Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
mustangmccance

Default the bionic doghouse

I have been in the process of building a place to house my "toys" for 8 years now. I built a 24 x 30 foot shop in nebraska then moved to utah, after five years I built a 40 x 42 foot steel building. did all the work myself on these 2 (with a lot of help from my friends of course) then right after I finished that building I had to move again. I hope that this is the last time I ever move but anyway I have been working on my new shop this time since I injured myself slightly on the last one my wife convinced me to have the shop assembled by a pro. It went up so fast that I am very glad I had them do it. now I have just been working on finishing the inside.

here is a picture of my shop. I call it the bionic dawghause. it is 60 by 40 inside I have a 44x40 main shop then I have a 16x20 foot separate woodworking shop that I can close off and keep the sawdust off my cars. I will have a small bathroom area and a 10x 16 ft area just for my dogs. I have a 10 x 10 foot wood deck off the back of the shop, inside there is a small fridge and microwave. I have a pretty good collection of hand tools, 2 air compressors one 60 and one 80 gallon with a selection of 3/8, 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch sockets drills and since my dad retired and moved out to iowa he has added all of his tools to the shop so I am feeling pretty good about things now.

it is still in the construction phase but it is coming along. the outside is done but the inside is still being worked on. as you can see the term dawghause has two meanings. it is a house for my dogs and a place I can go when I am in trouble with the wife. it is bionic because I keep building it better than it was before.

this was my tentative floor plan.

after it arrived.

Last edited by mustangmccance; 03-13-2014 at 09:43 PM.
mustangmccance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
thomask

Thumbs up Re: the bionic doghouse

Nice shop, I mean doghouse.

You really made great use of pegboard.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
mustangmccance

Default Re: the bionic doghouse

yes I like pegboard. I like to be able to hang stuff out of the way and keep it organized. and the white stuff saves time in painting and finishing. I am starting to build some cupboards and storage to clean up that one corner where all my steel shelves were. they were bought at a garage sale for cheap when I first built the shop and had no storage so everything just got piled up on them. finally that corner is going to be organized.

this is what I am starting with, actually it looks a whole lot worse than that now, but it will look better soon with any luck. I am no cabinet maker so my joinery is going to be quick and easy. just going to make them out of plywood so hopefully my plan will work.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
mustangmccance

I am beginning to realize that a very important plus for my garage I have not included in the description.

when we moved into this house it had a small two car attached garage. this is now my wife and my sons garage. they park there cars in that garage. the property was 3 acres so lots of land and on it were these 2 sheds. I stored all my stuff in them and in my 22 foot haulmark trailer until I built the doghouse. now these sheds store my camping gear, the lawnmowers and garden tools, my 2 four wheelers, and the leanto out back stores the lawnwagon and snow blade. I also do some of my real dirty work out in the white shed, when they ran my electric I had them run a line into the white shed at the same time since it went right by it. so now I have lights out there two. when I stripped down my 9 inch differential I did it in the white shed so I did not have to worry about getting that crap all over my shop. so these two sheds although in all the previous pictures of the shop I tried real hard not to show them I am now beginning to give them the credit they deserve thanks to reading all the posts on this site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00006-20091004-1034.jpg (138.9 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg get-attachment-1.aspx.jpg (126.7 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg get-attachment.aspx.jpg (142.8 KB, 373 views)
Old 10-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
82_454_shorty

I like the name!
82_454_shorty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
mustangmccance

here are the updated pics of the ugly corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g3 021.jpg (138.2 KB, 1698 views)
File Type: jpg g3 022.jpg (140.3 KB, 1344 views)
File Type: jpg vacation 020.jpg (139.7 KB, 1498 views)

"if it's not broke I haven't fixed it yet"

Welcome to the Doghouse!: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=44061

Last edited by mustangmccance; 10-27-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
mustangmccance

here is a new pic of the ugly corner after putting up the pegboard behind my tool boxes.

now on to the area behind my engine building workbench and my "lounge area"

Last edited by mustangmccance; 11-09-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
ratz

I like the way the lines on the toolboxes, line up with the workbench/cabinets. It looks clean.
ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
mustangmccance

I started re doing the break area part now. my dad is kind of disabled and he gets tired pretty quickly nowadays so this is an important part of my shop. besides the shop is where I hang out most of the time now anyway. so It was looking pretty shabby and it was time to get to work on it since I leaned back on my stool the other day and tore the vapor barrier a bit. so I patched that and decided to get to work on this corner. here are some before and after pics.

I never really cared what the shop looked like before I found this site now I am starting to paint things, and worry about whether this will look good or not. omg I am turning into a garagaholic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0505.jpg (138.3 KB, 692 views)
File Type: jpg lounge.jpg (142.5 KB, 853 views)

Last edited by mustangmccance; 11-22-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
mustangmccance

now I have to get me some of those nice chairs I saw in my craftsman tool catalog the other day. but that new camp chair of mine is awfully comfortable. oh well sacrifices must be made in pursuit of garage improvement.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #11
mustangmccance

I moved my dad into a new apartment a little closer to my house. he was living in the next town over but we found a place for him closer. This place is a little smaller so he didn't need my big desktop computer that I had let him use, so being the addicted garageaholic and computer geek I am I decided to hook it up out here. so I found that with my laptop I could just barely detect my wireless network from the house. (I am about 100 yards from the house and inside a steel building) so I bought a wireless range expander and hooked it up and now I have great wireless reception anywhere in my shop. in fact it is better reception in here than it is in my house lol. anyway now I am really needing those new chairs. I hinted to the wife that they would make a great christmas present, even left the catalog open to the right page for a couple days. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if Santa is good to me this year.

Last edited by mustangmccance; 12-06-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
mustangmccance

well I guess I was a good boy this year I got the chair I wanted.
http://s972.photobucket.com/albums/a...rent=chair.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chair.jpg (143.8 KB, 289 views)

Last edited by mustangmccance; 02-08-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
mustangmccance

I also got a set of nice bose speakers off ebay and hooked them up to my computer so now I have pretty decent sound and I can watch movies or listen to music or audiobooks and with the amplifier and subwoofer setup that I bought when I got the system it is loud enough I can hear it pretty well.

also when I plumbed my airlines I ran a line to my bench so I have the little coiled air hose that I can use to blow off the bench or run air tools. very handy.http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/computer.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg computer.jpg (131.3 KB, 548 views)
File Type: jpg workbench.jpg (135.5 KB, 358 views)

Old 02-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #14
zkslawn

any pictures of the fords?? especially the mustangs
zkslawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
mustangmccance

yes I do. if you check my profile I have several loaded but here are some of my 65

I also have a 67 that is currently in the body shop, it has been completely stripped to bare metal and I will pick it up in june, and start rebuilding it.

my dad has his 95 supercharged mustang and his 89 convertible mustang in my shop too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00169.JPG (130.4 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpg mdmp_0811_01_z+1965_mustang_coupe+front_angle.jpg (115.2 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg mdmp_0811_07_z+1965_mustang_coupe+steering_wheel.jpg (80.7 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg mdmp_0811_06_z+1965_mustang_coupe+interior.jpg (83.9 KB, 353 views)

Old 02-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #16
Cool75280Z

Nice. Any pics of how the dog kennel and run turned out? I am thinking about putting one into my design.
Cool75280Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #17
mustangmccance

yes. you have to understand a few things though. first we bought this house because of the land it sits on. we have just under 3 acres of land with nice trees. we moved in the winter so we had a guy build a 30 x 30 dog kennel with 6 foot high chain link fence. so we could have a place for them when we got here. but since there was no dog house or place where they could get warm they had to sleep in our attached garage. so that was one of the main selling points of my shop to the wife. get the dogs out of "her" garage. so anyway here are some of the pictures.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...host=community

I have now added a doggy door to this door so the dogs can go in and out when they want.

this is the "dog run. it is 30 feet wide and runs the length of our property about a hundred yards or so. when the plumper trenched the line for my water supply I had him trench a line for my fence so the fence is buried about a foot deep. the chainlink area is still back there and it sits in concrete so my dogs stay where they are supposed to be. the kennel is just a 10 x 16 foot room with a feeder and a raised sleeping pallet I made with a 4x8 sheet of plywood and 2x4 it gets them up off the concrete and I let my kids paint pictures on the walls. they had a good time. I don't have any pictures of it though.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #18
TurboMustang370

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmccance View Post
Looks GREAT!
Are the Ford logos painted on or stickers? I've been searching for a big blue oval and a big harley davidson iron cross, big like 3'x5'
TurboMustang370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #19
mustangmccance

those are decals. I just googled ford decals and found them. they did not stay too well so I superglued them on and now they are staying just fine.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #20
TurboMustang370

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmccance View Post
those are decals. I just googled ford decals and found them. they did not stay too well so I superglued them on and now they are staying just fine.
thanks for the info. they look awesome.
TurboMustang370 is offline   Reply With Quote