Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default Artisan\'s Asylum

Just a really neat maker's space...I work in the shop to kind of get away from everything, so I don't know that I could work around a ton of people in a place like this, but I love the idea of it...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Garage Journal, click here.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
Perrorojo

Default Re: Artisan\'s Asylum

If you lived in an urban area where shop space was unattainable for a private citizen or you were too young to have amassed a tool collection, this would be an amazing thing to have available.
Perrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #3
kelpaso1

How are these places funded? Who buys all the equipment, machines? What about all the materials, wood, plastic, metal? Electronic parts, consumables, bits, and everything else in these places? How much does it cost to be a member?

What about insurance? I imagine liability insurance is not cheap.
kelpaso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
CoogarXR

When I first heard about these "Makers Spaces" I thought the idea seemed kinda corny and hipsterish. I just couldn't envision it. But now that I see one, I wish I had access to one! I would love to get a membership just to learn how to use some of the bigger machines, learn to weld, etc.

Great video, and a great place. I still prefer having my own shop, but it would be nice to have a place like this nearby to have access to expensive machinery that I couldn't afford to own, heh.
CoogarXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
Perrorojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpaso1 View Post
How are these places funded? Who buys all the equipment, machines? What about all the materials, wood, plastic, metal? Electronic parts, consumables, bits, and everything else in these places? How much does it cost to be a member?

Sounds like there is a monthly fee to be a member. $75-175 based on levels of access. I thought he said they had 450 members so that should cover insurance and rent. It's also a 501c non-profit. https://artisansasylum.com/
Perrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #6
American Locomotive

Quote:

Membership is $75-175 month. Storage space and studio space is also rented out inside.
American Locomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
R. Deschain

I would pay $175 a month to access that kind of equipment.
R. Deschain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
Kaizen

hmmm can't see a video if its there....
up here there was one but 250 to start and besides a cnc nothing better then I have now....which is sad.
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
Stuart in MN

There's a discussion thread here on the board about makerspaces: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=337388
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #10
Bob Hall

I'm just glad that they are out there, both the maker spaces and the makers. Americans are supposed to be makers. Just like here on GJ, it's heartening to see we still are!

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=283635
Bob Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:37 AM   #11
-Brent-

Thanks for sharing that, Ryan. I enjoyed it. I know we have a place or two locally, I think I m going to look into them.
My shop remodel where I clean up my act and attempt to create a functional space out of a 70+ year-old, 2-bay concrete block garage with a mix of reclaimed/repurposed items as well a bunch of other budget-busting materials and features. "Finished" pics on page 38 and 39.
-Brent- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:51 AM   #12
ArmyVW_GuyInTX
Alliance Member

Quote:

I've been a member of the Dallas Makerspace for about two years.
https://dallasmakerspace.org/

We are solely membership funded $50 per month($35 for retired or students)
Equipment and machines are bought or donated for example I donated my old fully functional Rotary above ground lift to the automotive committee.

"The "Space" is open 24/7 to members and has about 17,000 square feet of climate controlled work areas. There aren't many places I can go to use a lift to do a clutch or oil change or brakes in a comfortable 76 degrees during a Texas summer.

Thursdays at 7pm the public is welcome for tours - a tour takes about an hour.

Members provide their own materials - and some consumables. blades, router bits, drills, mill tooling, sandpaper, etc is provided within reason.

Automotive is just one feature of the Dallas Makerspace, others include(but not limited to):

Machine shop (with a CNC mill), Welding shop, Sheet metal shop (with CNC plasma cutter), wood shop (with CNC wood router), 3 laser cutters, 2 wide format printers, 1 24" vinyl cutter, 3 classrooms(one with theatre sound, projector, screen etc, a galley, 3D print room(6) 3D printers, electronics lab, science/biology lab, RC car/planes, Creative arts (two many activities to list), jewelry/small metals. ceramics/fired arts, digital video/recording, a "common" area with tables and seating for dozens to use your own laptop or one of many that were donated to use.

The Space has evolved & continues to do so, i.e. in the 2 years I've been a member they had a worthless 80 gallon Husky air compressor but now have a 250 gallon dual pump Quincy(wouldn't have been my choice) with a refrigerated dryer. The wood shop had one Horror Freight wood lathe but now has a nice Powermatic and 4 other wood lathes. When I joined, automotive had floor jacks and jack stands, now they have a lift, and several floor jacks and stands, a 50 ton air/hydraulic press, heated enclosed parts washer, and a 20ton air jack for my nephew's Unimog(needed a steel brake line fabricated on the left rear) and more.

Tesla donated a charging station and we have another charging station for those other coal fueled all electric cars - just pull up and plug in.

The "Space" has a lot to offer - but like most places - it isn't perfect for "everyone"

We are insured, not cheap no, but neither is air conditioning a 17,000 square foot work shop.

All the areas are broken down into "committees" and the committees are allotted a monthly allowance/stipend to buy or replenish tools, consumables etc. These committees post "how to" classes on the calendar. Most classes are free or close to it but the "Space" pays the committee $50 for every class it does - this works well for those members that want a specific tool, or piece of equipment funded.

That's the short version - I'll post a few photos from work tomorrow(later today).

P.S. many have asked why I donated my old lift.......I used to lease a small commercial space in an overcrowded not so great industrial park(for personal use) when I had an 8-5 gig, but things changed and I moved out, then I took a tour of the Makerspace........now I can use my old lift in air conditioned comfort(Texas summers are HOT and last way too long), on a smooth clean floor, that is well lit whenever I need it.

Last edited by ArmyVW_GuyInTX; 06-13-2017 at 03:20 AM.
ArmyVW_GuyInTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:42 AM   #13
ArmyVW_GuyInTX
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Just a really neat maker's space...I work in the shop to kind of get away from everything, so I don't know that I could work around a ton of people in a place like this, but I love the idea of it...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Garage Journal, click here.
There are supposedly around 1500 paying members at the Dallas makerspace - but I've never seen more than the same 30-40 folks there on the Thursday evenings I use it.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #14
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrorojo View Post
If you lived in an urban area where shop space was unattainable for a private citizen or you were too young to have amassed a tool collection, this would be an amazing thing to have available.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #15
rburke65

Donating your tools is a great idea such as ArmyVW Guy has done. That was a "win win". Still nice of you Army VW!
rburke65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #16
Strouty

Cruft and logjam, that is me in a nutshell.

A link to my mess: The Salvage Garage
Strouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #17
gipraw

A good friend of ours is involved in the DaVinci Maker Lab in Alvin. I hope to see one in NW Houston before too long.

Doug

have buffer, Will travel.
gipraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #18
ArmyVW_GuyInTX
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke65 View Post
Donating your tools is a great idea such as ArmyVW Guy has done. That was a "win win". Still nice of you Army VW!
Rburke65 - it is a win win - the few gearheads at the makerspace love it and I have access to it along with the other tools.

Plus......it is almost impossible to sell a lift that has been taken down. So it was either scrap it or give it away.

I don't have room nor the ceiling height needed for a twin post lift. I do have a snap on/wheeltronics mid rise lift in my home garage-perfect for rear engine vehicles.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #19
ssdave

It's been a dream of mine for some time to do a final development project of this sort. My concept has been a somewhat upscale retirement complex.

Have 1 to 3 bedroom condo units, luxury level. Keep the cost and required maintenance down for the owners by minimizing the "low use" spaces. Instead of massive great room and workshop, have small, intimate living room, combined dining room/kitchen, and well thought out closets/storage throughout. At least one attached garage bay so you don't have to go outside in bad weather to get to the car.

Have separate building or area of the main buildings that is storage. A bit better than your typical self-store, have at least weather/airtight and maybe even conditioned space.

Have additional garage and/or outside storage space for extra vehicles, boats, RV's, etc.

Then, the concept part: Have shared spaces, again high quality, for the less used parts of a house. Have a community kitchen with a large party area for family gatherings, etc. Have several smaller rooms for smaller events, including clubhouse type space to get together, drink coffee, play cards, watch tv, or whatever. Have a craft and sewing area, jewelry, pottery, painting, etc. Have a furnished workshop with woodworking tools. Have a metalwork area with welding, drill press, etc. Probably avoid automotive repair, the market I'm aiming for isn't quite that. Might have one community garage bay to do oil change and minor maintenence. Fitness center would be another option. Start adding tennis courts, swimming pool, etc and you get expensive quick so will stay away from the country club aspect. A community garden area might be a good option.

Have about 24 to 32 units in the complex, with about 4 per building group. If you keep the groups small, people get along better and form communities better. It would be a condo arrangement, with the owners having an equal and full share. Just get the size adequate to keep the monthly cost of the shared spaces reasonable.

The target market would be retirement age folks, that want less maintenance but full access to facilities that they are interested in and active in. Have the ability to have family over for events, but not have to own and maintain the space in your own home. Have a shop and tools, but not have to own and maintain and clean the space, and your spouse doesn't have to dispose of the tools when you die; just sell the condo share. Be able to garden, but have other people to rely on to water it etc. when you leave for a week or two.

If makers spaces take off and spread everywhere, it may cut into my target market.
ssdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #20
LegacyIndustrial
Alliance Member

Think it's great. I learned to weld and braze 8th grade in industrial arts class. Electronics, automotive, technical drawing, graphic arts and wood working all throughout high school. How the heck do these kids learn ANYTHING today? Need more places like this.
LegacyIndustrial is offline   Reply With Quote