Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
thammel

Default Typical drywall labor cost?

I think contractors here are not hungry. I've got an 8' x 19' mudroom I want drywalled. I've gottne 2 estimates for around $2k. This sounds like too much. This may total to 30 sheets of drywall. These guys are asking something like $50/sheet for the labor. They're nuts. Any comments on this?

Tom
thammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
drmarkr

Default Re: Typical drywall labor cost?

What finish?? Hock & trowel would be $1.25-.50/sq ft around here.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=12631

"Molon Labe!"

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
drmarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
GeorgiaHybrid

We just finished the MIL's house. About 1,700 to 1,800 sq ft for $3,100. They furnished the sheetrock (3/8 going over existing plaster), hung and finished it for that price. You are getting ripped, for that price they should at least offer a reach around...
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
kwb

Small jobs end up with higher costs per sq ft than bigger ones. Setup/material gathering costs get spread across fewer feet. Still the same work to order 30 or 300 sheets, same transit time to job that may not fill a whole day, same work to pay the invoices on materials, and the small job is typically going to have more edges/corners that require more labor than doing a big job. Depending on what sort of access to the room and risk of damage to existing house also will play into costing - If board comes in really easy from outside its one thing, if you have to manually carry it all through a high end house and then have more area to clean up after yourself means higher costs.

I had ~3000sf done for about a buck a foot (incl materials) but that was a 'buddy' rate. He told me that as slow as things are he was getting about 1.50/sf on jobs that he could send guys to for multiple days.

You have probably about 600/sf if normal height walls not enough to keep a couple guys busy for a full day when it comes time to taping/texture, so you pay them for the day but can only use them for 2/3 of the day for days 2 and 3 (day 1 hang and first tape, day 2 second coat, day three touchup, sand, prime texture)

Last edited by kwb; 09-25-2009 at 11:01 PM.
kwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
e-tek

We did an entire kitchen and living room reno, lots of finicky work,
rounded corners, shelves, bulkheads....$1500 for boarding (inc material)
and $1600 for tape and mudding. Oh - with 12 foot ceilings and all rounded corner bead.
Not sure if that helps you....

Last edited by e-tek; 10-04-2009 at 10:39 PM.
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #6
ddawg16

30 Sheets? Check your math....

Assuming 4x8 sheets of drywall....

Ceiling is 5 sheets
Each wall is 6 sheets....
One sheet at each end...so that's 2

My count is about 20 sheets....

But that is still expensive...but as KWB pointed out....small or large, the setup is about the same...you can't rush mud so you are looking at 4 trips out there....install and tape...sand and second mud....sand and third mud....texture...you can only do one each day....

I think this is a good time to learn how to do dry wall....it's a lot more fun than you think....

"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

In Progress...2-Story Addition link
2-Story Garage Complete My Garage Build Link
Home for.....
84 CJ7 - With a 'few' modifications.. My Jeep Build Link
And my wife's art Studio...
and 3 kids with more energy than we have...
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:32 AM   #7
southpier

so ... you're worth what you charge, but the next guy isn't worth what he charges?
southpier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
brownbagg

was going say you get what you pay for, but there are crews out there that work weekends. I got a 1200 sq ft house , just finish, no hanging for $1000. and they was happy with it. But hiring a company with insurance during the week. It be over 3k easy.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
jimmie jam

i just paid $800 for 5/8 fire rated installed AND finished on the 13' high ceiling of my garage addition 20 x 26. that's 1.53 per square foot. oh, forgot to add that also included the installation of the 25ga steel high hats to the bottom of the trusses.
jimmie jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
M3Pilot

Upstairs in my garage. 8 foot walls. 2 walls are OSB cause that's what I wanted on them.Wall sheetrocked were 30' & 20' plus ceiling that's 26x30. Hung & ready to paint cost me $842 for labor last June.
M3Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

I have a hard time paying somebody something that I can do myself. If you don't want to do it yourself, I'd find somebody that would do it as a side job.

BTW, I have a cousin that finishes it for about 50 cents a sq ft.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #12
thammel

You guys are finding fantastically inexpensive labor! I found some guys from CL and the cheapest so far for my 8 x 19 mudroom is $700 labor, which is not too bad. This includes a 4x8 interior partitioned closet and the 9' ceilings. I agree on doing as much as you can yourself. That's usually my way. At 59 now, heavy stuff is not my love. It is amazing how large a variance there is in the cost of getting jobs done. As usual it pays to shop around.

Tom
thammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #13
sharage71

Paid 300.00 for a 400 sq ft room to be 2nd coated and skimmed. I hung and did taping with first base coat. Turned out fine.
sharage71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
Jey

i just had my entire basement drywall finished. Included materials, mud, sand and dust, clean out all their mess.

they did it in 2 days and it was $3100, ~1800 sq/ft with 10 ft walls. Included lid, and a bathroom.

I will agree they're not hungry.

The guy i had do it i learned from a friend in church who is a general contractor, he is his go to drywall guy. I didn't want to just hire anyone, so i contact 5 other drywall companies, and asked them to come out and quote. we agreed on dates and times, and only 2 showed up. one of which was the company that did it.

2 weeks after it was completed (3 weeks after bids) a contract called after he no showed the bidding asking if he could come take a look. He was upset i already had paint on it and was having carpet installed. i thought the same thing, that i would have people lined up at my house to give me a great price because i was doing something in Michigan, and we have a 25% unemployment rate.

Last edited by Jey; 10-06-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Jey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #15
Kevin54

Way to high in my estimation for a room that size. My drywall guy did my wifes 20x20 building ceiling and all for roughly $500 and that was including texturing the ceiling. I built a large walk in closet in the house garage to put shelves and two deep freezers and he charged me $150. That is hanging and finishing. We are getting ready to redo the ceiling in our kitchen and it is going to be $400. This is my drywall guys living and he does this work on a daily basis, so I think his prices are pretty much in line with others. And when he does the work, it is usually stretched out over a 3 or 4 day period although he does not work 8 hours everyday when finishing the drywall. He likes to mud, let it dry 24 hours, second coat, let it dry 24 hours, third coat, let it dry, then the last day sand and cleanup.
Kevin54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #16
Wayne Chipman

Labor to Hang, tape and texture $1.30 to $1.50 per sq.ft.
$.20 sq. ft. to prime per coat

I do flat wall work, I do not sand, I do not understand the need to sand.
I do all my work with my blade and the only reason to texture my walls is for the look.

My blade gets pretty sharp. I do not breathe sheetrock dust.

As with caulking. Less is More.
Wayne Chipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #17
BrianC636

I paid $4250 to have 13,000 sq ft of sheetrock taped, mudded and textured.

I hung all of it myself and simply had them finish it.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #18
Barnuba

PM sent.
Barnuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #19
jhelrey

Holy ass old thread batman!!! Almost 4 years!
jhelrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #20
webzmagic

I've been doing sheetrock and taping for over 40 years. I learned how to do this from my Uncle Danny (may he rest in peace). He was very good at what he did and taught me at an early age, like 12 years old! His children do it also. My son came home from Iraq after server two tours over there and decided to do taping together. We just finished a job taping an entire residence with others that have to be done. We charged this guy 550 for just doing the taping. I agree, it takes at least 4 trips to the job before it's done. Another guy is having us do his ceiling that was never taped, sheet rock been there like 20 years or longer. Now this guy is giving us a hard time with some stuff that can be fixed, but he just wants to get away with the two trips there and we are charging him $450. Hey, it's a lot of work trying to hide stuff that someone else did that did not know what they were doing. You tapers out there know all too well what has to be done where someone just globbed on the mud, nightmare sometimes. What I just want you all to know is that taping sheetrock is an art. Some people just can't do it! I'll post some pictures of what we are doing here in Upstate New York at http://www.webzmagic.com
webzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote