Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default The Skil 18v Lithium-Ion Tool Set

For reasons unknown to any rational person I know, Skil decided to send us a set of their latest 18v Lithium-Ion power tools for review. A risky move on their part primaril...
To read the rest of this blog entry from The Garage Journal, click here.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
BigRed390

Default Re: The Skil 18v Lithium-Ion Tool Set

Good to know. I'm in the market for a cordless sawzall. Just bought a 14 volt skilsaw this weekend. Worked great! Love the brand.
BigRed390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
X1 Mike

Good to know the initial impression is positive, if you need a longer term test I'll gladly volunteer...
X1 Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Tman

Looks like a rebrand made by Makita.

And Flashlights!? I thought they were lame when I bought the Makita set in 01, I use the flashlight as much as the screwgun, and that is about daily here on the homestead. Plus, we saved Shoes ride to Joplin with my Makita strapped to his bars when his bulbs went out at Mokan in 05! He rode by a dozen cops, one just shook his head as he cruised past!

www.compulsionrodandcustom.com
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
fordracing200

looks like a nice set! anyoen have expierence with the craftsman 19.2 cordless reciprocating saw?
fordracing200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
dan76

I've always considered the Skil brand as great for home use, but not robust enough for actual job sites.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #7
fordracing200

I used a skill corded drill that the chuck would always come loose on, and i've got a jig saw that cuts a worse line then my 30 year old sears one with worn guides

Last edited by fordracing200; 07-21-2009 at 08:38 AM.
fordracing200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:55 AM   #8
fatboy99

I had this same set with the ni cad battery's it was a total piece of junk the battery's went bad within a year the saw would kill the batt before you could cut 1/2 way across a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" ply wood ended up giving the set away because no one would even give me 5 buck's for it
Brad
fatboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy99 View Post
I had this same set with the ni cad battery's it was a total piece of junk the battery's went bad within a year the saw would kill the batt before you could cut 1/2 way across a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" ply wood ended up giving the set away because no one would even give me 5 buck's for it
Brad
This set just came out - are you sure it's the same? As mentioned in the review, this circular saw did fine for a bit... But frankly, I just don't think the idea of a cordless circular saw is worked out. I don't think the technology is there yet.

The reciprocating saw straight up rules. I love it.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan76 View Post
I've always considered the Skil brand as great for home use, but not robust enough for actual job sites.
I wouldn't argue with that.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #11
global72

Send a message via Yahoo to global72

I had a project a while ago that put me in the attic for a few hours. The Dewalt 18 volt circular saw I used was a life saver. Much easier for a project like that than standard circular saw.

www.StrictlyToolBoxes.com
888-289-1952
global72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
woodbox

I dont know how many times I've been to the cupboard to grab the drill for a job, only to find that the battery is flat! So I have to put the job off till tomorrow whilst the damn thing charges overnite!.....Very frustrating! I have a 100' extension lead that is extremely handy when working away from the shop, and it always has enough power in it!
woodbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #13
Axis11

I think ever since Bosch bought Skil that thier quality has gotten better. Is that a one hour charger?
I have Bosch's version of the cordless circular saw that came in a kit and it rips.
Don't underestimate the new cordless offerings; although they will never replace corded they have gotten better. I used the cordless circular saw and cordless jigsaw building a pergola this past week and weekend. If you keep one battery charging while using the other you can go most of the day.
Axis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
stinkythings.com

Wow ! Perfect timing for this review. I will be purchasing 2 sets of cordless drill-circular saw-reciprocating saw sets. One for me and one for Dad. I was leaning towards Dewalt. Admin I respect your unbiased opinion. I was convinced Skil was one of the lower quality chinese brands. I feel better now that they are owned by Bosch and met your demands adequately.
stinkythings.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:46 AM   #15
fatboy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
This set just came out - are you sure it's the same? As mentioned in the review, this circular saw did fine for a bit... But frankly, I just don't think the idea of a cordless circular saw is worked out. I don't think the technology is there yet.

The reciprocating saw straight up rules. I love it.
Same selection of tool's but Nicad battery's also the circular saw was a 7 3/4"
I wouldnt buy another Skill set the quility is just not there
Brad
fatboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #16
Jeepguy
milman

I used the 18V circ saw over the weekend, on a full charge, with a brand new blade and it locked up on a single 4x4 post, I bet the guy who owned it that it would get through a few 2 x 4's either, and it didnt. if you plan on using the tools, dont get the skil, if you just want to look at them I still say dont get them. Sorry skil i have two corded circ saws and love them both, but the cordless just dont stand up
Jeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #17
milkovich

Great review.

I'm still leery of the li-ion revolution, but that much lighter would be nice.

Not much for they styling though.
milkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #18
speed bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing200 View Post
looks like a nice set! anyoen have expierence with the craftsman 19.2 cordless reciprocating saw?
I used one the other day and they work fine but if I was using it very often I would use Li-ion batteries with it. My dad quit carrying his corded sawzall after he bought one but he only uses his occasionally and has about 10-15 batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis11 View Post
I think ever since Bosch bought Skil that thier quality has gotten better. Is that a one hour charger?
I have Bosch's version of the cordless circular saw that came in a kit and it rips.
Don't underestimate the new cordless offerings; although they will never replace corded they have gotten better. I used the cordless circular saw and cordless jigsaw building a pergola this past week and weekend. If you keep one battery charging while using the other you can go most of the day.
I'll disagree with that; we have a couple of old Skil saws and they are much better built than the new ones.
speed bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #19
woodbox

Ryan, You should be able to give this lot a damn good thrashing while you are setting up The World Headquarters of Atomic Industries! Lets see some pictures of your handy work!
woodbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #20
carlito

Send a message via ICQ to carlito

I have this set, plus a cordless jigsaw. I have barely used most of the tools, but use the drill alot. I believe mine are the NiCad version, so that battery is barely useable, however the tools are fine. For any real work I have corded tools to use in place of any of these. I have found the recip and jigsaw both very handy for quick cuts to fix a rabbit hutch, or for junkyard trips such as cutting off a nice used Flowmaster muffler in a couple of minutes max. I am going to make another such trip to cut out some patch panels for my Jeep.
carlito is offline   Reply With Quote