Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
sharage71

Default OSB / Waterproof ?

Guys,

I want to work ahead and start adding the OSB to the exterior walls before I start building the roof. The roof build is about a month or so out. I know it will rain another 5 or 6 times before I build the roof. How waterproof / resistant will the OSB be? I have heard both ways. The only consistency I get is if the end is cut you must seal it someway. Has anyone Thompson Water Sealed each sheet before hanging? I want to continue working on it.
Anybody got .02 to share?

Holler back
sharage71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
scottybaccus

Default Re: OSB / Waterproof ?

Not at all. Left wet, it will wick moisture into the fibers and swell, then delaminate. Left in the weather, it begins to look exactly like what it is, A bunch of wood chips glued together.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
sharage71

thanks scotty
Old 09-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
slicktoptt

Scotty's post is not entirely accurate. If the ends of the boards sit in puddles, yes you will get some wicking. Other than that, osb that has been hung will actually stand up fairly well to rain if exposed. How do I know this... I built a house in the summer in Florida. It rains a little almost every afternoon at some point.

Plus I have had a scrap osb sheet acting as floor on my expanded metal utility trailer for almost a year and it is still fairly solid...nothing like mdf or particle board would be by now.

If you want to do the walls I'd say do it and wrap the house in tyvek or whatever brand moisture barrier you have available. Or paint any ends you cut. Should last plenty long enough to get the roof on.
slicktoptt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Northstar9126

Nailed to walls, where it can shed water, OSB can last quite a while exposed to the weather.
Northstar9126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
sharage71

Thanks Gentlemen
Old 09-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
Gary S

When I built my garage, my building inspector told me that I needed to get the OSB covered in a few months or it would start to deteriorate. A little water isn't going to hurt it, but don't leave it unprotected for a year.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Kevin54

OSB will last for months exposed to the weather. I have seen sheds that are quite a few years old built out of OSB, never painted and still standing. Contractors will start houses and leave it exposed for a few months. It may swell a little, but as far as starting to deteriorate, it will take a few months before that even starts to happen
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
tcianci

Send a message via AIM to tcianci

Yeah, the OSB will take the weather OK for a few months. I would not wrap it with ANYTHING! If it gets wet, it will get dry. If you wrap it, it's still gonna get wet somewhere and not dry out nearly as fast. When you do apply your siding you can use felt or a housewrap...check my other posts, I have had WAY TOO MANY incedents where I have opened up buildings wit the TYVEK brand of housewrap and found nothing but a rotted mess behind it. Reson...check the product characteristics, it lets water vapor pass through. A really dumb idea and a lousy product. IMHO, I would just apply good old roofing felt and rest assured that if you ever open it up, it will look just like the day you framed it.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
TheShrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktoptt View Post
Scotty's post is not entirely accurate. If the ends of the boards sit in puddles, yes you will get some wicking. Other than that, osb that has been hung will actually stand up fairly well to rain if exposed. How do I know this... I built a house in the summer in Florida. It rains a little almost every afternoon at some point.

Plus I have had a scrap osb sheet acting as floor on my expanded metal utility trailer for almost a year and it is still fairly solid...nothing like mdf or particle board would be by now.

If you want to do the walls I'd say do it and wrap the house in tyvek or whatever brand moisture barrier you have available. Or paint any ends you cut. Should last plenty long enough to get the roof on.
I agree! OSB isn't meant to be exposed but it's tough stuff. I left OSB exposed for over 2 years in Houston, much rain and high humidity, and it discolored a little but it never swelled, buckled or deteriorate in any way. With that being said, there are different "qualities" of the stuff and that should be taken into consideration. I wrapped my garage inside and out with the stuff and it's like Fort KnoxX!

TheShrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
dolfans

I am replacing part of a outside wall and wanted to know this. The bottom is block and the top is wood. When I bought the wood the guy said it would last about a yr and someone else said it will last a long time. I put primer on it all over,both sides and all 4 corners.
dolfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #12
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

It'll be alright, don't sweat it. When I built the new garage on the house, I built it one summer, put the porch on the house the next summer and sided the house the following summer. It turned a slight gray in a couple of places but it was fine. That included 2 winters and spring rains as well.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #13
FunfDreisig

In case it is not obvious, you need to shear panel the walls BEFORE you add the trusses/rafters for the roof. So, like it or not, you will have to install the OSB before you add the roof. So the real question is how to best protect the OSB (or any other shear panel material) from water damage during this time.

FWIW I wrapped the walls for my 3 bay garage with TYVEK and made sure it covered the top plate. We had a couple of light rains before I got the rafters & roof deck installed. It worked out well. Despite comments to the contrary, TYVEK repels/sheds rain pretty well for several months. So does felt paper. But both degrade with exposure to sun and water. So don't wait too long to get that garage dried in

Funf Dreisig

Last edited by FunfDreisig; 09-22-2009 at 10:01 PM.
FunfDreisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #14
BooUrns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcianci View Post
Yeah, the OSB will take the weather OK for a few months. I would not wrap it with ANYTHING! If it gets wet, it will get dry. If you wrap it, it's still gonna get wet somewhere and not dry out nearly as fast. When you do apply your siding you can use felt or a housewrap...check my other posts, I have had WAY TOO MANY incedents where I have opened up buildings wit the TYVEK brand of housewrap and found nothing but a rotted mess behind it. Reson...check the product characteristics, it lets water vapor pass through. A really dumb idea and a lousy product. IMHO, I would just apply good old roofing felt and rest assured that if you ever open it up, it will look just like the day you framed it.
I've seen you pushing this opinion a lot on here and I respectfully have to disagree. Tyvek is a far superior product to roofing felt in a vertical (wall assembly) application. If you are opening up walls and finding moisture problems I suspect there is another issue causing the problem and you have assumed it is the fault of the tyvek. Tyvek is a housewrap, it repels water while allowing the water vapour in the wall cavity to equalize with the outside air. If condensation in the wall is becoming an issue it is likely that the Tyvek hasn't been installed correctly or there is a problem with the insulation and/or vapour barrier on the warm side of the insulation. Perhaps the vapour barrier is incorrectly installed or some part of the exterior surfacing is acting as a second vapour barrier
BooUrns! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
ddawg16

I built my garage during the rainy season...(yes, LA does get rain...and most of it in 2 moths....the same two months I was doing the framing...)

To reduce the potential damage I would put tarps over everything....Harbor Frieght loved me for that.....It didn't keep it totally dry but at most it got damp....and dried quickly.

"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

In Progress...2-Story Addition link
2-Story Garage Complete My Garage Build Link
Home for.....
84 CJ7 - With a 'few' modifications.. My Jeep Build Link
And my wife's art Studio...
and 3 kids with more energy than we have...
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #16
tcianci

Send a message via AIM to tcianci

It is not an opinion. Why is it not possible for a product to be introduced only to find out long term that it has unintended consequences? I'm sure that you are not on the payroll at DuPont and I'm not on the payroll of the felt manufacturers. Please continue to explain away the problems with Tyvek but before you do, tell me in real numbers how many buildings you have PERSONALLY opened up and tell me what type of wrap was used and then tell me the condition of the framewall underneath. The stuff allows water vapor through....they tell you that in the list of the product characteristics. It is pretty good for rain and excellent for wind resistance which is important for a building during construction. Water VAPOR on the other hand is exactly what condenses behind the Tyvek and since once it condenses it ain't vapor any more and can't get through the Tyvek. Everyone seems to have this tidy little model of how a wall is built, and where the sources of moisture are in a wall assembly. A typical framewall with a coat of paint on the interior and a vapor (or as you guys say up north VAPOUR) barrier on the insulation has just about a zero chance of interior moisture getting to the sheathing. And if the source of moisture were from the interior as everyone seems to suppose, the insulation and the paper vapor barrier would have been soaked and destroyed long before the sheathing quits. My obersvation is that the source of the moisture is from the exterior. I have been doing this stuff for over 40 years and the only thing for certain is that it is a garanteed crap shoot. So, staple with wild abandon fellas, it will bite you in the backside someday.

Last edited by tcianci; 09-23-2009 at 09:35 PM.
tcianci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:50 AM   #17
walrus

Quote:
A typical framewall with a coat of paint on the interior and a vapor (or as you guys say up north VAPOUR) barrier on the insulation has just about a zero chance of interior moisture getting to the sheathing..
So electric outlets, switches etc are sealed tight by a coat of paint? Warm moist air on the inside of a building gets into walls, condenses as it moves to the colder sheathing and boom you have rot. I've never seen a vapor barrier that really works unless it was closed cell foam
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #18
checkthisout

Quote:
It is not an opinion. Why is it not possible for a product to be introduced only to find out long term that it has unintended consequences? I'm sure that you are not on the payroll at DuPont and I'm not on the payroll of the felt manufacturers. Please continue to explain away the problems with Tyvek but before you do, tell me in real numbers how many buildings you have PERSONALLY opened up and tell me what type of wrap was used and then tell me the condition of the framewall underneath. The stuff allows water vapor through....they tell you that in the list of the product characteristics. It is pretty good for rain and excellent for wind resistance which is important for a building during construction. Water VAPOR on the other hand is exactly what condenses behind the Tyvek and since once it condenses it ain't vapor any more and can't get through the Tyvek. Everyone seems to have this tidy little model of how a wall is built, and where the sources of moisture are in a wall assembly. A typical framewall with a coat of paint on the interior and a vapor (or as you guys say up north VAPOUR) barrier on the insulation has just about a zero chance of interior moisture getting to the sheathing. And if the source of moisture were from the interior as everyone seems to suppose, the insulation and the paper vapor barrier would have been soaked and destroyed long before the sheathing quits. My obersvation is that the source of the moisture is from the exterior. I have been doing this stuff for over 40 years and the only thing for certain is that it is a garanteed crap shoot. So, staple with wild abandon fellas, it will bite you in the backside someday.
The contractor that I hired to set my posts said the exact same thing. He said that during a good storm, rain is easily driven behind Tyvek.

He reccomended good old tarpaper as the tried and true and cheaper alternative to housewrap.

And to the original poster, once installed the OSB will shrink and swell but it will all do it evenly. If you let it sit on the ground in a pile and get rained on, you will get edge swelling etc..... that makes it harder to accurately install.
checkthisout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #19
walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkthisout View Post
The contractor that I hired to set my posts said the exact same thing. He said that during a good storm, rain is easily driven behind Tyvek.

I had some tyvek that was laying on the ground, crumbled up. It rained, a few days later I went over to pick it up, it was full o water, how does it hold water for a few days yet rain blows right through it?
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #20
Heiny57

Quote:
What part of the country do you find these failures?
Heiny57 is offline   Reply With Quote