Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
kf4zht

Default Oil pump for gear oil, atf, etc

I need to do the transmission and rear end fluid on my truck ('99 f-250, 6sp manual). However I have not so fond memories of spending way too much time under my jeeps with a hand pump and a crick in my neck pumping seemingly endless bottles of gear oil. I figured that if I can buy a proper pump to do this for the same money it would cost to have the service done at a shop I will have more uses later on my jeep project and other things.

Idealy it would have a several quart (at least) reservoir, easy to clean, air powered (or 120v) and if it has a vacuum function to remove oil from diffs and coolant it would be more valuable.

Price range around 150-200 or so.
kf4zht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
Charles (in GA)

Default Re: Oil pump for gear oil, atf, etc

I've never has issues with the hand pumps, they move alot of fluid fast and are cheap. The ones I use pump from either quarts (big mouth like an AMSOIL quart bottle) or gallon jugs.

http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/...p--648771.aspx

I think these can be found cheaper elsewhere, this is just the first link I found.

I use this to pump three quarts of ATF fluid in my Ranger 5 spd, and also to fill rear ends with. I'd have to be servicing trannys or rear ends all the time to want to spend big bucks on something else.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Rigmaster

Tranny can easily be filled with a funnel and a length of hose. Stick one end of the hose thru the fill plug + secure it so it doesn't flop out, then fish the other end up thru the engine bay and stick a funnel in it, then fill from up top. It helps if you know the approx capacity so you don't run gear oil all out all over the floor.

I've also had good luck with the type of pump that Charles posted, they are cheap and work well. I'm all for justifying new tool purchases, but unless I was in the trans/rear end oil change business, I can't see paying $150-200 for something to do it.
Rigmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
rhandwor

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/s...70_13350_13350
10950 321 search This sets on a five gallon bucket

Last edited by rhandwor; 07-26-2009 at 06:45 PM.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Art From De Leon

If you are going to spend the money, get a pneumatic piston pump, you can move almost any viscosity of fluid with it, and with a ball valve to throttle the air supply you can pump as slow or as fast as you want. Plus you can close a valve on the discharge and the pump will just stall out.

I got the shop to buy one to use for filling Versash!t differentials and planetaries with 90/140wt gear oil.
Art From De Leon is offline   Reply With Quote