Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > Garage Sale > Classifieds

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
RetroJim55

Default WTB-Cam Bearing Installer Tool

I am looking for a cam bearing installer tool set for a reasonable price .
I don't need the cheap one for sbc that Summit & Jegs sells . I need them for a Ford sb and a Ford Y block and Mopars .
If you have one , you can email me at -retrojim1@comcast.net or on the HAMB under RetroJim . I am only here about once a week or so but on the HAMB every night .
RetroJim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
Packard V8

Default Re: WTB-Cam Bearing Installer Tool

Dura-Bond makes the best one, but current retail is $440. They sell for less than $100 sometimes, but always missing some parts. Check http://www.dura-bondbearing.com/Prod...CamBearingTool to make sure you are getting all the little expanders and sleeves.

thnx, jack vines
Packard V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
ozzy214

Can make your own out of all thread. some washers, and some of the bits out of a bearing race install kit. Google and ye shall find pics on how to do it.
ozzy214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Packard V8

Quote:
Can make your own out of all thread. some washers, and some of the bits out of a bearing race install kit.
Respectfully, in reading the OP, he was quite clear as to his request:

Quote:
I am looking for a cam bearing installer tool set for a reasonable price .
I don't need the cheap one
If one is installing cam bearings maybe once a year and is not on the clock for time, then the shadetree-all-thread-lashup can work. However, the OP and most here usually look for the correct best-quality tool for the job. If it can be had at a bargain, so much the better.

thnx, jack vines
Packard V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
RetroJim55

Thanks for the homemade idea of making a cam bearing tool BUT I prefer to buy a kit that I can use for different engines . Cam bearings need to be perfect and square in the block with no marks or nicks on the inside and I am not sure about the homemade one .
Thanks for the great idea !
RetroJim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
ozzy214

Your most welcome. But I can assue you..if you do it right...the all thread will work. I have been a mech for years....years....damn my beard is getting long....

And all I ever used for the rare times of a engine rebuild was all thread. I once asked my boss to buy it as a shop tool and nope hes been using all thread for 25 + years.

If you take time and watch when they are going in...your all good.

But if your hooked on the idea, your best bet is ebay or possible haunt the snap on truck. My dealer if you throw cash on the table will give you a awsome discount over retail versus credit.

Good luck with your quest. Oh a tip..if you DO decide to go cheapie. When you get the old bearing out. Take a chunk out of it and use it as the pushing tool with the all thread to get it in perfect without marring the new one. Cutting the chunk out takes the radius out so it will be smaller and pop out if pushed too far.
ozzy214 is offline   Reply With Quote