Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
TimbrSS

Default Help wiring in new TIG welder

Hey guys, just picked up a used Lincoln Squarewave 255. I need to figure out how to get it powered up.

I have 200 amp service going to a box in my basement, and need to run power 40ft thru a crawl space to get to my garage.

Instruction manual calls for a 100 amp breaker, then says use 4 AWG copper wire with 8AWG ground. The welder has a 10' cord with 3 4awg wires coming out of it, no plug.

First question is can I use 2AWG aluminium wire, as it's less than half the cost of copper? Does the wire need to be in conduit?

Second question is what kind of recepticle/box should I put in the garage? I figured I'd just hardwire the welder into some sort of box. I wouldn't mind adding a 50a 220v outlet for a MIG while I'm at it, if it's convienient. I don't know, but it may be better to put in a subpanel at this time?

Any advice is appreciated.
TimbrSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
35mastr

Default Re: Help wiring in new TIG welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbrSS View Post
Hey guys, just picked up a used Lincoln Squarewave 255. I need to figure out how to get it powered up.

I have 200 amp service going to a box in my basement, and need to run power 40ft thru a crawl space to get to my garage.

Instruction manual calls for a 100 amp breaker, then says use 4 AWG copper wire with 8AWG ground. The welder has a 10' cord with 3 4awg wires coming out of it, no plug.

First question is can I use 2AWG aluminium wire, as it's less than half the cost of copper? Does the wire need to be in conduit?

I would use the copper regardless of cost. The aluminum is just not as good IMO. Alot of homes around here have been rewired due to poor aluminum wire.Conduit will be your choice. I personally dont use it in areas not to be seen. Just nail to the wood.
Second question is what kind of recepticle/box should I put in the garage? I figured I'd just hardwire the welder into some sort of box. I wouldn't mind adding a 50a 220v outlet for a MIG while I'm at it, if it's convienient. I don't know, but it may be better to put in a subpanel at this time?

You could hardwire it.But I would not. If you need to move it or weld outdoors you are going to be SOL. I woulld get a weldor plug and add it to the weldor and put a couple outlets in the shop for it also.Any advice is appreciated.
Lots of people have there way of doing things. I just prefer do do it right the first time despite any costs involved. last thing you want is a fire.

Make sure you get at least 2 good fire bottles too. For those unsuspected fires that will happen.

Mac tools For Sale Here
George

Last edited by 35mastr; 07-18-2009 at 09:16 PM.
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
rodm1

More then likely you will be just fine with a 50amp breaker. I have a Precision Tig 275 on a 50amp breaker threw a 60amp service and rarely pop the service and only when stick welding never with Tig.

If you go over 60amp hardwire is the only real option or spend several hundred dollars on plugs.
rodm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
LoneGunman

I prefer copper BUT if I was buying the wire ( I am an electrician so I rarely have to buy my own stuff) I'd buy the aluminum. Aluminum has a bad rap, every power company I have dealt with runs aluminum to your meter, as long as the aluminum is tightened properly and properly prepared (no ox, deox ) you will have no problems. I would never run my whole house with al but a feed for a welder or a subpanel, you betcha. Being that you are only feeding a welder or a subpanel it is nothing to check the connections yearly for heat or corrosion.
LoneGunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
LoneGunman

"More then likely you will be just fine with a 50amp breaker. I have a Precision Tig 275 on a 50amp breaker threw a 60amp service and rarely pop the service and only when stick welding never with Tig."

When a breaker trips it's life expectancy is shortened, if it happens enough it will trip before an overload condition, so you reset it again, it trips , you reset again ETC ETC. Usually it's not a problem but it's not unheard of for the breaker to get to a point where it stops tripping and remains closed in an overload condition. The best case scenario is you burn up some wire or your equipment, you can imagine what the worst case scenario is.

This is not theory, this is fact that I have witnessed first hand more than once.
LoneGunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #6
TimbrSS

I'm thinking about just running copper to a 100A subpanel, hard wire the welder to the panel, and add a 50A breaker with a nearby outlet (for other 220 machines) while I'm at it. I always live by the theory that the most expensive way upfront (within reason), will be cheaper in the long run.

If I put in a sub panel, what wire size, and how many wires should I run?

Also, this is an attatched garage, and the walls are finished, so I would like to install this as neatly as possible. If anyone has pics of how they installed there subpanel, etc, it'd be very helpful.

With a 10' power cord and a 25' lead on the torch, I can touch all 4 corners of my 2 car garage. The welder weigh 300lbs, and won't roll too well on my gravel driveway, so I doub't I'll do much welding outside, out of my 25' reach anyways. Hard wiring will also make a good excuse when someone asks if they can borrow it.

Thanks for all the info, you guys are great.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Blown71X

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodm1 View Post
More then likely you will be just fine with a 50amp breaker. I have a Precision Tig 275 on a 50amp breaker threw a 60amp service and rarely pop the service and only when stick welding never with Tig.

While I am doing something similar, Just be careful the 255 can draw 93 amps in unbalanced AC...even at moderate output (>100 Amp) in DC will tax a 50 Amp outlet, I also have a PT 255
I knew this going into it and am very watchful of the connection and ran a short run (under 3 feet) in conduit just for this reason,Trust me it DOES get warm.

If you go over 60amp hardwire is the only real option or spend several hundred dollars on plugs.

Yep a disconnect capable of the required current is in excess of 400 dollars by the time it is all said and done, plus you are stuck to that dedicated location, I plan on it because what little aluminum I do just pushes my "comfort zone" on a 50 amp outlet.
This dude is probably too much for home use but It sure is nice not having to go to other peoples shops every time I needed a TIG
Rick
Old 07-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #8
TimbrSS

Just an update. Went with 2-2-2 Al wire. Working on putting in a 12 breaker flush mount sub panel. I am going to wire the welder into a seperate box, to make it easy to remove if I ever need to. Also Doing a 50A outlet while I'm at it. I got almost everthing done except making the terminations. If all goes well, I'll be melting something this weeking. Thanks for all the advice.