Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
supraman1990

Send a message via AIM to supraman1990
Default Best Fluke meter for automotive usage

Currently I have a less than spectacular Blue Point DMM. It does the job, just I'd like to get something that does the job a little better. I am currently looking at acquiring a Fluke meter for my usage. I'd like a meter that will do all the standard auto functions, including diode testing. Temperature isn't necessary, but would be nice if possible. I would also like one that settles on a reading pretty quickly, as that is my biggest issue with my current meter is it takes far too long to settle on a reading. So, what would you guys suggest?
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Dust

Send a message via AIM to Dust
Default Re: Best Fluke meter for automotive usage

I have a Fluke 87 III, and it fulfills all my needs quite well. Voltage testing, diode, resistance, 10A tests (No higher), and a few others.

For anything really in depth I'd get a scope. I just do basic electrical, so I don't need one, but for driveability I'd definitely get a scope.
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
Merkava_4
Banned

Hold on a second ... it's coming to me ... seems like I've seen it somewhere recently ... oh yeah!! It's the Model 88
Merkava_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

You can't go wrong with the 87 or 88 series. However, ESI also makes some excellent meters for automotive use that don't cost nearly as much. A Vantage Pro is probably worth thinking about too down the road after mastering the DVOM.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
volvo420coupe

I've had my 88 for quite sometime, I do like it very much, but I don't come close to maxing out its capabilities, a scope would be awesome, but I cant justify purchasing one with the majority of the work I do. (and my basically broke ass)
volvo420coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
Moose-LandTran

Send a message via AIM to Moose-LandTran Send a message via MSN to Moose-LandTran

What's the opinion on the new Snap-on meters? They're pricey as hell, are they worth the money? Been thinking about getting a meter for a while, just don't want to have to do th buying twice.
Moose-LandTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:46 AM   #7
Merkava_4
Banned

Who makes the meters for Snap-on anyway?
Merkava_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:58 AM   #8
Moose-LandTran

Send a message via AIM to Moose-LandTran Send a message via MSN to Moose-LandTran

Don't know, they were branded Blue-Point until about a year ago when they updated them.
Moose-LandTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:58 AM   #9
nate379
Banned

I have an 87 and it works ok, but I like my $30 CMan one better. I got 3 brand new 87s for free, kept one and gave the other 2 away.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:02 AM   #10
nissan_crawler

I love my fluke 88, works great. Even with rare use, it's paid for itself many times over diagnosing sensors/injectors and such.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:14 AM   #11
scottmlew

What features does the 87/88 have that other mid-range Fluke's (e.g., 179) don't, other than the short-burst min/max and compatibility with the inductive pickup sensor?
scottmlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #12
Paumanok

I just recieved my Fluke 88 V/A Automotive combo kit last week. Got it on sale from tooltopia for $365. I am very happy with it, and I think the combo kit includes a lot of good accessories. Its made in USA, has a lifetime warranty and everything about it is high quality. Bonus, I recieved within 2 days from tooltopia

Combo Kit Includes: 88V multimeter, TL224 silicone test leads, AC285 long reach alligator clips, TP220 test probes, RPM 80 inductive RPM pick-up, magnet and strap, 80BK-A temperature probe, two automotive back probe pins, insulation piercing probe, C800 durable carrying case, holster, 9V battery (installed), Getting Started Manual, and CD with detailed manual
Paumanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #13
showags

88-V for me! The differences between it and the lower priced models are functions and accuracy. The 88-V has a RPM function on it for example. However, the 88V is not a true RMS meter for AC, which is a draw back for some. I have a clamp meter that I run when troubleshooting AC motors ,etc.

"Criminals prefer unarmed victims!"

"Change of plans General Eisenhower...instead of an invasion of Normandy, we're going to smoke pot and play bongos on the shore of the English Channel and hope that the Germans see this and stop killing Jews"
showags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
supraman1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paumanok View Post
I just recieved my Fluke 88 V/A Automotive combo kit last week. Got it on sale from tooltopia for $365. I am very happy with it, and I think the combo kit includes a lot of good accessories. Its made in USA, has a lifetime warranty and everything about it is high quality. Bonus, I recieved within 2 days from tooltopia

Combo Kit Includes: 88V multimeter, TL224 silicone test leads, AC285 long reach alligator clips, TP220 test probes, RPM 80 inductive RPM pick-up, magnet and strap, 80BK-A temperature probe, two automotive back probe pins, insulation piercing probe, C800 durable carrying case, holster, 9V battery (installed), Getting Started Manual, and CD with detailed manual
Is it still on sale for that price? If so I'll make one my property in the next day or so, thats a hell of a deal. How far off on AC have you experienced it being? Their isn't really too much AC in a car aside from a few sensors and alternator tests, but I'd still like it to be close if possible.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #15
nate379
Banned

Deal? That seams like ALOT to me when a $30 unit works just fine for 99% of automotive work.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #16
supraman1990

May be, but I want it to work for 100%. Plus the lifetime warranty, and the overall better quality of the meter. Still waiting to find out how bad the AC is on the 88 before I pull the trigger guys.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #17
nate379
Banned

I guess the work I do, I just couldn't justify the cost. I have an 87 and I have used it just a couple times since I got it about 2 years ago. I perfer my CMan unit. It's lighter, smaller and works just as well for most stuff.

Last time I used my Fluke I needed to check the trouble codes on an OBD1 Taurus and is has sort of an analog readout which worked for that.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #18
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
Deal? That seams like ALOT to me when a $30 unit works just fine for 99% of automotive work.
Some people got that kit for $30... lucky lucky lucky day.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #19
scottmlew

If you're concerned about the AC, you may want to consider a Fluke 179 with the TLK282 automotive accessory kit added. That would give you more attachments than the 88 kit, with the notable exclusion of the RPM pickup. Big advantage is that you'd gain RMS functionality. You'd give up the ability to add the inductive pickup accessory and the short-burst min/max function on the 88 (you still have a regular min/max function). You may gain some other things with the 179, as well, I forget.

Does the 88 have anything the 179 doesn't that I've forgotten?
scottmlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #20
nate379
Banned

I got 3 87s for free Passed 2 of them on and kept one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
Some people got that kit for $30... lucky lucky lucky day.

What I need to get is a meter with an amp clamp. I almost bought one to replace my dead Cman (A/C was only reading 1/2 the voltage) but it's big/bulky for most automotive work.