Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default Festool Meets A "Mechanic"

So, I've been flirting with this idea for a while nowand essentially, here's how it went down:

My wife has been wanting some built-in cabinets in our dining roomand acouple of months ago, we started fielding quotes. They were outrageous...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Garage Journal, click here.

Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
tatra

Default Re: Festool Meets A "Mechanic"

Looking forward to updates. Just gotta learn to subscribe to this thread as I have never felt the urge to before. Look at some of AvE' s vids about Festool. Kinda surprising what you get for the amount they want . Agree with the 2 camps . Good luck .
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
slodat

Nicely done on the video, Ryan! While I am undeniably a woodworker, I do very much like a clean shop. I love using my Festool's. So much so that I often feel like an advertisement for them. They are a joy to use, and help me make some cool ish. Looking forward to see what you make with them!
slodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatra View Post
Looking forward to updates. Just gotta learn to subscribe to this thread as I have never felt the urge to before. Look at some of AvE' s vids about Festool. Kinda surprising what you get for the amount they want . Agree with the 2 camps . Good luck .
I haven't been using this stuff long enough to argue with AVE and I love his videos, but...

I assume you are talking about his TS55 teardown? I honestly think that was a click bait video for him. If you actually watch the video, most of what he find is pretty damn well made. And his major complaints?

The power cable... Honestly, this proprietary cable is one of my favorite things about Festool thus far. I have the same power cable for every one of my tools. In fact, it never leaves my dust collector. I love that.

Second, the rear bush vs a bearing out back. Even his beloved makita grinder features the same bush for rear main support.

In any case and like I said, I might end up hating this stuff. I'm still early in my efforts.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #5
AP2TUDE

I dig this because it's exactly my situation. I don't have space for a dedicated wood shop in my standard garage, and I can't afford to give up any of that space that I use for mechanic and detail work, so I needed something that was not only very clean, but something that works well with the overall aesthetic of the garage. Festool does all that. The only downside is the price, but so far I have been very, very pleased with all the results I have gotten from everything I have used so far. I am excited to see what you do with it all, and your reviews of the tools. You have a ton of stuff I haven't bought yet, but since our tracks are so parallel, I'm stoked to see your results.
AP2TUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
K13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I haven't been using this stuff long enough to argue with AVE and I love his videos, but...

I assume you are talking about his TS55 teardown? I honestly think that was a click bait video for him. If you actually watch the video, most of what he find is pretty damn well made. And his major complaints?

The power cable... Honestly, this proprietary cable is one of my favorite things about Festool thus far. I have the same power cable for every one of my tools. In fact, it never leaves my dust collector. I love that.

Second, the rear bush vs a bearing out back. Even his beloved makita grinder features the same bush for rear main support.

In any case and like I said, I might end up hating this stuff. I'm still early in my efforts.
While I agree about your comments about his click bait aspect I think he does have valid points about these two complaints.

You are looking at the proprietary plug from the aspect of someone who has all Festool and has more than one piece that one could grab from if something happened but from the perspective of someone who only has one tool it would be a bit of a pain if one lost or damaged the cord to the point of it not being usable.

I found his point on the bushing to be they went the extra mile on all the other parts in that area of the saw why skimp on th bushing. It's a high end tool that should be built to higher standard than a Makita grinder.

Although I would never have the need to drop the kind of money on Festool I look forward to your "reviews".

Last edited by K13; 03-27-2017 at 01:26 PM.
K13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by K13 View Post
While I agree about your comments about his click bait aspect I think he does have valid points about these two complaints.

You are looking at the proprietary plug from the aspect of someone who has all Festool and has more than one piece that one could grab from if something happened but from the perspective of someone who only has one tool it would be a bit of a pain if one lost or damaged the cord to the point of it not being usable.

I found his point on the bushing to be they went the extra mile on all the other parts in that area of the saw why skimp on th bushing. It's a high end tool that should be built to higher standard than a Makita grinder.

Although I would never have the need to drop the kind of money on Festool I look forward to your "reviews".
Yeah and he certainly knows WAYYYYYY more about this stuff than I do. My impression is off the cuff for sure... I guess time will tell!
Old 03-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
ilovevocs

Ryan,

Looking forward to following your adventure here on GJ. I recently made a departure into wood working and was toying around with festool.

Went the cheaper route with a bosch table saw and router. My solution for dust collection was to just work outside as weather permitted.
ilovevocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #9
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovevocs View Post
Ryan,

Looking forward to following your adventure here on GJ. I recently made a departure into wood working and was toying around with festool.

Went the cheaper route with a bosch table saw and router. My solution for dust collection was to just work outside as weather permitted.
I've got far enough into this stuff at this point to know how much fun a planer and a joiner would be. And with my love of vintage machinery, I know if I every do get one of each they will both be older than me and sans any kind of dust collection. Given that, they would have to be on mobile bases so that I could move them outside.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #10
justbummin1

Last week I did a couple of wood projects in my garage and DESTROYED it!!! I told my wife F it I am drinking the green Kool-aid and am getting some new toys. I am looking forward to your projects because I know enough to know that I have a lot of learning to do with wood but good tools make every job some much easier and more fun to do. Now if I wasnt such a cheap bastard I would go nuts and order a bunch at one shot like you did.

Rob
Old 03-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #11
danski0224

Quote:
So, I've been flirting with this idea for a while nowand essentially, here's how it went down:

My wife has been wanting some built-in cabinets in our dining roomand acouple of months ago, we started fielding quotes. They were outrageous...
What door style are you thinking about?

Did you get a Domino?
danski0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #12
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danski0224 View Post
What door style are you thinking about?

Did you get a Domino?
Frameless... and yeah, I got the small domino. In fact, I just used it for the first time. Pretty cool!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #13
LegacyIndustrial
Alliance Member

Great presentation. Looking forward to the updates!!
LegacyIndustrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #14
rlitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovevocs View Post
... My solution for dust collection was to just work outside as weather permitted.
If I did that, I'd never get anything done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K13 View Post

You are looking at the proprietary plug from the aspect of someone who has all Festool and has more than one piece that one could grab from if something happened but ...
That's who Festool is marketing to. The high end traveling cabinet makers love their stuff because it is amazingly portable, and the dust collection means you can do real work inside someone's house and have minimal cleanup.

Ryan's comment about leaving the cord in the vacuum struck a chord with me. That really sums it up, and makes a simple feature all the more impressive.

For my part, I don't mind a messy shop. But I still don't want to breathe in dust. And the more I read about the subject, the more I am a believer that the only good way to keep sawdust down is to remove it at the source. As such, a tool with good dust collection is important.

I've been oogling their strobe lit jigsaw for years, but I'm so happy with my Bosch that the price difference prevents me from making the jump. I completely understand how cool the Domino system is, but for my own projects I prefer traditional wood joints, and am happy to use a biscuit or two when it serves my purposes. To that end, I just made a tenoning jig for my tablesaw, and have no aversion to chopping out a mortise with a chisel.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:25 PM   #15
TNBurban

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
If I did that, I'd never get anything done.

That's who Festool is marketing to. The high end traveling cabinet makers love their stuff because it is amazingly portable, and the dust collection means you can do real work inside someone's house and have minimal cleanup.

Ryan's comment about leaving the cord in the vacuum struck a chord with me. That really sums it up, and makes a simple feature all the more impressive.

For my part, I don't mind a messy shop. But I still don't want to breathe in dust. And the more I read about the subject, the more I am a believer that the only good way to keep sawdust down is to remove it at the source. As such, a tool with good dust collection is important.

I've been oogling their strobe lit jigsaw for years, but I'm so happy with my Bosch that the price difference prevents me from making the jump. I completely understand how cool the Domino system is, but for my own projects I prefer traditional wood joints, and am happy to use a biscuit or two when it serves my purposes. To that end, I just made a tenoning jig for my tablesaw, and have no aversion to chopping out a mortise with a chisel.
The domino joints are way better than the traditional biscuit joints. And the domino xl joints are extremely strong. Both are about as close to a thru tenon you can get.

For me the biggest things with Festool are

1. Dust collection of course
2. Accuracy
3. Repeatability
4. Mobility
TNBurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #16
rlitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBurban View Post
The domino joints are way better than the traditional biscuit joints...
I won't argue with that at all. I did not mean to imply that a biscuit joiner is a substitute for a Domino. I like biscuits for places where a spline works well, as well as for places where it helps in glueup alignment. But where a real tenon would be stronger, that's what I'll do.

Quote:
I've got far enough into this stuff at this point to know how much fun a planer and a joiner would be. And with my love of vintage machinery, I know if I every do get one of each they will both be older than me and sans any kind of dust collection. Given that, they would have to be on mobile bases so that I could move them outside.
I've never understood why home shops have power jointers. I have a Stanley #7 cast iron bodied jointer plane, and with a workpiece firmly secured to the workbench, I can plane it to a glue joint ready line just as quickly as a power machine, often with better results.

As for planing, I used to have that all done for me at the lumberyard, but since they've gone out of business, I need to rethink those plans. However, for the most part, I'm fine with working my plans around the standard sizes available in S4S lumber. Now if I owned a CNC (where it's best to be able to control the stock thickness going in), or if I did a lot of work with home milled lumber, then I'd probably have a planer already.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:39 AM   #17
jarhead

Definately following your adventure. I had to seperate my wood shop from my mechanic shop.

Joe
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #18
Ryan
Administrator

Why have a power jointer?!? Cuz it's fun! And the reason I want one is not to create jointable surfaces so much... I want to be able to create one perfectly flat side to be used as a reference for the planer. I would suck at this with your no. 7.

As for pre-dimensioned lumber... that stuff is never accurately dimensioned when I buy it. In fact, I'm dealing with that right now. I just assume have my own jointer and planer so I have less variables to worry about.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #19
moparfreak

As someone who has a combined wood shop / mechanics shop / DD garage, I can say I certainly understand the frustration of getting wood dust everywhere.

For the last few years I've been focused on WW projects primarily and also setting up the shop at the same time. This means good DC has been last thought, and I power through using all my tools as they spray fine dust every which way. But, now I've started going back through and starting to add a few vacs in different places and preparing to buy a full fledged cyclone dust collector to handle the large tools. I'm also starting to build out each power tool station to accomodate effective dust collection hoods. I think it's definitely possible to get a low-dust or dust-free WW shop w/o investing in green, but it takes a lot of creativity, work, and money spent in other places (ducting, DC machine, etc.). Yes, for now the Charger's covered w/ dust, but that will change. Regardless of how you do it, it's cool to see how the makeup and capability of a shop evolves based on the projects come in and out.

You know as they say, no car or MOPAR!!

My Mopar / Woodworking shop build:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=254480
moparfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #20
LeeG

For years I scoffed at the people who spend the big money on Festool. I started with a router and was amazed at how good the dust collection was. I have since added most of their tool line to my shop and been very pleased.

One tip on using the track saw with sheet goods: get a sheet of foam insulation. Lay it on the ground and put the full sheet on top. Cut it down to manageable size with the saw depth set to just penetrate 1/8" or so into the insulation. Both sides of the cut will be supported through the cut and you don't have to manhandle full size sheets up on a table.