Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
heathy

Default Engine Hoist Recommendations

I'm looking for an engine hoist. A 1/2 ton should be more than enough for my needs.

I did find a thread about the Pep Boys one and it's crap.

Anyone use the Harbor Freight one or the one from Northern Tool?

HF http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93704

Northern Tool http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5491_200305491

I'll need a load leveler as well but that can be purchased separately.

TIA
Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
brownbagg

Default Re: Engine Hoist Recommendations

I got the HF one, and it does what it says, its OK, and worth the money, I just wish it had a faster ram or a power ram. only thing I dont like is the folding legs, are very hard to pin.
Thats not the one I have.

I have this one.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35915

Last edited by brownbagg; 08-24-2009 at 06:19 PM.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
FatFndr

Try NAPA (if there's one in your area), they have good quality at reasonable prices. If you're only considering the two you have listed, I'd look into the Northern Tool and compare it against other well-known brands before you purchase. With tools, don't shop price, shop quality. Also, if it is only for a once or twice usage, consider renting, that way you don't have the expense of purchasing nor the storage/maintenance issues.
FatFndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
heathy

I'm not stuck with those brands at all. I'll consider anything. I just don't want to buy crap like the pep boys one.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Hiball

In all honesty theres not much difference between the American made brand Long jacks compared to the Harbor Freight versions or the napa as far as that goes, Especially in the 1/2 ton to 2 ton range.
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
dlwilson

I got the same hoist as brownbagg. It was on sale at the time, and I had a 20% coupon, so I got the hoist and an engine leveler out the door for $168. I didn't have any problem lifting a Jaguar V12 and transmission on the 1/2 ton setting. It also pulled an LT1 with transmission.

I really recommend the engine leveler; it made things much easier.
dlwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
sberry

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=7620 My Bud has this one, very well made, flawless fit and it wasn't the Chinaman's first try with the MIG, first class welding.
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
metal1313

heck if you can find that one on sale and with a 20% off coupon you can buy the 8ton air ram and make things quick and easy. that said i have an old old no name that someone gave to me
metal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
snorky18

i bought the pep boys one (Torin) OTD for ~$110 a few years back. Never had any problems out of it.
snorky18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
sberry

There are some differences in both tubing thickness and boom design. 110 is quite cheap, there was a thread on here about a design failure (I believe it was from Pep Boys) which wasn't the case with this orange one.
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
rsanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberry View Post
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=7620 My Bud has this one, very well made, flawless fit and it wasn't the Chinaman's first try with the MIG, first class welding.
I have this same one and have had it for years with no trouble

bob
Old 08-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #12
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=7029
Old 08-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #13
battmain

Look in your local Bargain Trader magazine. I picked mine up locally and it was brand new. It folds up, it is heavy and it is a RPITA to roll over the 1" garage lip . I've learned to pry it over the lip with a piece of pipe. Only issue I have with it is the jack doesn't stay up overnight. While working the fairly light engine tranny combo, it's fine. If I'm leaving the engine on it overnight, I use another piece of pipe to hold it up because I'm too lazy to dismount it and put it on the stand.

Last edited by battmain; 08-25-2009 at 02:55 AM.
battmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #14
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

Yea check out CL. There's ALWAYS some for sale on there....
Old 08-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #15
Stick Figure

I lucked into a "Ramco Shophand 5000" about 7 years ago, and this thing has been awesome. http://imagesb.backpage.com/centrali...JPG--large.jpg mine is in a bit better shape than that one, but i don't have pics of it, and its been recently repainted anyway. But i have used it to not only pull engines, and trans out of everything i've ever needed, but i've also used it to lift the rear of my MR2 to get them high enough to bring the engine out the bottom. I also heard my dad used it to load an unload is ridding lawn mower while it was stored at his house lol.

As for a load leveler, i've bought a couple harbor freight ones. I usually killed the first one w/ too much weight, and the fact that the stupid little handle annoys me, so i get rid of it and weld a nut to it so i can use an impact to level things in a hurry! Second one is lasting longer, but i'm not doing near the amount of motor swaps now that i once was.
Stick Figure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #16
travisd

One other important stat to look at is the maximum lifting height - the 1/2 ton one only seems to go to 77.25" max lift height, while the 1-Ton will go to 94" max (at 1/4 ton capacity. It's unclear also if max lift on the 1/2-ton is at 1/2-ton capacity, or something less . Longer the boom, the lower the capacity, but higher lift.
travisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #17
bobbyr

the last one i bought is a ac delco it cost me 25.00 more than the habor modle but has lasted me about 5 years now with out any cyl problems so the 25.00 was worth it to me
bobbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:57 AM   #18
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsanter View Post
I have this same one and have had it for years with no trouble

bob
I have the same hoist, it has treated be very well, I have used the hell out of it. Yes, I have done a few things with it I knew were beyond it's capacity that I should not have done and it still did very well!

With the pictured model I used a long frame old Walker 2T jack, under the rear end, and the hoist with a chain wrapped around the draw bar on an International 656 farm tractor that had calcium filled tires and succeeded in getting both rear wheels off of the ground for a while till the hook on the hoist failed with a loud bang. Yes very stupid, I know, and I knew it then, but for some reason I no longer recall it had to be done at the time. No, no one was hurt, and no, I did not re-rig and lift it again.
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #19
billspit

Check Caiglsist first.

I bought a new one from Tractor Supply and am happy with it. It is one of those that the legs will fold up and take up less space. I does the job. It was about $125 and should have included the leveler. It didn't and I got stuck for another $35 to get one.
billspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #20
krooser

I've seen a couple of those levelers come apart with engines hanging from them... you're better off buying a GOOD one than the run of the mill HF job...IMHO.
krooser is offline   Reply With Quote