Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
Spaggs

Default 4000 psi concrete - different floor prep?

I'm building a garage with a workshop in it and Mohawk recommends 4000 psi concrete for the lift. Is the prep any different? And, do I tell the concrete guy not to lay any sealer on the top?

Thanks ahead of time.

Spaggs
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
AlphaGarage

Default Re: 4000 psi concrete - different floor prep?

If you plan on an epoxy coating , then you want to spec a light broom finish and no sealer.

Prep for our epoxy or epoxy/urethane system would be the same as for any other new concrete floor.
Fred@AlphaGarage.com 877-333-GARAGE (4272)

<br><br>
AlphaGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
FlameOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGarage View Post
If you plan on an epoxy coating , then you want to spec a light broom finish and no sealer.

Prep for our epoxy or epoxy/urethane system would be the same as for any other new concrete floor.
Wow, I didn't know you needed a light broom finish if you plan on epoxy. I'm glad you mentioned that as I'm getting ready to do my floor and was going to go with a smooth trowel finish
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
WolverineCoatings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
Wow, I didn't know you needed a light broom finish if you plan on epoxy. I'm glad you mentioned that as I'm getting ready to do my floor and was going to go with a smooth trowel finish
This is somewhat of a preference depending on how you intend to prep the floor for coating. Either way the floor will need to be prepped prior to coatings. The theory is that a broom finish (as opposed to a smooth troweled floor) gives more surface area for bonding after acid etching. If you are grinding then a smooth troweled floor might be better. If you are shot blasting then it probably doesn't matter either way.

Wolverine Coatings Corporation's products are sold exclusively through Fred with AlphaGarage for Residential or DIY applications. Please contact Fred@AlphaGarage.com for your DIY project.
WolverineCoatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
FlameOut

Just finished pouring concrete today. Went with a trowel finish. Now I just need to decide on what type of finish to go with. I guess I should wait at least a month before doing any epoxy? I have about 900 sf
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote