Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2005, 10:19 PM   #1
chevy302dz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NE
Posts: 850
Default Herbrand Tools

Just curious if anyone knows anything about Herbrand Tools? They seem to be produced/ or were produced in both the US and Canada, but other than that I can't seem to find much info them.
chevy302dz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:54 PM   #2
toolcrazy
Tools Rule
 
toolcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14
Default

Herbrand tools are no longer around. Too bad, they are excellent tools. I have some of their swivel impacts in 3/8" and 1/2" drive, single and double swivel extensions, screwdrivers, files, 1/2 ratchet adapter for a breaker bar and etc. I haven't broken any yet. I think the majority of Herbrand tools were made in Canada and some in the US.
toolcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-08-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
eschoendorff
Director of Bands
 
eschoendorff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,625
Default

I have one of their old 1/2" beam-type torque wrenches. It reads 5 lbs +, but I take that into account when I use it. Didn't seem to be a noticably high quality tool (better or worse than any other beam-type torque wrench).
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
wythors
Red Foreman is my idol.
 
wythors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,086
Default

My father in law had a couple of really old (1940's) Herbrand tools in his box, a 1/4 ratchet and a couple of wrenches. The ratchet was stamped "Los Angeles, Calif". We sold them all on eBay and got pretty good money for them.
__________________
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten.
Click here for pictures of my garage!
Original GarageJunkies.net member #329
wythors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
wrenchr
Moderator
 
wrenchr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,794
Send a message via AIM to wrenchr
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

anyone from the detroit area? There is a pawn shop on Michigan ave, 1 block past tiger stadium, the old one, going north. They have a bunch of Herbrand 1/2 drive socket set's 3/8 set's and maybe 1/4, and also SK tool's. These have been there for years, and the herbrand stuff is cheap!! And no I'm in no way related or anything else with this place, just passing on some possible good deals for G/J member's!!
wrenchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:54 PM   #6
eschoendorff
Director of Bands
 
eschoendorff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,625
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

Wrenchr... where you at???? I am SW of Ann Arbor...
__________________
When you die, I want your tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:42 AM   #7
ImportTuner
Moderator
 
ImportTuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,512
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

I bought a 1/2" Herbrand ratchet adapter for use with my breaker bar off eBay and the first time I tried to use it to remove a wheel, it broke ...
ImportTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:49 AM   #8
Rickster
Senior Member
 
Rickster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SE MI
Posts: 4,529
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchr View Post
anyone from the detroit area? There is a pawn shop on Michigan ave, 1 block past tiger stadium, the old one, going north. They have a bunch of Herbrand 1/2 drive socket set's 3/8 set's and maybe 1/4, and also SK tool's. These have been there for years, and the herbrand stuff is cheap!! And no I'm in no way related or anything else with this place, just passing on some possible good deals for G/J member's!!
We sometime stop there at lunchtime. I've bought a few things there.
__________________
Rickster
Everything is for sale!


My eBay Sales and My eBay Feedback

Mustang Project

Ricksters Seller Feedback
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
wrenchr
Moderator
 
wrenchr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,794
Send a message via AIM to wrenchr
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschoendorff View Post
Wrenchr... where you at???? I am SW of Ann Arbor...
Taylor. Howdy!!
wrenchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:29 AM   #10
philw
Senior Member
 
philw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 724
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

Check out the Alloy artifacts website:
http://alloy-artifacts.home.comcast.net/

Herbrand was made in Fremont, Ohio until the early 60's? They were eventually combined with Bonney and moved to S.C. Herbrand was marketed as the lower priced line and Bonney as the pro line. The early Herbrand stuff from Ohio was marketed as a pro line for mechanics and was good quality stuff for the time.
Wythors either has a very rare Herbrand or he confused Plomb with Herbrand. Plomb tools were marked Los Angeles but Herbrand was never made there.
philw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #11
wrenchr
Moderator
 
wrenchr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,794
Send a message via AIM to wrenchr
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw View Post
Check out the Alloy artifacts website:
http://alloy-artifacts.home.comcast.net/

Herbrand was made in Fremont, Ohio until the early 60's? They were eventually combined with Bonney and moved to S.C. Herbrand was marketed as the lower priced line and Bonney as the pro line. The early Herbrand stuff from Ohio was marketed as a pro line for mechanics and was good quality stuff for the time.
Wythors either has a very rare Herbrand or he confused Plomb with Herbrand. Plomb tools were marked Los Angeles but Herbrand was never made there.
These are herbrand tool's, not sure if they are the pro one's or not though.
wrenchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:56 AM   #12
dxdexter
Senior Member
 
dxdexter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,923
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

I have a Herbrand catalog from 1984 and the combination wrenches look very similar to those of MAC, with the 4 sided open end. Is there any connection between the two companies? Where they bought out by Stanley?

They did have a hand tool manufacturing plant in Toronto, Canada,at one time, as did Snap-on and Proto. I have a few Herbrand tools and they seam to be very good quality. The chrome finish on my starter wrench (half moon) is as good or better than Snap-on.
__________________
Dex
I'm not young enough to know everything
.
dxdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
wrenchr
Moderator
 
wrenchr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,794
Send a message via AIM to wrenchr
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

Yah, I have seen some of the wrenches before they are nice.
Bonney has a real nice wrench as well, to bad these are not made anymore.
wrenchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #14
Uncle Buck
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 9,120
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw View Post
Check out the Alloy artifacts website:
http://alloy-artifacts.home.comcast.net/

Herbrand was made in Fremont, Ohio until the early 60's? They were eventually combined with Bonney and moved to S.C. Herbrand was marketed as the lower priced line and Bonney as the pro line. The early Herbrand stuff from Ohio was marketed as a pro line for mechanics and was good quality stuff for the time.
Wythors either has a very rare Herbrand or he confused Plomb with Herbrand. Plomb tools were marked Los Angeles but Herbrand was never made there.

If it escaped anyones notice, Phil included the link to alloy-artifacts, the last word on wrench history for all the brands that I am familiar with, which is most!
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #15
Uncle Buck
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 9,120
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdexter View Post
I have a Herbrand catalog from 1984 and the combination wrenches look very similar to those of MAC, with the 4 sided open end. Is there any connection between the two companies? Where they bought out by Stanley?

They did have a hand tool manufacturing plant in Toronto, Canada,at one time, as did Snap-on and Proto. I have a few Herbrand tools and they seam to be very good quality. The chrome finish on my starter wrench (half moon) is as good or better than Snap-on.
My first set of tools was a combination set of 1/4 & 3/8 Herbrand 1970's vintage. My dad gave them to to work on my bike. The set was absolute crap, many sockets broke under normal use, and finally the ratchet shot craps. I think what did Herbrand under was the undeniable slip in quality, much like Thorsen tools.

Due to the above reason I thought Herbrand were simply junk tools till I began finding old used stuff that had all the earmarks of quality tools, so regarding Herbrand I would offer these words of caution.

If it is not marked USA, or if you are not capable of telling the difference between new vs old tools, or you just do not know; leave Herbrand alone cause unlike Bonney, Herbrand's last years of tool offerings were no better, and possibly worse than today's Harbor Freight offering!

With all that said, I own a good many early USA Herbrand tools bought used of course. The early stuff is great stuff when you can find it.
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #16
dxdexter
Senior Member
 
dxdexter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,923
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholmberg View Post
If it is not marked USA, or if you are not capable of telling the difference between new vs old tools, or you just do not know; leave Herbrand alone cause unlike Bonney, Herbrand's last years of tool offerings were no better, and possibly worse than today's Harbor Freight offering!
I'm not sure why you are quoting me I made no comment on the overall quality of Herbrand only the couple of Herbrand tools I own, but that being said one bad experience as a child (presumably) should not condemn the entire line of tools. I'm still not sure how you could break a set of sockets working on a bicycle???

Good tools (Herbrand or not) do not have to be marked USA in order to be of quality, but I don't live there so I have no such prejudice towards non-US tools (I myself think Canadian tools are just as good or better).
__________________
Dex
I'm not young enough to know everything
.
dxdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:28 AM   #17
Uncle Buck
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 9,120
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdexter View Post
I'm not sure why you are quoting me I made no comment on the overall quality of Herbrand only the couple of Herbrand tools I own, but that being said one bad experience as a child (presumably) should not condemn the entire line of tools. I'm still not sure how you could break a set of sockets working on a bicycle???

Good tools (Herbrand or not) do not have to be marked USA in order to be of quality, but I don't live there so I have no such prejudice towards non-US tools (I myself think Canadian tools are just as good or better).

Bro, throttle er back a bit, If you read my post carefully, you will see I am not taking a jab at the brand, I own a few pieces of the old stuff myself. Second, my comment regarding made in USA is not meant to incense anyone regarding country of origin. Virtually all the old quality hand tools that 99% of those working with or own, or are familiar with at least in this county will say USA if you took that as a shot at Canada or any other country I assure you that was the furthest thing from my mind. I was trying to point to the fact that the quality of the tool line tanked in the last few years before they folded; no need to take that personally.

If I gave you the same shitty Herbrand socket set I had as a kid you would quickly figure out how to break many of the sockets in that set. It took no special effort, no cheating etc. In fact that was the gist of my post, their quality went to hell in the final years before they disappeared from the scene.

I was simply trying to share with others that not everything branded Herbrand is necessarily a quality tool score so be careful with those not marked USA as the older quality Herbrand tools were. I really did not think the post was that inflammatory, and certainly did not intend it to be!

One last thought, I really have no experience with Canadian tools so my thoughts had nothing to to with Canada or Canadian tools. As far as I know I have none, and have never used any, so I really have no opinion one way or the other of Canadian tools! PEACE DUDE!

Last edited by Uncle Buck; 08-19-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:18 AM   #18
dxdexter
Senior Member
 
dxdexter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,923
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholmberg View Post
Bro, throttle er back a bit, If you read my post carefully, you will see I am not taking a jab at the brand, I own a few pieces of the old stuff myself. Second, my comment regarding made in USA is not meant to incense anyone regarding country of origin. Virtually all the old quality hand tools that 99% of those working with or own, or are familiar with at least in this county will say USA if you took that as a shot at Canada or any other country I assure you that was the furthest thing from my mind. I was trying to point to the fact that the quality of the tool line tanked in the last few years before they folded; no need to take that personally.

If I gave you the same shitty Herbrand socket set I had as a kid you would quickly figure out how to break many of the sockets in that set. It took no special effort, no cheating etc. In fact that was the gist of my post, their quality went to hell in the final years before they disappeared from the scene.

I was simply trying to share with others that not everything branded Herbrand is necessarily a quality tool score so be careful with those not marked USA as the older quality Herbrand tools were. I really did not think the post was that inflammatory, and certainly did not intend it to be!

One last thought, I really have no experience with Canadian tools so my thoughts had nothing to to with Canada or Canadian tools. As far as I know I have none, and have never used any, so I really have no opinion one way or the other of Canadian tools! PEACE DUDE!
Sometimes its hard to detect the tone of written text, I was not suggesting what you said was right or wrong just wondering why you chose to counter my posting, in particular, with derogatory comments of Herbrand Tools.

Sometimes if products are made outside the USA they are not marked as to country of origin because the tend towards buying domestically (of which I agree ) may hurt their sales.The Herbrand tools not stamped USA are more than likely made in Canada (due to low exchange rates in the 80's) or elsewhere, but that does not preclude them from being of quality.

Anyway I think we beat this topic to death Lets please put this one to rest.

PEACE DUDE!!!!!
__________________
Dex
I'm not young enough to know everything
.
dxdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #19
philw
Senior Member
 
philw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 724
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

Canadian Herbrand is different from the U.S. stuff. The Canadian stuff I have seen is decent stuff. Like I stated before, the U.S. stuff from the late 60's, 70's and 80's were marketed as a less expensive line. Like hholmberg mentioned and I agree a good comparison would be along the lines of Thorsen.
Even the old stuff which was quality for the time and era it was made would probably compare with regular Craftsman now.
philw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #20
295th
Junior Member
 
295th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2
Default Re: Herbrand Tools

Photo of, I guess, Herband 3/8 Drive Flex Head Break Bar Extension Ratchet Socket.



Full shot:



Note: If I got the name of the tool wrong, please correct me. Thanks.

Last edited by 295th; 01-11-2014 at 11:05 PM.
295th is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.