away from my cars and hot-rodding shop. Saw dust gets EVERYWHERE.
And unless you have a surgically clean shop, there's always oil and fluids that will stain wood.

There are a lot of plans out there for small shed wood shops.

-Brad
Old 03-10-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
When I finally get set up to do some wood working, it's going to be in a small out-building, away from my cars and hot-rodding shop. Saw dust gets EVERYWHERE.
And unless you have a surgically clean shop, there's always oil and fluids that will stain wood.

There are a lot of plans out there for small shed wood shops.

-Brad
Saw dust does get everywhere... Unless you have a plan for that and I do. More on that later, but I've got a modern "system" of tools that I'm testing now and even when routing, there is little to no dust. Reviews soon.

But yeah, my shop is stupid clean. I have a mental illness - I can't be around shit that's not in its place.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #7
poppinjohnnies

I have that identical table saw, but mine doesn't look nearly as good as yours. Good saw, but I have a lot of issues with the fence.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=350569

I'm growing older but not up.
poppinjohnnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #8
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppinjohnnies View Post
I have that identical table saw, but mine doesn't look nearly as good as yours. Good saw, but I have a lot of issues with the fence.
I think that's pretty common. Mine is good and square, but I feel like I need to check it every time I set up a cut.

I know their are modern options for replacements, but I can't bring myself to screw up the vintage look. My priorities are pretty ridiculous.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
elguappo

I have a 34-500, which has the wider base and the 4" jointer running off the motor with dual outputs.
Got it free a couple of years ago, waiting to be restored for one of my sons.
Your's is super clean, great example.
elguappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #10
Empty Pockets

Nice looking saw, looks like it came out of the box, yesterday.

I feel your pain... the last time the wife wanted new kitchen cabinets, the proposals, once priced out, looked like a phone number (area code and all)

Predictions are always hard, especially about the future.
-Yogi Berra
Empty Pockets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #11
BreeStephany

Send a message via Skype™ to BreeStephany

I have this exact saw with the jointer on the side. It was my grandfathers and my father and I currently share it in a shop we share. Absolutely love it!
Old 03-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #12
Ryan
Administrator

My first project... more later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (134.4 KB, 154 views)
Old 03-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #13
Zeke

Location: Senior Memberóin more ways than one in Long Beach CA

Great job on the storage rack. I recommend that you get a prop or outrigger for the outboard side if you are cutting a full sheet off to the right side to prevent tipping. And the best accessory is a GRRipper.

Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #14
larry4406

Zeke - I had to google the GRRipper. Thanks for the tip!
larry4406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #15
LegacyIndustrial
Alliance Member

Mind your digits son!!
LegacyIndustrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #16
gahrajmahal

Ryan, Zeke has the KEY suggestion for you. I used my portable contractor size for years before making the simple modification of creating an out-feed table for my saw whenever I use it. To make it simple I made my saw table height match my 8 ft. plastic folding table. This is the kind you set up to add extra seating for your Thanksgiving meal.

You can see that I now have 8 feet to support long boards as I rip them to size.

My main tip for keeping your digits is to use the saw like you are shooting pool. If right handed, you guide your wood into the blade with your right hand. Your left hand remains with your thumb hooked over the closest table edge never venturing towards the blade. If necessary, use a push stick to hold the board against the fence. The tendency is to watch the blade, but you should watch the wood against the fence always attempting to keep the board edge tight against it.

As for your project, I teach carpentry class adult education and several of my students have tackled this exact project. When cutting sheet goods to size the safest method is to support the 4 x 8 sheet on the floor or 8 ft plastic table. Have a 1 inch sheet of styrofoam between the plywood and the table/floor and adjust the blade to cut 1/2" deeper than your sheet. Use a circular saw to cut to rough size, then use your new table saw to cut to precise and parallel size.

Screwing into the plywood edge is always sketchy and I recommend pre-drilling or using fasteners like Barrel Nuts where you can use a threaded screw.

Have fun!

What mom always told me when I wanted to give up.
gahrajmahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #17
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Great job on the storage rack. I recommend that you get a prop or outrigger for the outboard side if you are cutting a full sheet off to the right side to prevent tipping. And the best accessory is a GRRipper.

I've got one... and you are right - super great. Makes me feel a little safer anyway. This thing still scares the shit out of me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahrajmahal View Post
Ryan, Zeke has the KEY suggestion for you. I used my portable contractor size for years before making the simple modification of creating an out-feed table for my saw whenever I use it. To make it simple I made my saw table height match my 8 ft. plastic folding table. This is the kind you set up to add extra seating for your Thanksgiving meal.

You can see that I now have 8 feet to support long boards as I rip them to size.

My main tip for keeping your digits is to use the saw like you are shooting pool. If right handed, you guide your wood into the blade with your right hand. Your left hand remains with your thumb hooked over the closest table edge never venturing towards the blade. If necessary, use a push stick to hold the board against the fence. The tendency is to watch the blade, but you should watch the wood against the fence always attempting to keep the board edge tight against it.

As for your project, I teach carpentry class adult education and several of my students have tackled this exact project. When cutting sheet goods to size the safest method is to support the 4 x 8 sheet on the floor or 8 ft plastic table. Have a 1 inch sheet of styrofoam between the plywood and the table/floor and adjust the blade to cut 1/2" deeper than your sheet. Use a circular saw to cut to rough size, then use your new table saw to cut to precise and parallel size.

Screwing into the plywood edge is always sketchy and I recommend pre-drilling or using fasteners like Barrel Nuts where you can use a threaded screw.

Have fun!
Yep, I'm on this... plans to come forward soon.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:17 PM   #18
HSpencer
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
My first project... more later.
Ryan

Super nice lumber storage rack. Great for cutoffs.
Great Job on it!

Best Regards
Herb
Old 03-13-2017, 11:36 PM   #19
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv

Beautiful saw. That man does awfully nice work!

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34014

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=222480

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer2 View Post
Without tools and stuff to fix, my life would be boring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Celtic View Post
Tools are cool.. being able to use them is cooler.. being able to use them in front of someone who has no idea and ends up in awe is priceless..

Guess it boils down to them and us.. I like being us..:thumbup:
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #20
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSpencer View Post
Ryan

Super nice lumber storage rack. Great for cutoffs.
Great Job on it!

Best Regards
Herb
Thanks man... It's the first time I've ever tried to make anything "nice" out of wood.

Like I said, the idea here is that I need to make cabinets for the wife that will go inside our dining room. Before I attempt that kind of quality, I'm gonna tackle a couple of projects to get used to the medium.

Obviously, this is just a lumper cart. Nothing special. But I really wanted to work on my measuring, layout, and cut accuracy. My joints actually ended up really tight and the whole thing is dead square. I'm super happy with it from that stand point.

Next, I'm gonna build a woodworking type bench using domino joints, nicer materials, etc...

Once that is done, I'm gonna do an island for my office stepping things up again....

And then, finally, the cabinets for the wife.