Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
StumpXJ

Default Stump's New 2 Car Detached Garage Project.

This is my first post on here, but I have been lurking, and drooling for a couple months. This site is absolutely the best when it comes to getting ideas.

A little background:

My wife and I have been living in Germany for the past 3.5 years with the US military (as civilian government employee). We are getting ready to move back to the States (June 6th), and have purchased a new home in Atlanta (Decatur) Georgia. We were recently in the states for about 3 weeks while searching for a home to buy, and we managed to find something we were both happy with.

I have a 25x23 2 car garage that I will be using basically as a large one car workshop. I would love to have more space, but living in the city its rediculously expensive to have enough property in order to have a larger building, so I comprimised a little. Because I have a fair amount of equipment that will be going in this garage, this website has been very helpful in determining a good layout that will maximize usable space.

Unfortunately, the garage is beautifully finished inside and out to match the house. I say unfortunately because we have a contractor coming out as soon as we move in to rip the roof off, raise the large door header height, install a 100 amp dedicated service, and reinforce a section of the floor to accept a 2 post lift.

There are tons of pitch on the roof (17 feet to the peak) to allow a big 2 post lift, but we will have to remove the normal atic style truss's to allow a vaulted/open ceiling. The rool up door height is only 7'2", and my Jeep will not fit in it, so I am going to go with at least an 8 foot door, or preferably a 9 foot high door.

The garage is currently wired with two overhead lights, garage door opener, and four duplex outlets. It is supplied by only one 20 amp breaker from the main in the house, so that is definitely not going to work. I am adding a dedicated 100 service to the garage to allow my equipment to be run (lift, small mill, small lathe, welders, compressor etc)

The garage floor is a 4inch slab, but only 2000psi, so I will cut out a section and re-enforce it with 4000psi, 6 inch thick with re-bar for the lift mounting area.

I have been trying to determine a good layout for my stuff, but have yet to get it all finished. Open to any suggestion if anyone has any. The good thing is its a clean slate, and a pretty standard layout.

Here are the pics!

More to come....

Last edited by StumpXJ; 05-25-2009 at 03:09 AM.
StumpXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
StumpXJ

Default Re: Stump's New 2 Car Garage Project.

A look into the attic space. I am going to be giving up tons of storage room by going to an open vaulted ceiling.... but?

This is the color scheme I was *thinking* of going with, but not sure about the black lower. It may be too dark for my liking. I havent seenany other black lowers on garages, so I am not sure. I want to do the tan upper, since that is how the walls will already be painted, and I would like to keep it uniform.

Just playing with some layout options in MS Paint

Back wall, not exactly to scale, but close.

This is what I will be working on mostly: (you can see why I need the extra height. The top of the roof rack/lights is 7' 6")

Let me know what you think about the plan thus far. The contractors *should be starting work the first or second week of June, so I have a little time to make changes.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
Red'n'WhiteRebel

Default Re: Stump's New 2 Car Detached Garage Project.

Welcome aboard Stump. One thing that comes to mind for your place is a jackshaft garage door opener. Keeps the space over your lift open.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
StumpXJ

Please explain? I have been trying to figure out what to do about the door, as I dont want to have to leave the door closed while using the lift. I looked into the rool up style overhead door, but the wife put her foot down as it wont match the outside like it does now. I agree with her, not to mention this is a brand new door, and it matches, and its insulated quite well. I may have to add a panel for the extra height, but thats ok.

I assume this "jackshaft" style garage door opener just pulls the door straight up? got any links?

~Stump
Old 05-24-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Red'n'WhiteRebel

Mine are Liftmaster 3800. Your tracks will obviously be routed differently to have the door run as high as poss. A good door co. will be able to set you up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01304.jpg (134.6 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01375.jpg (139.1 KB, 291 views)
Old 05-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
StumpXJ

After utilizing the search feature (imagine that) I see what you mean. It appears it certainly should work on my setup. I guess ideally I would like to get the door itself out of the way of the lift, not just the current opener. I dont see any way of doing that other than a roll up style door. Kind of wish the roof line was 90 degrees from where it is now, that way the garage door could follow the pitch line up instead of turning 90 degrees or parallel to the floor.

Thanks!

Last edited by StumpXJ; 05-24-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
StumpXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red'n'WhiteRebel View Post
Mine are Liftmaster 3800. Your tracks will obviously be routed differently to have the door run as high as poss. A good door co. will be able to set you up.
Yeah, I will definitely run the tracks up as high as possible. That should keep the amount of lift obstruction to a minimum.

My door is 16 X 8 (maybe more height if I have to add a panel), and it has insulation, AND wood on the outside for trim to match the house. Basically... its heavy! If I raise the tracks as high as possible once the ceiling is open (maybe as much as 5 feet), do you think the 3800 would handle the extra vertical pull and weigth of the door? Do they seem to struggle at all with you more conventional set-up doors?

~James
Old 05-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
uniongoon

Nice off roader, very nice! My suggestion, after unbolting the crash bars, taking off the wheels and placing them around the garage, you will be saying, Wha Happened to all my space? Working on a gargantuan machine, you need a gargantuan garage. C'mon, your wife looks understanding.
uniongoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
uniongoon

All kidding aside, you can save space by mounting your compressor up high, allowing for storage space underneath. I also like mine with the bottom around eye level so I can open the drain without crawling on the floor.
uniongoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
StumpXJ

Yeah, I hear ya... The space will go away fast, but I have to work with what I have. My wife already compromised quite a bit on what/where she wanted in the house just to accomodate my need for a garage (hard to find a house with a detached garage in the city limits, for under half a million anyway). If moma aint happy... well you know the rest. I dont want to push it... LOL.

She's letting me add a split unit AC system as well, so I cant complain too much. The space will force me to be organized and clean, which is a good thing.

I like the idea of getting the compressor up high, that would allow some nice space for something underneath. I am also used to having a separate spot for storing lawn work equipment as well, and with this set-up it wont happen. I would add a small storage shed or something, but there literally is no room. The lot is small, and is being taken up by the house and garage. I think I may close in the space under rear house deck and put the mower and stuff under it. I DONT want it in my garage, thats all I know!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
bluesman2a

Hey Stump... Nice Xj you got there, and welcome to the area from one Jeeper to another. You guys are a little further in-town than we are, but my wife used to teach in Decatur.

A couple of thoughts here:

1) If you haven't already, check out www.southernjeeps.org pretty good local club, lots of XJ people (including a couple of good friends). PM me if you want more info on the local scene.

2) Not sure if you've wheeled much here in the South, but that roof rack will become a PITA in short order, lots of low hangin stuff. Not like a lot of the old-growth forrests in Europe.

3) On the garage door, if you go with a jackshaft opener, you can re-hang the tracks on the door to follow the contout of the roof, so it's only a couple inches off the roof. Gives you more room for the lift.

4) If you're lookin' for garage people in the area... Go North a bit... We speak XJ.

Among other things:
bluesman2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
StumpXJ

Bluesman, yeah I was drooling over your build thread as well....very nice man! I havent checked out that site yet, but will. I have been on GAtrailriders.com lately, and of course Naxja.org. Thanks for the info, and the welcome, I will definitely look into it.

I would love to be able to follow the roof line up with the door, but the roof line is going the wrong way for me to do that... I think it will still be ok though, once I raise my tracks as high as the front wall/ceiling will let me.

I mainly use my XJ (in Europe anyway) for exploration travel, camping, and some light wheeling. That may change once I get back for good in the South (I am orginally from SC), just not sure what direction I want to go. I have another XJ in Atlanta already, just like the teal one, only stock. I may make more of trail dedicated rig out of it, but not sure yet. The Teal Bitch is on a boat and is east coast bound. It should be there when we arrive on the 6th.

I have a specific question for you concerning your lift. Seeing my XJ, with the roof rack and roof top tent on 6.5 LA lift, do you think I will have issues regarding getting the vehicle high enough to work underneath it without hitting the crossbar? I am about 6'1" tall, and am a little concerned about my roof height with the cross bar. I was considering going with a floor mounted crossbar, but have reservations about the obstruction on the floor and not having the added strength at the top of the pillars.

What lift do you have? What are the specs on it? Did you go to the Greg Smith place in the area?

Thanks again, hope to see you out and about!
Old 05-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
autoist

Why not leave the garage as is & just punch out the rear wall and add onto it? Them momma can have a place for her car without bothering your projects...

http://www.theAutoist.com
autoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #14
bluesman2a

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoist View Post
Why not leave the garage as is & just punch out the rear wall and add onto it? Them momma can have a place for her car without bothering your projects...
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like you could put in another bay between the house and garage. This would make it an ATTACHED garage, which has some benefits (read easier zoning). If you turn the gable 90*, you could get more room for the lift. Look at how we did the addition on my original bay, it may give you some ideas. AND you could keep the finish on the inside of the existing garage. You will also probably wind up SAVING money by not having to tear up your existing concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpXJ View Post
I have a specific question for you concerning your lift. Seeing my XJ, with the roof rack and roof top tent on 6.5 LA lift, do you think I will have issues regarding getting the vehicle high enough to work underneath it without hitting the crossbar? I am about 6'1" tall, and am a little concerned about my roof height with the cross bar. I was considering going with a floor mounted crossbar, but have reservations about the obstruction on the floor and not having the added strength at the top of the pillars.

What lift do you have? What are the specs on it? Did you go to the Greg Smith place in the area?
I've got a Rotary SPOA-10. The specs are on the company website.
None of the vehicles I've had on there yet have had any issues gettng the vehicle to full height on the lift stops, this includes XJ's with racks. I'm pretty short, but there are several friends who work in my shop that are 6+, they have no issues.. If you want, you are welcome to swing up before you do your own lift and throw your XJ up to take a look on the list.

As for floor-plates, I would *NOT* buy a lift with a floor-plate, they are a HUGE pain as you move things around under the vehicle.

I actually HAVE been to Greg Smith, love the place. Remember when you go, that ALL prices are highly negotiable, work them. Had I seen their lift before buying the Rotary, I would have "settled" on one of them, but I'm happy with the Rotary.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #15
wrigh003

Send a message via MSN to wrigh003

I'd lose that window facing away from my house, or reframe it into a smaller one that is higher off the ground. That will open up another 3 feet or so where you can park a workbench/toolbox/service cart AND keep it so you can see what's going on with entrances to teh garage from your deck. Might keep the new neighbor a little happier, too, if you're going to be doing a lot of grinding/lathing/milling in there...

Cool looking place- pretty new?
wrigh003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:01 AM   #16
StumpXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoist View Post
There isnt any room on the property for expansion. The rear of the garage is about 3-4 feet from the property line. Where the retaining wall is, is the end of it.

My wife has understood over the past 8 years or so that she will never be allowed to simply "park" in my garages/workshop. Unless when we get to retirement age, and we have the huge property with an attached, and detached, then it will happen. She is ok with that at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman2a View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like you could put in another bay between the house and garage. This would make it an ATTACHED garage, which has some benefits (read easier zoning). If you turn the gable 90*, you could get more room for the lift. Look at how we did the addition on my original bay, it may give you some ideas. AND you could keep the finish on the inside of the existing garage. You will also probably wind up SAVING money by not having to tear up your existing concrete.

I've got a Rotary SPOA-10. The specs are on the company website.
None of the vehicles I've had on there yet have had any issues gettng the vehicle to full height on the lift stops, this includes XJ's with racks. I'm pretty short, but there are several friends who work in my shop that are 6+, they have no issues.. If you want, you are welcome to swing up before you do your own lift and throw your XJ up to take a look on the list.

As for floor-plates, I would *NOT* buy a lift with a floor-plate, they are a HUGE pain as you move things around under the vehicle.

I actually HAVE been to Greg Smith, love the place. Remember when you go, that ALL prices are highly negotiable, work them. Had I seen their lift before buying the Rotary, I would have "settled" on one of them, but I'm happy with the Rotary.
You are right about being able to add on to the right side of the Garage, but thats about the only room for expansion. That would probably fly like a lead balloon though, as we both really like having a deck off the rear of the house. Also, we looked high and low for a house with an actual detached garage as apposed to attached. I really dont want it attached to the home, so that probably will not happen either.

If I could throw my junk on your lift, that would make my decision MUCH eaiser. I REALLY would appreiciate if you can let me do that, at your convienence of course. I can shoot you a PM in a few weeks. Thanks!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigh003 View Post
I'd lose that window facing away from my house, or reframe it into a smaller one that is higher off the ground. That will open up another 3 feet or so where you can park a workbench/toolbox/service cart AND keep it so you can see what's going on with entrances to teh garage from your deck. Might keep the new neighbor a little happier, too, if you're going to be doing a lot of grinding/lathing/milling in there...

Cool looking place- pretty new?
Not a bad idea about the window, but a fair amount of work, just to gain a litle space (with the inside/outside being totally finished). No one lives in the house behind ours yet, so I will be sure to be outside grinding and welding when potential buyers come out to look at it.....just so they know what they are getting into...LOL.

The place is brand new, we will be the first to live in it. It was finished in February of 2009.

Here are a few shots of the actual house:

This gives you and idea of the room we have (or dont have) the rear of the garage has a small retaining wall, and thats pretty much the end of the property.

Thanks for the ideas, keep em coming.

Last edited by StumpXJ; 05-25-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:15 AM   #17
Kevin54

Quote:
The place is brand new, we will be the first to live in it. It was finished in February of 2009.
Is that a "virgin" brand new house or a complete redo on an older house? Either way...I think it looks fantastic Any interior shots of the house? Any particulars? Full basement? Square footage?
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:38 AM   #18
StumpXJ

Nope, its a virgin new construction/new home. Its a Craftsman style, so it looks older like the other homes in the area.

Here is a gallery with plenty of interior stuff.

http://gallery.me.com/meghanramsey

Its 2000 sqft, 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bath. No basement, corner lot on a dead end street with a park at the end of it.

Thanks for the compliment! ~ James
Old 05-25-2009, 06:52 AM   #19
Red'n'WhiteRebel

Quote:
Yeah, I will definitely run the tracks up as high as possible. That should keep the amount of lift obstruction to a minimum.

My door is 16 X 8 (maybe more height if I have to add a panel), and it has insulation, AND wood on the outside for trim to match the house. Basically... its heavy! If I raise the tracks as high as possible once the ceiling is open (maybe as much as 5 feet), do you think the 3800 would handle the extra vertical pull and weigth of the door? Do they seem to struggle at all with you more conventional set-up doors?

~James
My doors are 9' wide by 8' hi, insulated. The 3800 has no trouble lifting them and operates quietly. You are dealing with more weight for sure so I think I'd call a pro and get his opinion.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:34 AM   #20
bluesman2a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red'n'WhiteRebel View Post
My doors are 9' wide by 8' hi, insulated. The 3800 has no trouble lifting them and operates quietly. You are dealing with more weight for sure so I think I'd call a pro and get his opinion.
Remember, the garage door opener does NOT open the weight of the door. If a door is properly balanced, the weight of the door itself shouldn't be an issue. Worst case scenario, when you add another panel, you have to change springs to counterweight the door properly.

Quote:
Also, we looked high and low for a house with an actual detached garage as apposed to attached. I really dont want it attached to the home, so that probably will not happen either.

Not a bad idea about the window, but a fair amount of work, just to gain a litle space (with the inside/outside being totally finished). No one lives in the house behind ours yet, so I will be sure to be outside grinding and welding when potential buyers come out to look at it.....just so they know what they are getting into...LOL.
TELL ME ABOUT THAT ONE!!! The wife and I looked for almost a year to find our place, and we're not even as far in-town as you guys are.

On the window, I think all the other stuff is a nice added bonus, but the REAL reason you would want to do it is for security. A near ground level window, hidden from view of the house is the PERFECT entry for a thief. Personally I'd just frame the whole thing in. I'm not a fan of people seeing inside my garage.