Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
XcYZ

Default Finishing my garage

I've been lurking here for a while, checking out everyone else's projects, so I thought I'd show what I've done with mine. It's taken me about 3 months to do, but it's been a fun project. I'm definitely not the best with tape and mud, but you learn as you go. lol

I built this garage, a separate 2 car garage, 8 years ago. I was on vacation the week of 9/11 doing the roof and siding... Anyways, after recently finishing the total rebuild of my Camaro, I could turn my focus and energy on the garage. In this random pic, you can see what it looked like before I started. TOTALLY unfinished, un-organized, just a mess...

I started by totally gutting the garage. I hauled everything out of my detached garage to the attached garage. That took way longer than I thought it would. lol All the old shelving/soffit storage/cabinets were torn out. It was pretty much back down to a bare shell. When I first built the garage I had insulated and installed vapor barrier, but after a number of years of abuse, the plastic was trashed. I installed new vapor barrier, sheetrocked, taped, mudded, and sanded the walls and ceiling.

I built all new shelves that I soffited in. There are 5 recessed lights built into the soffit on each wall. They were only $8 each (including the bulb) at the local big box home improvement store and will make good task lighting above the countertop. The main lights are six 4 T8 fixtures surface mounted to the ceiling. 24 T8 bulbs put out good lighting.

Here are some pics of it coming together and the walls primed. The soffit shelves are all new as I wanted them to be built out of 2x6's.

Above the soffit opening, I installed tracks to mount the doors to enclose the shelving. They can be rolled out of the way to get to the storage, then rolled back to hide what's up there. I used some plain trim painted black to hide the tracks and to hold the bottom of the doors in place. It works fantastic.

In the soffit doors in the front of the garage, I cut openings in 2 of the doors for the speakers. The speakers are on the shelf behind them and the speaker grilles are mounted to the doors. It keeps them hidden yet still sound great.

The red is oversaturated in these pics, it's pretty much an exact match of the red that's on a Craftsman toolbox.

On to the floor. After degreasing and etching, I filled a few knicks and the expansion gaps. I used Wolverine Coatings from Alpha Garage. I used a light grey epoxy with black, white, and grey flakes. It has a granite look to it. In these pics, the epoxy has almost cured over - I could touch it and another few hours and I could walk on it.

With all the construction and floor done, I could put the car back in.

Almost there.... I ordered plain black cabinets from Dakota Kitchen. The are made out of 3/4" and are much heavier duty than I had expected. The quality is great. While they are black on the outside, they are totally white on the inside.

In these shots, I still had to secure the base cabinets together, install the toe kicks, install the door handle hardware, secure the countertops, and finish the baseboard trim and a few other small pieces of trim and the project is about done.

The countertops are basic off the shelf units from the home improvement store. Far from fancy and were pretty cheap, but in thes pics, I still had to cut them to length. They have a black marble look, solid black would have been better, but would have cost at least 3 times as much. lol So this will do just fine.

And finally, it's almost finished. I'm waiting for the grey outlets, covers, switches, etc, to show up from the electrical supply store. The almond colored electrical stuff is what I used when I built the garage 8 years ago. The last piece to finish is the trim around the service door.

Everything that large and that is sitting on the floor is mounted on wheels so I can easily move it. My welding table, band saw, drill press, etc.

XcYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Doros

Default Re: Finishing my garage

I love the garage and I love the car. Respect
Doros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
ta66

Wow !!!!! nice garage and LOVE the Camaro, also like the way you did the bulkheads
ta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
BPJOOP93

Outstanding!! love the floor, the colors, and the car also. what is the size and height? whats the outside look like and how far from the house is it? just wondering.
BPJOOP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
TRC51

Ummmmmmmmm....... wow. Wow everything. Wow.

Nice work!

Wow....

I can always dream... but I am going to use your soffit/cabinet idea. The whole thing looks great. Wow.
TRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
TONE

damn, the garage is beautiful but the car is absolutely amazing!!!
TONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
KevDawg

Love the garage, and love the car even more!
Wow! You look like a man who pays attention to detail.
KevDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
XcYZ

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPJOOP93 View Post
Outstanding!! love the floor, the colors, and the car also. what is the size and height? whats the outside look like and how far from the house is it? just wondering.
The garage is just a basic 24x24, the sidewalls are 9'4". I guess I don't have too many pics of the outside of the garage online, but I have plenty saved on my computer at home. I'll have to dig them up and post some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC51 View Post
Ummmmmmmmm....... wow. Wow everything. Wow.

Nice work!

Wow....

I can always dream... but I am going to use your soffit/cabinet idea. The whole thing looks great. Wow.
Thanks! The soffit enclosure just presented itself. Before I gutted the garage, I had some simple shelves around the perimeter (I built the same type shelves in my attached garage, too) and I had always planned on putting recessed lights under them. One day when I was in the home improvement store, I spotted tracks and rollers for closet doors. It gave me the idea to use them to enclose the soffit. I used 5/8" MDF to make the doors and the trim holds the bottom of the doors in place. The tracks are mounted to 1x4's so I had a nailer for mounting the upper trim to cover the tracks. Also, if you notice, the doors aren't perfectly vertical. That was my plan so that the bottom of the doors have a just slight amount of pressure against the bottom trim and can't swing in and out. It's VERY simple and cheap solution. The best part is that I can open and close the doors with a single finger as it rolls so smooth easy.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
McDowell

i was gonna suggest that you buy some grey receptacles & covers, but i see your one step ahead of me.

great looking garage.
McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
G-force

WOW! Other than the wall plates that's a flawless execution.

I love the lighting on you walls.

Good work
G-force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #11
XcYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDowell View Post
i was gonna suggest that you buy some grey receptacles & covers, but i see your one step ahead of me.

great looking garage.

Yep! They're already on order. All the outlets, switches, and covers will be grey. I had them send me a test one and it matches the service door and window trim perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevDawg View Post
Love the garage, and love the car even more!
Wow! You look like a man who pays attention to detail.
Thanks! It took me 3 1/2 years to build the car. It was a lot of fun. Here are a few detail shots of the car.

Last edited by XcYZ; 10-08-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
SULLY

Wow, very very nice. Love the details.
Is the car on the poster yours?

Sully......
SULLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #13
XcYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULLY View Post
Wow, very very nice. Love the details.
Is the car on the poster yours?

Sully......
Thanks.

Yep, that's a metal sign that Source Interlink gave me when my car made the cover of Camaro Performers last winter.

The framed prints that I have sitting in some of the pics are also of my car, but they are 3D renderings that a friend did on his computer. I just haven't hung any of those yet.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
KevDawg

Can we have some details on the Camaro.
How long have you had it?
What's the engine?
Horsepower?
Do you have a link to the article form the magazine?

Its a dream of mine to some day own a 69 Camaro...
Old 10-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #15
XcYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevDawg View Post
Can we have some details on the Camaro.
How long have you had it?
What's the engine?
Horsepower?
Do you have a link to the article form the magazine?

Its a dream of mine to some day own a 69 Camaro...
Sure. I've owned it since '00. It was just a boring 350/4spd/12 bolt car. Did a bunch of updates to it over the first few years I owned it, then totally blew it apart.

It now has an LS7 with a few fun parts from Katech. It's making just over 600hp at the crank. As you see it in the pics, on the motor, it runs 124 in the quarter and gets 24 mpg. It has a 6 speed, coilovers on all 4 corners, rack and pinion, C6ZO6 brakes, mini-tubbed with 18x9.5's in the front, 18x12's in the rear. After I did all the fab work, I had it media blasted and re-painted the same color scheme.

I have the whole build documented here, along with tons of pics, including the magazines, calendar, and TV commecial it's been in.

www.Lateral-g.net/g69
Old 10-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #16
JimL

Which LS motor is that? Nice car and garage!
JimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #17
KevDawg

Thank you very much for the info.
I'm definitely going to give that link a very close read.
Your car is beautiful!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #18
hldtyt

Address please? I have a company on the phone for moving the entire garage including car to my house.

Jk but, damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hldtyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #19
JeffreyJames

That awesome!!! I might have to steal the whole Soffit storage idea with the lights because it looks incredible.
JeffreyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #20
D.J.

Sweet Dude, the Car and the Garage, wish I had both and you had a feather, we'd both be tickled to death!
________
BODY SCIENCE

Last edited by D.J.; 04-12-2011 at 08:07 AM.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote