Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
GarageChop

Default Old Snapper Riding Mowers

Hey Guys,

I think this is the most relevant place to post this, being that it is technically a tool and all...

I've gotten the bug to buy an old Snapper riding mower (Like the one from Forrest Gump--which may be a Comet model?). Anyway, I was hoping to get some insight about the machine. How are they in terms of maneuverability around fences and landscaping, forward to reverse while cutting around obstacles, turning radius for tight spots, etc...

Any feedback would be great. I have your standard suburban yard with a fence in the back, some landscaping and a few trees, maybe 1/3 acre give or take. I know this "much" mower (as in a rider in general) may be overkill, but something about a cupholder with a beer in it attached to an old Snapper has caught my interest!

Thanks!

-Mike
GarageChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
TRTOOLSUPPLY

Default Re: Old Snapper Riding Mowers

Well Mike...a comet Snapper is about the most "simple" rider type mower you can(should?) ever buy.Here's a couple of neat things about a Snapper:they are somewhat like riding on top of a bush hog type mower!...they have the nickname of the lawn "scalper" for a reason(if you have any mole hills..they're history!).
The plus side ,very easy to work on them,parts still available and brings you right back to the 1950's!

P.S. There is NO KOOL factor while mowing with a comet!
TRTOOLSUPPLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
Charles (in GA)

I had one I acquired used. It was a piece of crap. Not because it was used or abused, it was just cheaply built and very frustrating to use.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
mdoolittle

Terrible cut, and takes an acre to turn the thing around. Easy to work on though.
mdoolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
81Seca

Don't own a Snapper, but have an older (mid 80's) Wheel Horse 18Hp and a Craftsman 21HP bought new 4-5 years ago. The Wheel Horse was sitting unused (& rusting) for some years and was picked up for $125. The Craftsman has a nice tight turning radius and is great for cutting grass. The Wheel Horse has larger rear wheels and easily out pulls the bigger HP Craftsman. When we need to pull our 20 foot boat out of the mud we go right to the Horse. Same with plowing. The Craftsman just slips and slides. OTOH, the Wheel Horse mowing deck is fine, but the larger turning radius makes it a pain for cutting the grass.
I guess it all depends on what your intended use is. Each tractor has it's advantages and it's weaknesses.
81Seca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
RM209

Several years ago I had a Jacobsen riding mower with almost the identical design, including the driven disc “transmission”; however, the Jacobsen had a single front wheel and a tiller for steering. It was OK for level ground, but I wouldn’t recommend it for a lawn w/ hills, as the brakes were weak and the disc would sometimes slip on steep hills.

RM209
RM209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Tarheelgarage

I have a 1982 Snapper and love it. It's still going strong after seeing several owners. Easy to work on and does a great job mowing. I wouldn't have anything else.
BTW, you couldn't give me a POS Craftsman
"One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence" - Thomas Sowell
Tarheelgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
toymn6366

around north georgia a nice older snapper comet will still bring in $300 to $500 range, they are easy to work on basic mowers that will you need a hunderd acre field to turn around they are not what you call lite on their wheels and to hold a beer you need one of those helments with holders and straws but i love those old snappers we used to use them as go karts when i was a kid
toymn6366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:38 AM   #9
GarageChop

Sounds like it may not be the best idea for me based on the turning radius. I have some tight areas around the corner of the fence and patio...

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

-Mike
GarageChop is offline   Reply With Quote