Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
RBX

Default Shipping Container Garage

Some call them:
Shipping Containers, or Sea Containers, or Sea Containers, even ISO Containers .... and i think my garage build will be created with the above mentioned.
My Plan....
lay slab foundation with two course of block above the slab....20'x24'
3 Containers 20' long slice and dice them to fit...

In the above image i have cut out the floors to gain height since the standard interior height of a container is less then 8'.
i do plan on installing a roof to create more storage area, as well as making these look less like bunch of containers welded together (windows, paint, doors, trim)
I plan on finishing the interior of the structure with OSB and sheetrock. My compressor will remain in an adjacent building, so this noise will not be an issue.

any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as i am still in the design phase. This process seems to be the cheapest solution i have found so far, mainly because i have a neighbor at the port.

thanks,
RB
RBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
jh_m5

Default Re: Shipping Container Garage

I remember watching a show, might have been on discovery. Some women build her entire home out of these containers. The whole thing was finished nicely with a standard roof. One could never tell from the exterior.
jh_m5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
JamieK

Great idea. Houses are even being made out of these things. Google "shipping container homes" for pics like these...

You could add height by stacking the containers, welding, and then cutting out the floor/ceiling. That should be tall enough for a lift. Oh, make sure you measure the actual container size before building a foundation. They may not be exactly 20' x 24'.

Jamie
JamieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Jeepguy
milman

great idea. there is a place up hear in Yokamtown about 60 miles from you in MD that sells, and rents these. i wish i could remember their name. doesnt matter here is a place right in your back yard. http://www.kkcontainers.com/

Addition; Great job with Sketchup i love that little program for simple concept drawings. The military has been usuing "seatainers" to make office buildings on bases for a while now, just search seatainer office building and it should come up on google

Last edited by Jeepguy; 08-20-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Jeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
lilredex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_m5 View Post
I remember watching a show, might have been on discovery. Some women build her entire home out of these containers. The whole thing was finished nicely with a standard roof. One could never tell from the exterior.
Saw another show that built a whole apartment complex out of them.

Closer to home, there is a guy on a main highway using one of the big ones for some kind of storage/shop and he has it painted sky blue with some kind of nature scene on the side facing the HWY. blends right in with everything else.
lilredex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
litljay

In all seriousness, check with your local building department as I'm sure those haven't been engineered for the purpose you've intended here, especially after hacking them apart.
litljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
wantedabiggergarage

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ntainer+garage

I thought there was another one that showed the inside and all the work, but I couldn't find it here, or on You Tube, so I don't know where I saw it.

EDIT: Found it
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...&f=17&t=510228
from
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ntainer+garage
Old 08-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
RBX

thanks for the replies!
A container is designed to be stacked, loaded, 9 high without compromise to the structure. ISO standards(redundant?) for these containers must all be within a few millimeters, so all boxes 'fit'.
I live in Maryland, if California (some of the strictest building codes) can build houses with this stuff, i am confident i can build an out-building....but of coarse i need to verify that.

The other few threads, but they don't address my building idea so i started this thread.
this will only be more economical for me if i get these containers from my neighbor......container companies are not that cheap. I will purchase a plasma cutter and a decent used welder to sure up any of the structure that doesn't seem safe.
I am limited to 15' height, so i will not be stacking these...wish i could though.

keep the replies and links coming,
RB

Last edited by RBX; 08-20-2009 at 04:01 PM.
RBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
rsanter

I had a similar thought a while back, however my plan was to use 2 of them and space them apart enough for a 2 car garage between them which would be span with trusses to make the roof and then I would create a lower shed type roof over the 2 containers so the overall look would be like some of the old barns you used to see.
the center part would be the work area, one container would be just storage and the other can be a workshop area for my mill, lathe, boring bar, and headshop stuff.
I would only need to cut doorways between the containers and the central part so the strenth of the container would not be very effected

those things can take thousands of pounds of weight with no trouble, but check the local codes

bob
Old 08-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
litljay

Yeah, they are pretty rigid. I ship somewhere around 10 containers a day (through the Port of Oakland) and have welded on them many times (when they show up with holes in them). I'm sure something could be worked out though with interior bracing (of the cut open container).

I get these photo's all the time from folks trying to sell shipping insurance.

litljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
ears

The shop we had at work in our old location was two kentucky trailers blocked up on either side of a slab. The back wall was a 40 foot sea crate with about five feet past the trailers on either side. Then we put up a metal carport style roof and a front wall with a 14'H x 12'w door.

It was quick, cheap and effective.

Aruond here a 40 footer runs $1200. Three of these, a slab, roof, and front wall and you would have a 40' x 40' shell cheap and quick.
ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:27 AM   #12
gsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBX View Post
I am limited to 15' height, so i will not be stacking these...wish i could though.

keep the replies and links coming,
RB
couldn't you dig down your foundation a couple of feet to allow for stacking two together and be below your limit of 15'?? it would be nice to have the height for a lift in the future..
gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
Jpfreak33

Send a message via AIM to Jpfreak33

GREAT IDEA!!!!
I have pondered the idea of doing a container house for my next project, but I think that will be put on hold to create my next home, inspired my a 50s style fire station.

I have seen a few shows on HGTV about container homes and they are cheap! Please do this and post pics of everything!!!
Jpfreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
jmack

Am I the only one wondering why you would do this? I see a lot of people saying "great idea", but what makes it so great? Wouldn't it look hideous?

Are the people who are saying it's great, saying so because this is some kind of "green" building because it recycles used materials?

Maybe I just don't see it, but having a series of ugly metal boxes on my yard just doesn't seem appealing. Why not build something nice?
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
nate379
Banned

I agree!

The ISOs work ok for a shed, but to cut and weld a bunch up dunno. Seems like it'd be easier to build a reg stick built building.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #16
Jeepguy
milman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Am I the only one wondering why you would do this? I see a lot of people saying "great idea", but what makes it so great? Wouldn't it look hideous?

Are the people who are saying it's great, saying so because this is some kind of "green" building because it recycles used materials?

Maybe I just don't see it, but having a series of ugly metal boxes on my yard just doesn't seem appealing. Why not build something nice?
It is a great idea for all of the above, "green materials", inexpensive materals, strong, readilly available everywhere. you can put any siding on it you want. the few i have seen have a stucko(sp?) finish on the outside, and either beed board, or drywall on the inside.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
Chris Adams

Can't have them here, unless you are related to city employees etc. But they are sturdy suckers. My BIL has several on his place, way out of town. Some were finished in Teak inside, bought them all for about 800 apiece a few years ago.
Made the cheapest 40x8x8 sheds imaginable.
The finished ones are actually nice enough you could live in them.
He is a pac-rat and keeps all kinds of stuff in them.

If I lived in the country I would have some because they make the best sheds with the best security.

For those concerned about looks, not everyone lives in the city, or in a picturesque hamlet in the pines.

Lots of folks live in real farm country, not gentleman farms, with white picket fences.
Heck, here, just outside of my town they live in raw desert, with the neighbor having perhaps a hundred tons of old mining equipment, or fifteen old cars in his yard. Or six or seven old buildings. Or all of the above.
About 30% of Americans live rural.
And building a big steel building for pocket change is COOL.
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #18
cat06

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post

Depending on where you live, the shipping containers could save you a bunch of money in property taxes.

Because they are not a perm structure they aren't taxed (property taxes). They can be painted or sided to make them more decent looking.
cat06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #19
hydramatic

I own 2 50 footers...best investment ive made in years..
hydramatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #20
tcianci

Send a message via AIM to tcianci

I'm thinking a 4 foot block wall to set them on and the 8 feet or so hight of the container would yield a building with a 12 foot ceiling, plenty for a lift.

Tags
cargo, container, ocean, sea, shipping