Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Romanova

Default Costco Arcan 3.5 ton jack

I know there is a thread already covering this jack, but this is meant for anyone on the fence about this jack. I just purchased it and am quite pleased so far.

Box in my garage:

Well packed with no damage:

Stupid stickers

MUCH better

My xB is very low and it didn't have a problem

All the way up!

Again, for $99 it can't be beat. Plus with Costco, you can return it in the event that it ever malfunctions or you are not satisfied. It's quite heavy at just over 100 pounds, but it is very maneuverable and it has a smooth fluid action.

Thanks!
Romanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Kartman

Default Re: Costco Arcan 3.5 ton jack

Received this as a Christmas gift as the the GF was tired of me complaining about how I needed to drive on 2x4 blocks so I can get my old craftsman jack under the car. It is a great low profile jack. Only problem with mine is that it squeals like a stuck pig when I jack it up under load despite having lubricated all the pivots/points. I think it may be coming from the hydraulic cylinder itself.

Last edited by Kartman; 05-15-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Kartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Danglerb

How smooth, controlled, is lowing the jack with a load?
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Mr.Nutcase

Do they carry them in the stores, I checked online, they do not have it.....
What is item number?
Mr.Nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Romanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
Very smooth and controlled when I was testing it on my Scion xB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Nutcase View Post
Do they carry them in the stores, I checked online, they do not have it.....
What is item number?
Stores only. There are three Costcos in Houston, and the two that I frequent both had them. When I got mine today, it was a fresh pallet of them and I snagged the first one. Costco has a small aluminum Torin jack on their website, but I don't care for those small aluminum jacks.

The Costco item number from my receipt is: 300930 @ $97.99
Romanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
psychoclaw84

I have the exact same jack. Purchased it for the low pick up point for a Saturn SL2.

Pros: LOW COST Very strong dual piston lifting mechanism and has a Universal swivel for lowering the jack which is very smooth. High lift height. Saddle on my jack is secured with a bolt and is removeable when needed. Very heavy and stable jack for smaller lighter cars.

Cons: The small "U" shaped legs or arms that run along the bottom of the floor jack that secures the front wheels are very flimsy when jacking up a Full Size truck such as a Chevy 1/2 pickup with a 5.0 liter motor and a F350 7.4 liter Powerstroke. It has enough lift but the jack flexes under that kind of a load.

Solved the problem by using the ARCAN jack for passenger cars and a Craftsman 4 Ton Floor jack for the bigger cars.
psychoclaw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
krehmkej

Buyer's regret, being sick of crapman jacks I dropped $200 on a NAPA Pro 3.5 tonner. THEN I read about these. Anyhow the NAPA is a nice unit - twice as nice? - time will tell.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
evil16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehmkej View Post
Buyer's regret, being sick of crapman jacks I dropped $200 on a NAPA Pro 3.5 tonner. THEN I read about these. Anyhow the NAPA is a nice unit - twice as nice? - time will tell.
I've have had a NAPA floor jack for probably close to 15 years... It's been great. It's low enough to get under a lowered Scirroco and Jack enough to pick up my K2500 Suburban (454, 4wd, 3/4 ton, 14 bolt rear end, heavy , heavy, heavy).. if it the same manufacturer still... I doubt you will have any issue. you get what you pay for... if... your lucky.
evil16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #9
tanda4

Do you know the size of the saddle?
tanda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
Moose-LandTran

Send a message via AIM to Moose-LandTran Send a message via MSN to Moose-LandTran

I have this same jack, it's great. Works really well, very low, lifts very quickly. I find it to be very well made and great all round. Mine was free, given to me by my neighbour. I'll buy another if our local Costo gets more. I'd definitely reccomend it, it's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartman View Post
Only problem with mine is that it squeals like a stuck pig when I jack it up under load despite having lubricated all the pivots/points.
Mine does the same thing. Sprayed it with WD-40. Didn't make any difference. It's a small price to pay for such a good jack.
Moose-LandTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #11
Moose-LandTran

Send a message via AIM to Moose-LandTran Send a message via MSN to Moose-LandTran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
Very smooth, very easy to control the rate it lowers the car too. Not one of those jacks you really have to twist the handle hard to drop the car down, it's very easy and makes dropping a car down slowly and gently very easy.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #12
ImportTuner

I saw them at Costco; I wanted to buy but the wife says NO .. you already have 3 floor jacks at home
ImportTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:45 PM   #13
scottmlew

Is the saddle removable? I was looking at the display model at our local Costco and it didn't appear to be removable. But it was hard to tell with the way it was all strapped down.
scottmlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #14
Moose-LandTran

The saddle is bolted to the platform.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #15
nate379
Banned

I lost my big toe to a jack that was like that back in 2005. You'd have to turn it a few turns then you'd turn it 1/16 of a turn more and BOOM down it goes.

Toe blew apart and the bone ended up in 5 pieces. $6000 surgery later I can walk normal and even run. I can't bend it much at the first joint.

I took the jack into Sears while on crutches and got a 4 ton pro one for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Very smooth, very easy to control the rate it lowers the car too. Not one of those jacks you really have to twist the handle hard to drop the car down, it's very easy and makes dropping a car down slowly and gently very easy.

Last edited by nate379; 05-15-2009 at 11:16 PM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #16
Moose-LandTran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
I lost my big toe to a jack that was like that back in 2005. You'd have to turn it a few turns then you'd turn it 1/16 of a turn more and BOOM down it goes.

Toe blew apart and the bone ended up in 5 pieces. $6000 surgery later I can walk normal and even run. I can't bend it much at the first joint.

I took the jack into Sears while on crutches and got a 4 ton pro one for free.
Damn, dude. That sucks.

the jacks we have at work are like that, enough of the time the grip on the handle just spins. How they get so damn tight i'll never know, sometimes i have to put a pipe wrench on the handle or use a prybar on the "spider" to release the damn things.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #17
-B-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post

Mine does the same thing. Sprayed it with WD-40. Didn't make any difference. It's a small price to pay for such a good jack.

yYou used a solvent as an oil it will never stop squealing until you use a proper lube.
-B- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:54 AM   #18
Kartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by -B- View Post
yYou used a solvent as an oil it will never stop squealing until you use a proper lube.
Well I used PB Blaster white lithium grease with the same result. As Moose said, the jack is quite good (price, durability, low profile) and I can easily overlook this minor flaw.
Kartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #19
Mr.Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportTuner View Post
I saw them at Costco; I wanted to buy but the wife says NO .. you already have 3 floor jacks at home
Buy it, and do not tell her..
Mr.Nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #20
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil16v View Post
I've have had a NAPA floor jack for probably close to 15 years... It's been great. It's low enough to get under a lowered Scirroco and Jack enough to pick up my K2500 Suburban (454, 4wd, 3/4 ton, 14 bolt rear end, heavy , heavy, heavy).. if it the same manufacturer still... I doubt you will have any issue. you get what you pay for... if... your lucky.
Its not the same. Napa jacks thru the years Walker, Lincoln and when Lincoln sold out to Hein Werner (Shinn Fu) I dont believe they ever marketed there jacks. I fairly sure the Napa jacks are made by Sunex now and Most of the Truck companies use the same company.

Last edited by Hiball; 06-10-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote