Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
Vinko

Default Wurth air hose repair video

Don't think this has been posted here.

I'm thinking of trying this out (the couplers that is).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2vUad_la2A
Vinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
trackwelder

Default Re: Wurth air hose repair video

That looks great. Any idea what they cost and where to order them?
trackwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Nealcrenshaw

Thats what i needed before i bought my last air hose.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
ImportTuner

I have a leaky hose right now; let us know what you find out. Thanks
ImportTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
pearl_dude

that looks pretty cool.
pearl_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
billymade

I need those! I searched and haven't found any so far.... part #'s, costs, and sources for these?

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
Art From De Leon

A takeoff of the AeroQuip reusable fittings for hydralic and air lines. In fact I do not know why you could not use a #6 for 3/8" and a #8 for a 1/2" hose repair. The AeroQuip, or StatroFlex reusable ends should certainly be capable of handling pressure of less than 200 psi, since they are easily capable of working with hydralic pressures of @2500 psi.
Art From De Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Rusty Kustoms

Most any hardware store and most Napa stores can put new ends on for a couple bucks. Cool system but the last time I had one repaired it was only $3, I would rather have a correct end for less money.
Rusty Kustoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #9
-B-

A handy product to have around for a large shop.
-B- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
billymade

Ahh! Looks like I found 'em; you can purchase them diirect! (click "next" twice and they are the two items on the top)
https://shoponline.wurthusa.com/wurt...23515/catalog/
Kinda strange... they don't list part #'s; I guess I need to register to order, will update with what I find out!
UPDATE: "This site is for established WURTH USA commercial accounts only"

"
Welcome to the Wurth Shop USA

Dear colleagues,

Please click on the link below to access the Wurth Shop. This site is only available for our sales force. If you are a customer and are interested in our products please contact our customer service under
1-800-WURTH-USA(1-800-987-8487)."

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!

Last edited by billymade; 08-29-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Vinko

I'll try to log on from work and check prices. My understanding is that some (all?) of the couplers are rebranded. I'm wondering what the quality is like. If I can, I'll order just one of each to try.

I agree with above that it's worth having a set up like this. It can save time, and given that there's only so many hours in the day, last thing I want to do is take it to NAPA to have it fixed.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:33 AM   #12
Vinko

@Billymade. If you're interested, I established an on-line account to check prices. I understand that, on products in general, reps are able to offer better pricing or specials or break up a case in some instances, so you don't have to meet certain minimums.

I'd be willing to look up anything your curious about. I notice that the German-made tool cabinet/cart is about $700-$800. It looks nice enough.

I haven't checked out all prices but some of their "material removal" stuff (grinding discs, flap wheels, bits, etc) is I bet, more expensive than MSC or McMaster.

I wonder if the couplers are American/German or whatever. I'm going to try some out when I place an order and report back
Old 09-19-2009, 03:42 AM   #13
nissan_crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art From De Leon View Post
A takeoff of the AeroQuip reusable fittings for hydralic and air lines. In fact I do not know why you could not use a #6 for 3/8" and a #8 for a 1/2" hose repair. The AeroQuip, or StatroFlex reusable ends should certainly be capable of handling pressure of less than 200 psi, since they are easily capable of working with hydralic pressures of @2500 psi.
You can, I have #4 fittings on a 1/4" hose.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:11 AM   #14
Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinko View Post

I wonder if the couplers are American/German or whatever. I'm going to try some out when I place an order and report back
this one should be from Oetiker: click

this one looks like it`s from Prevost: click

this one from CEJN click
Monte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
billymade

Hey, I just had the ends on our hoses redone @ our local hydraulics shop but I still think these Wurth ends looked like a better solution; they could be reused and just cut the end of the hose off.... reconnect the repair couplers... once again! I would be interested in knowing how much the repair ends cost.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #16
Charles (in GA)

These fittings are manufactured by the John Henry Foster Co of Springfield, MO, every else is simply reselling them. We use the exact type at work, except that, rather than a male pipe thread on the end, we have the ones with air couplings manufactured right on them, or male air nipples.

Go to this link and scroll down to about middle page, where it says "Reusable Hose Clamp". These are standard industrial interchange nipples and couplers with the brass ferrule and screw into the hose. they are either 1/4 or 3/8 ID and the second number, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8 etc is the OD of the hose (its got to be a rubber hose as the brass ferrule screws into the rubber jacket with a left hand thread to hold it on.

At work we use the SB-3-3 coupler and matching nipple for most work, for the 3/8 hose we use the SD7-3 and matching nipple.

http://www.jhf.com/Catalog08/0462.pdf

On this next page, are the hose ends like shown in the video, with pipe thread on the ends of them, also they have one with a build in free swivel to allow you to hard plumb to a device (such as making a whip hose for a rivet gun) and allows the hose to swivel.

http://www.jhf.com/Catalog08/0486.pdf

Here is the index page to most of the couplings, etc.

http://www.jhf.com/Catalog08/0458.pdf

Here is the index to the entire catalog.

http://www.jhf.com/Catalog08/INDEX.pdf

You will find arrows at the bottom of each page, and the page numbers are links also.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:46 AM   #17
Vinko

Found the Wurth prices for the hardware, though
it looks like others found the OEM

Ferrule

1699020002 5/8 OD to 3/8 ID $5.69

and

stem is:

1699021001 3/8 ID to 1/4 MPT $5.60
1699021002 1/2 ID to 1/4 MPT $9.40
Old 10-22-2009, 05:07 AM   #18
Vinko

Wurth tool cart, made in Germany, for about $800:

Old 10-22-2009, 05:54 AM   #19
fordcragar

I've been repairing my air hoses for a number of years, but I use the crimped ends. I've used the process that was shown in the video, but they seem to come apart a few times on me. Just didn't like them. The crimped style works really well and is easy; cut the hose, slide on sleeve over end of hose, push in barbed end of fitting into hose end and crimp. The crimper is very simple, it looks like a split block with a hole in it; held together with tongs. You slide this over the crimp sleeve and put the assy into the vise and close the vise; that is all there is, you get a nice tight crip. You can usually reuse the barbed inside piece, and replace the crimped sleeve; they are about $0.60. I think that the crimper cost me about $20, maybe 10 years ago. Most good welding stores or well stocked hardware stores should have the pieces, but I'd call around first. If anyone is interested, I'll try to get the mfg info.

I like the crimped style so much that I've been trying to locate the sleeve and might make my own crimper to do water hoses; it doesn't seem like you can ever find a good water hose repair part.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #20
Vinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordcragar View Post
I've been repairing my air hoses for a number of years, but I use the crimped ends. I've used the process that was shown in the video, but they seem to come apart a few times on me. Just didn't like them. The crimped style works really well and is easy; cut the hose, slide on sleeve over end of hose, push in barbed end of fitting into hose end and crimp. The crimper is very simple, it looks like a split block with a hole in it; held together with tongs. You slide this over the crimp sleeve and put the assy into the vise and close the vise; that is all there is, you get a nice tight crip. You can usually reuse the barbed inside piece, and replace the crimped sleeve; they are about $0.60. I think that the crimper cost me about $20, maybe 10 years ago. Most good welding stores or well stocked hardware stores should have the pieces, but I'd call around first. If anyone is interested, I'll try to get the mfg info.

I like the crimped style so much that I've been trying to locate the sleeve and might make my own crimper to do water hoses; it doesn't seem like you can ever find a good water hose repair part.
What was the brand of crimped hose fittings you used? The problem with the Wurth/Foster seems to be (as pointed in another post above) that you can only use it on rubber hoses.

I don't mind switching the few hoses I have remaining in synthetics to rubber.

Though I saw that hose that CJEN makes (resells? I don't know) and am checking prices on that.