Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
rickd.

Send a message via Yahoo to rickd.
Question Diamond Calk Horseshoe Co. adjustable wrench.

I have a Diamond Calk Horseshoe Co. 15" adjustable wrench and a Trimont Mfg. Co. (Roxbury Mass.) 18" adjustable wrench. I want to know if anyone knows what there worth, or are they junk. I admit I have had these two wrenches for a long time and don't know if there worth hanging on to. Could someone help me with this? I am going to try to add a photo of the above mentioned items for your opinion. Thanks for any help you can give me. Rickd.

Obviously my picture adding skill are lacking.

Last edited by rickd.; 08-01-2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Picture of tool didn't work
rickd. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
Blacknwhitepit

Default Re: Diamond Calk Horseshoe Co. adjustable wrench.

They are good quality tools. However, one can argue the value of an adjustable wrench....

Anyway, there is limited collector value, so my advice is to give it work and enjoy a good old USA made tool.

Also, Welcome to the board!

-BWP
Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
rickd.

Send a message via Yahoo to rickd.

Blacknwhitepit.. Thanks for the quick response. I actually got a picture of the wrenches on my profile page ( I think) not used to this stuff yet, but thanks again.
rickd. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
lbgradwell

Hey Rick,

I just saw your photo in the other thread...

The Trimont is actually a Stillson pipe wrench and the Diamond is actually what's known as an auto wrench. They're interesting from a historical perspective (at least to a guy like me), but they have no real value whatsoever; you might get $10 apiece for them.

Like BWP says, keep 'em because they're old & cool. Use them, or hang them in your garage!

(BTW, welcome!)
Old 08-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Shocker

Send me a pic of that Diamond Calk wrench. I got me a pile of those but no 15"
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Elroy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickd. View Post
I have a Diamond Calk Horseshoe Co. 15" adjustable wrench............
I want to know if anyone knows what there worth, or are they junk. I admit I have had these two wrenches for a long time and don't know if there worth hanging on to.
Did you say Junk??

Spare Elroy the pain. They are far from Junk.

They're worth about 25 cents:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroy View Post

Which facility would you rather have? A productive factory employing skilled labor producing this or a "strip mall" selling crap and not producing a dam thing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
So Elroy has the tool collection "habit" real BAD. There is a local pawn shop that is a regular visit for Elroy. The same shop that had the Snappy HD box that was discussed above. But Elroy is getting ahead of the story.

So last night we stopped by this "shop" to check out their current offerings. As soon as we walk up to the tool display, this little gem presents itself. This thing was ABSOLUTELY PREMIUM. Not a flaw or blemish ! Perfect condition in all respects. Can you say PRIMO ???

We set it aside and keep digging thru all the China crap looking for additional nice pieces.

We ended up selecting (4) pieces total. Took them to the counter and made a statement to this effect:

You guys see me come in here all the time and every time I try to buy something we piss each other off. I found this nice adjustable wrench and I'm willing to pay a good price for it but don't try to fuck on these:

A nice 7/8" MAC combination, a Craftsman V-Series and a modified Indesto.

And the shop Manager says:

Tell ya what, You're in here all the time. How about $1 for all four.

So Elroy says, come on don't yank me

No, I want your business. Give me a buck.

So here Elroy picks up four premium quality tools for 25 cents each. Plus tax of course!
So for a $1.06 Elroy is a happy boy and we close the deal.

After the transaction, Elroy inquired about the Harley box. The shop manager stated he had $800 in a primo Snap-on box and felt lucky to sell it.

So get this: he said it sold for $1,000

I couldn't believe it went that cheap. When Elroy was looking at it last year, he had like $2,500 on it.

Goes to show: cash talks ! Don't be afraid to deal.

Oh, By the way, That indestro is NOT BROKEN. Someone cut it open to make a line wrench out of it. The way Elroy looked at it was that if had not failed it must be a good tool

Elroy was hoping to get a "you suck award" but the guy who picked up that Snap-On box for a grand really sucks !!!!
Elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
fearless_fool

I'm not a tool junkie, but I do appreciate a reliable tool when I see one. So on a recent bicycle ride, I was surprised and happy to see an 8" adjustable wrench lying in the gutter -- I've got a 4" and a 15", but lacked anything in-between. I picked it up, took it home and after about five minutes of scrubbing off the road gunk, I saw the words "Diamond Calk Horseshoe Co" appear. (It took a lot more cleaning to get the wrench to a usable state -- the entire screw assembly was caked solid with junk.)

Google, of course, led me here. Can anyone give me dates on when this was manufactured? I'm guessing from this article that it was sometime before 1958 when Diamond Calk Horseshoe changed their name, but don't know much else.

Pictures for those that want:

fearless_fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
Mickey O

That 15" Diamond is a very vary rare and valuable wrench. Okay I was just kidding, I have no idea what the value would be but I had to post because, and I'm not kidding (hand to God), I have the wrenches pictured below sitting on the garage floor, what are the odds.

Cheap tools are for chumps.

...the wealthy can currently “accumulate many millions of dollars in these accounts, substantially more than is needed to fund reasonable levels of retirement saving.”
Mickey O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
dfndr

Your sales tax is 6%? That's a bargain.
dfndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
sberry

I have a bunch of Diamond adjustables, very good premium wrench. I still grab them up if I run across one at the right price.
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
HandyManny

Just thought I'd chime in on this one. Yes those adjustable wrenches made by Diamond Caulk Horseshoe Co were excellent tough and rugged tools. They were made back in a time when men were men and American tools were tough. I still have and use regularly my 12" and 10" wrenches I acquired in the mid 1950's. Mine are the oxide finished tool steel versions with polished faces, or they were when new. Only thing the years have done to them is wear much of that old black finish off with handling and use. Both have mostly a light grayish patina'd look now with a few minor nicks and scrapes. I always prefered Diamond Caulk adjustables over the more common Crescent adjustables. Back then a good many hardware stores, farm&feed co-ops, and automotive supply store sold Diamond adjustable wrenches, though Crescents were much more common.
HandyManny is offline   Reply With Quote