Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
MNChevySS

Default LCD TV in Cold Weather

Well my house was struck by lightning last week and along with about half of my electronics, my 27" garage TV bit the dust. I can't buy a tube anymore and I have "replacement" value on my insurance so I'm planning on getting a middle of the line 26"-30" LCD.

Does anyone know if a LCD will withstand a minnesota winter?

My garage is well insulated and I have a Bigg Maxx heater, but I don't run in all winter long, (planned on it until I got the first gas bill) so it could very easily get below zero if the doors are left open for a bit. Typically it stays about 40 degrees in the winter. It would be hanging close to the ceiling so maybe that would help?

If anyone has done this with success, please let me know, thanks much!
MNChevySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
vartz04

Default Re: LCD TV in Cold Weather

I have my 26" in my dads garage and it seems to be fine. But our garage never goes below freezing
vartz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Falcon67

Some hints here maybe - check the shipping temp of the TV

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5131

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
lametec

From the manufacturers:

- The storage temperature for these units is -20 to 60 degrees Celsius. Regards David Herbert LG Canada

- Please be advised that the recommended storage temperature should be between -20 Celsius and +60 Celsius. However,thetelevision cannot be plugged in until the television's internal temperature is 0-40 degrees Celsius. Please ensure that you unplug the television prior to storing it, and that the television is well warmed-up before plugging it in after the storage period. Regards, Panasonic Canada Inc. - Customer Care Centre - bg

- Thank you for submitting your inquiry to Samsung.For all 3 different technologies, LCD, DLP or PLASMA, the manufacturer recommends a storage temperature (TV off mode) between -4F to 113F (-20C to 45C). Same storage temperatures for all. We also recommend that regardless of what type you buy, that you unplug the TV from the wall socket when not in use for a very long period and to let TV warm up by just plugging it for 12 hours before operating the next time. - Samsung Limitless Support

- I'm glad to provide you the information regarding the operating temperature and storage temperature of the Sony TV. The television can be placed in storage with environmental temperatures between -4 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit (F) and 20-90% Relative Humidity (RH). The recommended temperature for proper operation is between 41F to 96F. Proper operation outside of this temperature range cannot be guaranteed. Thank you for your time. Sony of Canada, Ltd. C6EL Jason

Just make sure it's up to operating temperature range before turning it on.

Last edited by lametec; 08-14-2009 at 11:13 AM.
lametec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
Chris Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNChevySS View Post
Well my house was struck by lightning last week and along with about half of my electronics, my 27" garage TV bit the dust. I can't buy a tube anymore and I have "replacement" value on my insurance so I'm planning on getting a middle of the line 26"-30" LCD.

Does anyone know if a LCD will withstand a minnesota winter?

My garage is well insulated and I have a Bigg Maxx heater, but I don't run in all winter long, (planned on it until I got the first gas bill) so it could very easily get below zero if the doors are left open for a bit. Typically it stays about 40 degrees in the winter. It would be hanging close to the ceiling so maybe that would help?

If anyone has done this with success, please let me know, thanks much!
They don't like it cold.
Cheat.
Get your payment for the cost of the flat screen, then by a CRT TV for about 5% of the cost used.
There are TONS of them for sale for about nothing right now.
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
back2class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
They don't like it cold.
Cheat.
Get your payment for the cost of the flat screen, then by a CRT TV for about 5% of the cost used.
There are TONS of them for sale for about nothing right now.
Tell me about it, our local flea market has a TV guy with minty nice 32" tube tv's for like $35 and about $20 for 20" sizes. Keep the diff and byt something else cool
back2class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
jmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2class View Post
Tell me about it, our local flea market has a TV guy with minty nice 32" tube tv's for like $35 and about $20 for 20" sizes. Keep the diff and byt something else cool
His insurance will likely require receipt to confirm purchase of the replacement TV and adjust the payout accordingly
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Mike83

Make sure you have a surge protector for the new TV and other expensive electronics.
Mike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
TONE

cold weather doesnt effect comouters and electronics like that................but heat does
TONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
Identaltech

just a thought, you have seen all these vans and cars with dvd players and lcd screens.
people use them all the time and I'm shure its colder in a van parked outside than in your garage.
why not heat your garage.
I keep mine at 45 to 50 and dosn't cost that much more than just heating it when I'm out there.
Identaltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
35mastr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike83 View Post
Make sure you have a surge protector for the new TV and other expensive electronics.
This will save your new TV. Be sure to get one when you pick up the new one.

Mac tools For Sale Here
George
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
JamieK

Check on an extended service plan for the tv. I just bought a flatscreen, and got the service plan. If anything happens to the tv for the next five years (outside of obvious abuse), its replaced free, no questions asked. Even lightning damage. I probably paid too much for the plan, but the tv was a display model, and was marked way down.

Jamie
JamieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #13
e-tek

I'm glad I read this - I need to get a surge for my new TV set up!!

I keep my shop (simialr heater) on a programmable thermostat. Set it for 5C (42F) for all the time and then it only takes a few minutes to bring it up to working temps.
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:05 AM   #14
back2class

Surge will not protect from lightning. Kicks in too high.
back2class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:21 AM   #15
Rte66Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
His insurance will likely require receipt to confirm purchase of the replacement TV and adjust the payout accordingly
If they do he needs to change insurance companies - once they write you a check for REPLACEMENT value, they'd better be completely out of the picture..........whether it be LCD or TUBE
Rte66Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #16
Maizen

Well it surely doesn't get as cold her in Oklahoma as it does in Minnesota, but in the winter temps are usually below freezing and occasionally drop to near zero. We do however have some wildly fluctuating temps where it will be 10 degrees one day and 45 the next. I have an inexpensive 42" 1080P LCD by Dynex (Best Buy house brand) in my garage and it seems to work fine. I did buy the 3-year extended warranty for $99 just in case though!
Maizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #17
Falcon67

Don't limit surge protection to the TV - I have it on the washer, stove, microwave - all that stuff has sensitive circuitry in it now. Microwave is kind of a whatever, those are pretty cheap to replace LOL.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #18
MNChevySS

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to buy a middle of the road TV from best buy with a service plan and not worry about it.

Also, I did have surge protectors in my main tv area, still blew a xbox 360, a stereo receiver, a dvd player, but ironically enough, it did not blow my 50" samsung LCD plugged into the same surge protector. In my office it blew my computer, monitors and a lamp, also all plugged into a surge protector. All in all it was random and did not make a difference if things were plugged into a surge protector or not.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...ase_sku=PRO8T2

is the exact model of surge protectors I have and the damn things did not even trip, or blow a fuse or anything. When I get done taking care of the necesseties like my garage stereo and garage TV this weekend I'm gonna give old APC a call and ask em what they think of there APC Professional SurgeArrest, 8 outlet, 2 pairs phone line protection surge protector NOW!!!

I always heard they were worth the money, now I'm not so sure!!!
MNChevySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #19
Chris Adams

My expensive TV is on a UPS, gives it more protection than any surge protector.

When you get 3k in a TV you don't take many chances...
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #20
Gary S

You shouldn't have any problems with LCD's if you follow the manufacturer's temperature recommendations. I have seen the LCD displays of Fluke multimeters destroyed by extremely cold temperatures, so if you exceed the limits of the LCD, it will happen.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote