Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default My Festool Foundation

Part 2 of the series is out... This is the last of the sort of introductory videos. Next week, I'm gonna start building something with all of this stuff and see what's what. So, stay tuned...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Garage Journal, click here.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
RogerL

Default Re: My Festool Foundation

I started following this video series after you posted on FOG. It's well done and casual, which I can appreciate. And I like that you aren't afraid to give it to Festool when they deserve it.

I have a strange question and please don't take this wrong, but. Why is your left arm so skinny? Have you by chance had some spinal issues?

I ask because I have.
RogerL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerL View Post
I started following this video series after you posted on FOG. It's well done and casual, which I can appreciate. And I like that you aren't afraid to give it to Festool when they deserve it.

I have a strange question and please don't take this wrong, but. Why is your left arm so skinny? Have you by chance had some spinal issues?

I ask because I have.
Holy crap, you are either super observant or my arm is way more noticeable than I thought it was. You are making me self conscience as hell. Thanks for that!

But seriously.... Yeah. I've had a ton of spinal issues and am just getting over my last surgery. Well, hopefully my last. I'm pretty much a robot at this point:

C1/C2: fuse

C3/C4: Total Disc Replacement

C5/C6: TDR

C6/C7: TDR

So my neck is entirely artificial at this point. BUT, I have very little pain and almost complete range of motion... And my left arm seems to be recovering. I have a REALLY good spinal surgeon. But rather than take this thread completely off topic, send me a pm - I'll help with any guidance I can if you have questions.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #4
Denwood

Ryan, liking the drone and time lapse intro bits. It adds a level to the vids :-)
Denwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:30 AM   #5
Brian Moylan

looking forward to the next instalments
Brian Moylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
AP2TUDE

I dig it because you use all the Festool stuff the same way that I do.

Question: Do you think that the cost of the MFT table is really worth it? Or, do you think that you could design a basic workbench / work surface which would work similarly for significantly less?

I ask because I need a worksurface, and I already have a TS55 / CT26 / and a PS420. I like the idea of the MFT folding up when I don't need it, and I dig it's functionality, but it's expensive. I am tempted to just get nice sawhorses and some sacrificial plywood / foam insulation to make a similar work surface.
AP2TUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #7
tatra

Canadian - skookum?
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2TUDE View Post
I dig it because you use all the Festool stuff the same way that I do.

Question: Do you think that the cost of the MFT table is really worth it? Or, do you think that you could design a basic workbench / work surface which would work similarly for significantly less?

I ask because I need a worksurface, and I already have a TS55 / CT26 / and a PS420. I like the idea of the MFT folding up when I don't need it, and I dig it's functionality, but it's expensive. I am tempted to just get nice sawhorses and some sacrificial plywood / foam insulation to make a similar work surface.
If you have the time and the resources to make the top (CNC router or something similar), I'd say save the money and make your own - especially if you don't need it to be portable. But remember, the top is sacrificial so you'd need to be able to make them fairly often. Or buy a Festool replacement top and build yours off of that.

However, I will say the Festool side rails are pretty handy and I think they are SUPER expensive if bought alone.

It's a tough call really. I am now planning to build a base for my MFT top - something that will hold all of the systainers.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
Ryan
Administrator

A little deeper... I'm gonna build something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mft.jpg (143.6 KB, 179 views)
Old 04-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
cashishift

Send a message via AIM to cashishift

Ryan - awesome shop and what looks to be an amazing property!
cashishift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #11
Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Good job on the video Ryan.

Festool actually makes two different 'plug it' cords, one is a little heavier than the other and is used with the track saw and larger power tools while the lighter duty cord is for use with things like their sanders. If you look at the 'plug it' end, you can see that the heavier cord has a 'notch' where the light duty cord has a 'protrusion'. You can use the heavier cord with every tool but you can't with the light duty version. I don't know why they just don't use the heavier cord for everything?

I would say (and remember I am a 'hater' lol) that the MFT Top is one of their best ideas. I would never buy the MFT/Card Table - but as you mentioned it is fairly easy to make your own. A lot of people start with the Paulk Workbench plans and modify them to suit your need - that is what I did

Paulk Workbench plans
http://www.paulkhomes.com/order-plans.html

Now - the fact that you are planning to build a 'base' for your mft... I can't help but think, you could have just bought a decent table saw...

Example - if you really wanted to be 'safe' the SawStop jobsite is $1,200, and comes with a cart. If you wanted to, you could build a similar base for it, make a larger top and add some more tools.

Note - The Festool MFT with the cross member support is almost $900!

Getting back to the MFT Top - there really are some neat accessories for it. One of them is the "precision plate" that allows you to mount an Incra Fence to the top. Cut in a router lift and not only do you have the clamping and positioning capabilities of the MFT Top - but you also have a decent router table. Add a smaller 'jobsite' table saw like the sawstop one I mentioned and you have a pretty decent work area - not much bigger than the one you pictured.

Precision Plate
http://precisiondogs.us/products/precision-plate-v20

Incra Super System Fence
http://www.incra.com/router_table_fe...super_sys.html

Incra Master Lift
http://www.incra.com/router_system_a...r-lift-ii.html

Incra Dust Collection
http://www.incra.com/router_system_a...leansweep.html

Here is my Paulk Style top while I was making it - I will have to see if I have any better pics. I have a Ranger Motorcycle Lift Table and it was sized to fit on the top of it. It also breaks down into two pieces for storage. Last pic isan example (not mine) of what I am talking about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAG-127.jpg (108.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg SNAG-128.jpg (95.0 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg o0fr5gb.jpg (31.2 KB, 126 views)
Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #12
Ryan
Administrator

I have a table saw man.

Absolutely love your Paul K bench and the idea of fitting it over your lift. Brilliant.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:32 PM   #13
LegacyIndustrial
Alliance Member

That clamp table has me intrigued. Looks like the floor is holding up decently.
LegacyIndustrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:17 PM   #14
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyIndustrial View Post
That clamp table has me intrigued. Looks like the floor is holding up decently.
I've found its kryptonite... Dried up wood glue. If you let it dry, when you chip it up later, it takes the coating with it. So, I've been pretty careful about that.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:23 AM   #15
Doug B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
So much for storing everything in a 2'x2' area....

But seriously, that table looks good, and the convenience of not setting up the folding table and digging the other parts out of bins will be huge.

Following this video series, even though I will most likely never own any Festool stuff ( I have a unisaw and a Dewalt track saw ).

Like someone else said, nice casual video. Easy to watch. Thanks
Old 04-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #16
Git

Ryan - I didn't realize you already had a table saw, for some reason I thought you were fairly new to woodworking. Which leaves me with the question - if you already had a table saw why did you spend almost $900 on that MFT/Card Table thingy? (extra table space for the kids around the holidays?)

Next question - I will agree that Festools do a pretty good job at dust collection, certainly better than most. But as you showed in your video, you still have to sweep. Keeping in mind that you spent almost twice as much for the Festools versus similar but more common brand tools do you feel the expenditure was worth it? I mean to me, it really doesn't make much difference if I sweep up a dustpan full of sawdust and wood chips or if I have to sweep up 10 dustpans full, you still have to sweep - and then I blow my garage out with the leaf blower

Don't get me wrong - if you were a contractor and had to schlep all your tools up 20 stories in a freight elevator to work in someone's apartment, I could totally see the need for the Festool system - systainers, MFT, Hepa vac, etc. But in reality, for most of us DIY/Hobbyist, it just doesn't apply
Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #17
Squankum

A cheap and easy way to collect dust that's floating about in the air in your shop:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...6&postcount=19

_

Underground Lair of the Squankum
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s....php?p=1796399
Squankum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:01 AM   #18
tjpavlov

I've only observed Festool from a distance, but I have always wondered what the point of this MFT table really is. It seems to me that the biggest disadvantage of the track saw is that you don't have the ability to make repeat cuts. When building cabinets I am more interested in having everything exactly the same than exactly the right size. For example, if all my casework is 1/16" big, that really doesn't matter to me, so long as it's all the same.

Is the MFT table trying to fix that? It seems to me that if you really set it up right, you could do lots and lots of repeat cuts.
tjpavlov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #19
TNBurban

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpavlov View Post
I've only observed Festool from a distance, but I have always wondered what the point of this MFT table really is. It seems to me that the biggest disadvantage of the track saw is that you don't have the ability to make repeat cuts. When building cabinets I am more interested in having everything exactly the same than exactly the right size. For example, if all my casework is 1/16" big, that really doesn't matter to me, so long as it's all the same.

Is the MFT table trying to fix that? It seems to me that if you really set it up right, you could do lots and lots of repeat cuts.

The MFT with the rail that connects to the table makes repeatable cuts very easy. You can lock down the rail and use bench dogs to push the work piece up against. The repeatability is one of the easiest things about the MFT if you have a rail for the saw that locks onto the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TNBurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:04 PM   #20
neilc

Cross cut repeats are easy with the MFT table. Rip-style consistent width repeat cuts are possible if you use a long rail and either make or purchase a 'rail guide' that attaches to the rail and lets you index a consistent amount from the left edge when cutting on the right edge. The ones I like are from Seneca Woodworking and use Incra T-track that lets you quickly set a width and make repeatable cuts.

I have a piece of 3/4 foam insulation. Drop a piece of sheet goods on it and lay the track on top and cut with the blade going slightly into the foam. Great way for safe, repeatable, accurate cuts.

There are significant safety considerations with a track saw versus table saw, particularly with sheet goods. Further, on the question of dust as Git raised, I have found not only does the shop stay cleaner, but you aren't breathing the dust when you are working. My shop is in my basement and I will sometimes work and them come up to dinner, etc. The integrated vac just about eliminates dust on my clothing or tracking it up the stairs when working on a project before / after dinner, for example.

Nice video Ryan - and you'll enjoy the rolling support under the table. I also made a Paulk bench and an MDF top with 20mm holes perfectly spaced across it at 96mm intervals. Peter Parfitt (amazing Youtube guy) created a UJK Hole drilling system for the MFT like tables that is amazing for accurately spaced holes if you ever decide to do your own top. Axminster UK and Lee Valley both sell his setup.

neil
neilc is offline   Reply With Quote