Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
babzog

Default New (To Me) Floor Jack (is a bit slow to lift)

Picked up this floor jack at an auction yesterday. Wilmar brand (China, I know), 2 1/4 ton, 495 mm (19 1/2") lift height. It's heavy as hell and came with a rubber saddlemount lifting pad and I was bid up to $70 CAD (plus taxes - total came to $79 or $70 USD). Not a steal by any stretch of the imagination - prices at the auction were high - but still cheaper than new. Frankly, it was this or buy a new Michelin 3ton jack from CT Boutique at twice the price (whenever it comes on sale).

It beats my wimpy little Mastercraft that take me about 2-3 lifts and a few blocks of wood to get my car jacked up enough just for an oil change! No more of that screwing around! I did notice though, that it's a bit slow to get fully pumped to the max 19" lift - the initial part of the lift goes quick, but the top 8" or so takes probably twice the number of pumps. I'm thinking it's probably something simple like low oil or perhaps a worn gasket or something... any ideas before I start taking wild stabs in the dark? I've never attempted to work on a jack (this being my first "real" one) but they don't strike me as being terribly complicated.

Thanks for your thoughts!

IMG_4530.jpg IMG_4548.jpg
babzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
Hiball

Default Re: New (To Me) Floor Jack (is a bit slow to lift)

Low on oil. Dont overfill it, When you pull the fill plug you should fill it so the oil rests just above the inside cylinder. If that fails to fix the problem it could possibly be the orings on the pump are worn and its bypassing on heavy load. Any excess oil showing up on pump shaft?

Last edited by Hiball; 06-07-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
billymade

This info might be helpful:
http://www.hyjacks.com/H7.HTM

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymade View Post
This info might be helpful:
http://www.hyjacks.com/H7.HTM
20 years experience rebuilding Hydraulic jacks here, Dont get crazy and mess with any of the valves using that page, it is a nice reference but lacks details. If you are getting full lift on early pumps and then it peters out its 1 of the early forementioned things. More than likely low on oil, but then you have to ask yourself why is it low on oil... Did it leak out? Thats another problem. 2ndly that Unit has been used for many years in many different jacks brands and they have 2 main problem areas. The oring on the Pump is the main culprit, To repair/check it Remove the handle assembly 2 bolts on each side. Unhook any springs that are attached, Pull the pump straight out, Inside there will be a slot and inside that slots there should be 1 oring and 1 backup. The backup should be above the oring, curved side down. ONLY go to this step if the oil is LOW. IF you need any assistance just ask i dont mind helping people fix there problems with Hydraulics.

Last edited by Hiball; 06-07-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
babzog

I picked up a bottle of "Hydraulic Jack Oil (ISO AW32)" at CT Boutique yesterday. The jack label says to use "SAE 10W hydraulic jack oil. The man in Automotive indicated that 10W oils are simply automotive oils and this oil - which was with the jacks and not the car / lawnmower oils - was specifically for jacks.

I wanted to ask if this oil would be suitable for use in the jack, meeting the manufacturer's requirements? Or, do I grab some 10W-30 and put that in instead?

As well, for filling... I lowered the handle and wiped off some of the grime on the jack base itself (not the metal frame or lifting apparatus). I saw a little "button" or "mushroom" shaped thingy there.. is that what I want to pry out in order to fill it?

I noticed some oil around that button when I wiped it off.. could just be residue, but there was no oil on the cylinder itself, which makes me wonder if the oil could have leaked out from the fill port?

This weekend, I'm going to soak it down with engine cleaner and re-grease/re-oil everything.

button.jpg

Last edited by babzog; 06-11-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Elroy
Banned

ISO32 would be the same viscosity as SAE10 and would be an ideal fluid for a hydraulic system. Hydraulic fluids contain anti rust and anti foaming additives that would be missing from "motor" oil. You made the right choice.
Elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by babzog View Post
I picked up a bottle of "Hydraulic Jack Oil (ISO AW32)" at CT Boutique yesterday. The jack label says to use "SAE 10W hydraulic jack oil. The man in Automotive indicated that 10W oils are simply automotive oils and this oil - which was with the jacks and not the car / lawnmower oils - was specifically for jacks.

I wanted to ask if this oil would be suitable for use in the jack, meeting the manufacturer's requirements? Or, do I grab some 10W-30 and put that in instead?

As well, for filling... I lowered the handle and wiped off some of the grime on the jack base itself (not the metal frame or lifting apparatus). I saw a little "button" or "mushroom" shaped thingy there.. is that what I want to pry out in order to fill it?

I noticed some oil around that button when I wiped it off.. could just be residue, but there was no oil on the cylinder itself, which makes me wonder if the oil could have leaked out from the fill port?
First off dont use 10w-30 Motor oil, Use Hydraulic Jack Oil and/or Transmision fluid will work in a pinch. The fill plug is located on the resevoir and by your desription you are in the right place. Grab a pair of plier, squeeze the plug and pull it out. Look in the hole (flashlight) you will see a interior cylinder, You will want to put enough oil in to cover the top of that, Dont overfill and make sure your jack is all the way down when you do fill. To reinstall the plug compress and or tap with a hammer and it will seat.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
babzog

Great! Thanks for the confirmation on the fluid! Makes me feel better!

Regarding overfilling - what do you define as overfilling? ie: How would I know if I overfilled it?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
Hiball

Quote:
Great! Thanks for the confirmation on the fluid! Makes me feel better!

Regarding overfilling - what do you define as overfilling?
Make sure jack is down, Add enough oil to where the oil level rests above the inner cylinder when looking in the hole. If you overfill it Oil will slush out the fill hole when you let the jack down etc...
Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
babzog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiball View Post
Make sure jack is down, Add enough oil to where the oil level rests above the inner cylinder when looking in the hole.
Okay. If I have this straight: In the full down position, fill with oil until the inner cylinder is just covered and no more. Correct?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
Hiball

Quote:
Okay. If I have this straight: In the full down position, fill with oil until the inner cylinder is just covered and no more. Correct?
Ok.. Just so your clear. The actual round thing that you will take the fill plug out of is called the "Resevoir" You dont want to fill it completely with oil account you need some room for Air, etc. But inside that Resevoir is the Ram cylinder which is what im referencing you too look at. It will not harm the jack if you overfill, but you will make a mess on your floor the first time you use it. If you cant see inside the hole and tell how much oil you need just add a little, try the jack and see if you get full height when pumping.. If not add a bit more.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
babzog

Thank you for the lesson and your patience. Nice to put a name to a part! LOL

Once I've cleaned the crud off 'er, I'll be checking this.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
babzog

After changing the oil in the car tonight, the jack came in very handy as I'd overfilled and needed to drain some out. With my old jack setup, I'd be cussing a storm getting the car slowly worked up. This thing though, just lifted the car right up in one shot. Nice!

After getting that done, I decided that it had earned a bath and fluid topoff. So, I hit it with the engine cleaner, hosed it off well and dried it with the compressed air. I still need to oil everything but I did pop the plug and add some jack oil to the reservoir. Works like a charm now - right up to the top even with short strokes.

I think I've identified two places where oil appears to want to leak. One is around the fill plug itself, the other is the seal on the piston that enters the housing on the end of the reservoir (if you're looking at the back of the jack, it would be on the left-hand side). The seal appears to move slightly up/down and that piston seems to become slick quite quickly.