Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
r1r199

Default Electric Baseboard heaters needs for 22X26 garage

How much electric baseboards do i need for my new garage
I have (2) 3X5 windows
1 regular 36" door
(1) overhead garage door 12x7 R-16
walls R-20
roof R-31
size of garage is 22x26 with 9 foot walls and vaulted ceilings up to 12 feet
want to heat all winter at 16-17C
thanks
r1r199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
mkat1951

Default Re: Electric Baseboard heaters needs for 22X26 garage

When figuring this out accurately it's also helpful to know which direction your doors and windows are facing, North, south, east, or west. I do heating and cooling for a living so I might be able to help. This might also help to. My shop is roughly the same size and construction, except no windows, and I have three baseboards. If they were all on at the same time it would cook you right out. I usually have two on. I live in Canada also, and where I live we range in temp. anywhere from zero to minus 25 in the winter.
mkat1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Brad1234

1000 watts / 100 sq ft. I would round up if necessary since it's a garage.
Brad1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 AM   #4
r1r199

thanks guys,
I have quite alot of trees in my yard so sunlight doesn't really reach the windows
Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #5
r1r199

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat1951 View Post
When figuring this out accurately it's also helpful to know which direction your doors and windows are facing, North, south, east, or west. I do heating and cooling for a living so I might be able to help. This might also help to. My shop is roughly the same size and construction, except no windows, and I have three baseboards. If they were all on at the same time it would cook you right out. I usually have two on. I live in Canada also, and where I live we range in temp. anywhere from zero to minus 25 in the winter.
Are these 1500W each?
Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #6
r1r199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1234 View Post
1000 watts / 100 sq ft. I would round up if necessary since it's a garage.
Is this valid In Canadian weather!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
mjn

How much in elec costs would Baseboard be like compared to Gas. Would always think be too much.
mjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Phuckin' Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1r199 View Post
Is this valid In Canadian weather!!!
What part of Canada are you in?

Saskatoon,SK and Victoria, BC would have very different needs.

Just north of Winnipeg, in my 24x24 garage w/10 ft. walls, I'll be installing 2 2500 watt baseboard heaters. I'll keep you posted on how well this works for a Manitoba winter.
Phuckin' Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
Mark-in-NH

You would need a bare minimum of 22.88' of electric baseboard heat.
Electric baseboard heat is 250 watts per foot. you need a bare minimum of 5720 watts of heat
The equation as I learned it years ago from my father (master electriction) when he would calculate the required baseboard for a job, is as follows.
Take the room in question (your garage) 22x26 = 572 x 10 = 5720 divided by 250 = 22.88 This is based on a normal 8' ceiling.
Now factoring in your high ceiling I would probably want to increase the footage of heat by 30% +/- or another 6' - 8' of baseboard
Also if it helps. You can run 16' of electric baseboard heat on a 20 amp breaker, 220 volt circut. 16' of heat = 4000 watts

So, roughly 30' of baseboard heat and 2- 20 amp / 220 volt circuts
Mark-in-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
katit

I'm having same dilemma especially that we just got ad on craigslist:

brand new Emerson baseboard heaters for sale. These are to be hard wired not the plug in type! 240 volt 940 watts 3208 btu. $ 35 each

I'm in a process of "electryfying" garage and wondered if it makes sense to install those. I was planning on mini-split but imagine that baseboards will work better.

I have 21x21 garage. Do I need more then 3 of those baseboards? How is electricity use, does it make sense to install them? I know electricity is cheap in STL in a winter, like 4c so it makes sense to use it over gas.

Are they safe? Ideally I would keep one on all the time because we enter house via garage. And garage will be insulated.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #11
jvitez

Where in Canada are you? Fill out your sig please. I really helps us help you.

In my previous house, 22 x 24 ft attached garage, R12 walls and R40 ceiling, insulated steel garage door, a 4800 W construction heater would heat it up as warm as I wanted it, but it did take a while at -20C or colder. That was for intermittent heating. I only turned in on to thaw the cars or if I was doing a project. That works out to 9 W per sq. ft. 10 W/ft2 is the rule of thumb used successfully for years in colder climates for residential construction. Again, you might want a bit more to have faster recovery after the garage door is opened.

One thought is 10 W/ft2 of baseboard heat, and add a couple of cheap fan forced 1500W electric heaters if you have enough circuit capacity. Keep the thermostat settings low enough that they don't come on when your garage is at the temp you want. This way after you cool off the garage from opening a door, the baseboard heaters will turn on, but convection heat takes a while to recover. The fan forced heat will circulate warm air faster, so more comfort. No extra operating cost either, as the baseboards will just shut off faster once the design temp is reached.

The answer: "All of it."
jvitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
Phuckin' Jim

Well, now that we've been through part of a winter, I can honestly say I'm satisfied with the way the 2 10 foot 2500 watt baseboard heaters heat the garage. I have to plan a couple of hrs. ahead if I want it warm enough to work in.
I usually leave the heat off unless I plan to work in there.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
Teken

Would you mind taking a temp reading for me? I wouldnt mind seeing how hot it gets in there with our winters being as they are. Glad you followed up with this thread, as I was eyeing it for sometime.

Regards

EVIL Teken . . .

Quote:
GRX: Judging from past experiences my guess would be Racoons. They can easily jump onto the lid if the can is too heavy to knock over. Either that or Man-Bear-Pig.
Teken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
Phuckin' Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teken View Post
Would you mind taking a temp reading for me? I wouldnt mind seeing how hot it gets in there with our winters being as they are. .
No prob.
The warmest I've had it so far was 17 C, but I'm sure it would have gotten warmer had I left the thermostats turned up. Mind you, it was only -25C that day, so it wasn't that cold.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #15
Teken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuckin' Jim View Post
No prob.
The warmest I've had it so far was 17 C, but I'm sure it would have gotten warmer had I left the thermostats turned up. Mind you, it was only -25C that day, so it wasn't that cold.
LMFAO !!! It's it too funny that when its only -25'C here we equate that it's not that cold?? Do you recall last year when we had three weeks of -56'C with the wind chill?

That was a day to just keep your aszz at home, too bad I didn't, had to be in the field working like dumb SOB . .

Thanks for taking the temps for me, much appreciated. This will give me some reference if and when I ever get this garage down.

Regards

EVIL Teken . . .

Quote:
GRX: Judging from past experiences my guess would be Racoons. They can easily jump onto the lid if the can is too heavy to knock over. Either that or Man-Bear-Pig.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #16
Charles (in GA)

Problem with baseboard heaters (and I had them in one house I owned) is that you have to keep the wall space clear. In a garage you want workbenches, etc on the walls. They just don't look to me like they would be real practical for a garage.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #17
Teken

I know, that is the problem I am wrestling with. I might bite the bullet when finances are better to go all the way and pay someone to plumb in a NG line and install one of those over head units.

I have lived part of my life with *that's good enough* for some random things. In this latter stage of my life *good enough* ins't cutting it.

So, more than likely I will *do it once, and properly* then to waste my time, energy, and hard earned dollars.

Many thanks for your follow up & insight.

Quote:
Old 02-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #18
mpraddict

I belive NEC requires outlets in the garage to be at least 24" above finished floor. I don't know code on baseboard heaters in a garage, but something just doesn't sound right about it.

my garage build
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7600
mpraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #19
Charles (in GA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpraddict View Post
I belive NEC requires outlets in the garage to be at least 24" above finished floor. I don't know code on baseboard heaters in a garage, but something just doesn't sound right about it.
That I know of, NEC does not have any such requirement for receptacle height. Possibly special restrictions for certain types of Hazardous locations but then only up to 18 inches above the floor in most cases. Common sense however dictates that things with thermostats, like baseboard heaters, that have the possibility of sparking internally and could ignite gasoline fumes, MIGHT not be a good idea if placed within 18 inches of the floor.

You can get stupid with this however, things like my fridge have a defrost timer down in the bottom of it, this timer has electrical contacts that most likely spark when it cycles, so I guess I should elevate my fridge above 18 inches. Then there is the thermostat for my 2 gal under counter water heater, and on it goes. Of course this is why the fire marshal requires that we use twist lock electrical connectors at work on extension cords, flo lights, etc, to prevent sparking from accidental disconnects with cords laying on the floor. (commercial aircraft hangar, Class I, Division 2 up to 18 inches off the floor and surrounding all wings and powerplants).

Charles
Charles (in GA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #20
Phuckin' Jim

A few more numbers:
Last night I switched the heat on @ 6:45 Temp was -2C in the garage and -14C outside.
At 7:45, I went in there to start working, and the temp was 7C
At 8:15 the temp was 11C. At that point I was just about done the tire rotate, brake & front end inspection, so I shut the heat off again.
At about 6:30 this morning, the thermometers read -2 again.
The overnight low last night was -16C. It's nice to have this warm weather.

As far as mounting the baseboards a certain minimum distance from the floor, I mounted them ~ 8" from the floor, and they passed electrical inspection.