Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
joshbarre

Default Clearance required to park particular size cars?

Is there a standard for how much room a garage is required to have in order to park two normal size cars in it?
joshbarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
dmw56

Default Re: Clearance required to park particular size cars?

I don't know... a 2-3 feet on each side and in the middle so you can get out of the car. Whatever your comfortable with!
dmw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Chris Adams

Not really possible.
There are no such things as 'standard' size cars.
My last ten cars range from 62 inches wide to 78 inches wide. Trust me, you can't park two 78 wide in a 20 foot wide garage unless you climb out the windows.
Two 62 inch you can swing the doors wide.

Cool info, you can go on Edmunds.com and get the width of any cars you want under the specs, then do some figuring.

You can park say an ElDorado Touring Coupe and a Grand Cherokee side by side, but you have to watch the doors in a 20 foot wide.

But park an F150 next to a narrow Tracker and you have to squeeze into the Tracker with care.
See what I mean?
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
mikeyr

in my town a car takes 8ftx18ft. so garages have to 10ftx20ft for each car.

Of course that is bureaucratic standardization but its what you need for the permit.

The type of cars I drive, I could put 2 of them in that 10x20 space and have room to walk around, but I could barely fit my truck.
mikeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
Markgyver

A standard parking space for a car is 7'-6" to 9'-0" wide and 18'-0" deep. Now you can figure that a Ford Expedition is 6'-7" wide by 17'-1" long which is larger than 85% of cars sold in the US, If you plan on parking some of your crew cab long bed trucks you will need more room.
Markgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
redsky49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgyver View Post
A standard parking space for a car is 7'-6" to 9'-0" wide and 18'-0" deep. Now you can figure that a Ford Expedition is 6'-7" wide by 17'-1" long which is larger than 85% of cars sold in the US, If you plan on parking some of your crew cab long bed trucks you will need more room.
These are standard dimensions for parking lot spaces, though I have also seen the typical length listed as 19' rather than 18'. With the sizes quoted above, you may have trouble opening your car door if parking your Expedition next to another Expedition.

If you are planning for a large truck or van, you should get out your graph paper and make a little diagram. Door openings vary. My 2-door requires about twice the door opening space of my wife's 4-door, due in part to the sport seats in my car. Or try placing a plastic trash can 36" from your door and see if you can comfortably enter the vehicle without hitting the trash can. Then picture that trash can as made from a jagged rock, you have a double carmel macciato frappe lollpalooza in one hand and the garage lights are turned off when you are getting out of the car. Crunch!
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote