Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
200horse

Default electric heater for 1500 square foot garage

A friend and I are getting a buiding togather that is about 1500 square feet with 10 foot cielings. The building is all electric. The unit is in the middle of other ones so there will be only 2 walls that the outside hit.

I have read other ideas on here but havent found any ideas for all electric what do you guys think?? Building has 200 amp service.

The place is in toledo ohio and we would like it to be able to get up to 65 degrees.

Also any ideas on cost of the unit and to operate?

thanks so much
200horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Identaltech

Default Re: electric heater for 1500 square foot garage

I dont know what your electric rates are there but here heating with electric is high high high.
unless your talking a heat pump and then your up front cost are high but after that its cheap.
Identaltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
200horse

I am not sure but we have to do something lol I may look into propane but not sure if we have a place for the tank. What is high high high?

thanks
Old 10-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Identaltech

^^^^^^^neighbors 24x24 electric heat 65 when working 50 the rest of the time over $500.00 per month.
my garage 24x38 natural gas heat always at 65 $30.00 per month
brother in laws house with heat pump including water heater $20.00
Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
200horse

identaltech wow thanks for the info what are the electric rates there?
Old 10-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
Identaltech

$.08854 per kwh
Old 10-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
Gary S

I have a 1200 sq ft garage with 10 ft ceilings. I live in a much colder climate than Toledo. I don't heat it unless I'm out there working in the winter. I have 9kw of electric heat (about 30,000btu). If I used my heaters 24/7, they have the capability of consuming 9kw of electricity every hour or 216kw every 24 hours. At almost 9 cents a kw, you could burn almost $20 a day. In reality, that doesn't happen because after enough hours, you would get the garage warm enough that the heaters could shut down.
Toledo isn't that cold, so you have to figure out how many BTUs you need per hour to heat the building. That isn't a simple thing to figure out. How well is the building insulated? How many doors and windows does it have to lose your heat? How warm do you need it to be OK? Do you need it heated 24 hours a day? What is the outside temperature you will be dealing with?
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
200horse

thanks gary lots of useful info

ok how do i figure out btu ? Yes new to this if you cant already figure this out lol

There is only one garage door standard 10 foot high one and maybe 10 wide. No windows. The buildings only has 2 walls that are outside walls front and back the other two have units to each side. We would like it to be about 65 degrees 10 hours a day maybe. Outside temp could be 30 to 0 maybe a few days in the minus.

I looked online and think I seen 10kw heater if I am thinking right. The feed back on them is great.Most are heating anywhere from 3 car garage to 40x40 pole barn.

Do you or anyone else think that will work?
Old 10-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
HoosierBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200horse View Post
thanks gary lots of useful info

ok how do i figure out btu ? Yes new to this if you cant already figure this out lol

There is only one garage door standard 10 foot high one and maybe 10 wide. No windows. The buildings only has 2 walls that are outside walls front and back the other two have units to each side. We would like it to be about 65 degrees 10 hours a day maybe. Outside temp could be 30 to 0 maybe a few days in the minus.

I looked online and think I seen 10kw heater if I am thinking right. The feed back on them is great.Most are heating anywhere from 3 car garage to 40x40 pole barn.

Do you or anyone else think that will work?
You don't mention insulation.

Does that mean there isn't any?

If you want to do this thing right, you need to insulate it properly first.

Then, if your only choice is electric, you should check into a heat pump. Heat pumps normally consume about 1/3 to 1/4 the amount of power that a resitance heater such as you are contemplating would use. However, if it gets real cold, OR you go in there in the morning and jack the t-stat on a cold day, it will revert to "emergency" mode, where its electric heating elements will kick in. At that point, it will use the same amount of power as the reistance heater, i.e. 3 to 4 times as much.

But the insulation question is the most important question. If you insulate a building well enough, it will be easy and reasonably inexpensive to heat. Without insulation, you're just pissing your money away on power or propane or whatever.

Phil
HoosierBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
200horse

We are just leasing this building so not wanting to put ton of money into it. It is a block building again only 2 walls are outside walls. There are units on both sides of it. I would think this would be a little better for heat ??

If it was my building or I knew i was going to stay for long term I would look at things different.

I guess now what I am asking what is the best electric heater for about 1500 square foot?
Old 10-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
djd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200horse View Post
We are just leasing this building so not wanting to put ton of money into it. It is a block building again only 2 walls are outside walls. There are units on both sides of it. I would think this would be a little better for heat ??

If it was my building or I knew i was going to stay for long term I would look at things different.

I guess now what I am asking what is the best electric heater for about 1500 square foot?
For a more cost effective solution you should look into either natural gas or propane heaters. Being you have 2 outside walls it would be no big deal to vent such a heater. If you don't have natural gas you can get a 100 pound propane tank and use that. For 1500 you could go with a 75,000 btu unit and be comfy when your working. Here's a couple options to consider.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6365_200316365

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6363_200316363

http://www.qcsupply.com/qcsupply/bro...romPage=search

One of these units would pay for themselves in 1 month instead of going electric, I think electric is a bad idea in our neck of the woods, these units I suggested would make the shop much more comfortable to work in and when your ready to leave the leased unit take the heater with you.

Last edited by djd99; 10-10-2009 at 01:14 PM.
djd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
200horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by djd99 View Post
For a more cost effective solution you should look into either natural gas or propane heaters. Being you have 2 outside walls it would be no big deal to vent such a heater. If you don't have natural gas you can get a 100 pound propane tank and use that. For 1500 you could go with a 75,000 btu unit and be comfy when your working. Here's a couple options to consider.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6365_200316365

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6363_200316363

http://www.qcsupply.com/qcsupply/bro...romPage=search

One of these units would pay for themselves in 1 month instead of going electric, I think electric is a bad idea in our neck of the woods, these units I suggested would make the shop much more comfortable to work in and when your ready to leave the leased unit take the heater with you.

I am not sure if there is room to put a propane tank outside.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #13
Busted_Knuckles

I can throw a couple comments in here, I used to work in 5000 sq foot shop, CMU construction, most people call them cinder brick or block. All 4 walls where outside walls, ceiling was 12', 300,00 BTU furnace. Im just west of Chicago, same basic latitude and weather as Toledo. A heated apartment sat on top the shop, and the place was wrapped on the outside with 1" polystyrene insulation, with vinyl siding on top of that. 2 overhead doors only 10' on each end of the shop, various windows.

The brick conducted so much heat, when it would get below 10 degrees Fahrenheit, that furnace ran 24/7 and never shut off. When it got colder with a wind, you wanted to work right in front of the furnace. By the time it got down to -10 we had natural gas radiant heaters kick on (about when it would hit 50 degrees in the shop) Anyhow, those brick buildings really can get cold, think about what you can do to keep the brick from conducting your heat!

On the flip side, at that same time, I built a 30x40 conventional garage behind the house, one service door 48" insulated, one 7'x16' overhead insulated, and one window 2'x3'. I blew in a foot of that ground up newsprint in the attic, and the attic was ventilated. I heated that garage all winter with a 110v compact portable heater I picked up at the farm store here locally (farm and fleet) I had bought a lightly used 90+ 110K BTU gas furnace from a friend in the trades, picked up the electric heater for $200 as a temporary fix till I got the furnace installed. Three years later, I sold the furnace and kept using the electric heater. Interesting part was, the girlfriend who payed the bills, never noticed an additional consumption on our electric bill. Yes, I know it wasn't free, but it was so light, she couldnt see, it, and I asked about several times. And we did not have the service where they average out you're bill. It was actual and monthly. I also air conditioned that garage all summer too. The door was not opened much, it was more of a shop than a garage. Didn't have a car in, just full of tools and projects.

So you can reasonably heat with electric, it just depends on how well insulated you are, and how often doors are opened, how many holes in the building. I personally hand built the garage, I siliconed the sill plate, house wrapped it, over-insulted the attic, it was very tight, with one tiny window, that was double pane insulated. And cheap to heat, but then I also know what a massive heat sink feels like too!

The shop I have now is 40x40 with a 16' lid and natural gas heated with radiant. Its 2x6 with tin, insulted with sheet rock, and the wind just blows through it in the witner (I didnt build it!), always cold. No remedy or than tearing out the walls and putting a suspended ceiling in it.

Theres some more food for thought! Good Luck, Bill
Busted_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #14
MNMuskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
At almost 9 cents a kw, you could burn almost $20 a day. In reality, that doesn't happen because after enough hours, you would get the garage warm enough that the heaters could shut down.
Exactly. I have a 20x20 with a 5kw heater and the garage stays 50-55F on the lowest heater setting. The garage has a double door, is well insulated, a tuckunder, and I'm careful to close the door very quickly after pulling in.

During the coldest months last year (Jan and Feb), I don't think I ever paid more than $70-80 to heat the garage. During some of the nights when the temp dipped to -20F or lower, the heater would turn on every 20-25 minutes and run no more than 5-6 minutes. Fortunately, we get some relief from the brutal cold from time to time.
MNMuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #15
tdkkart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identaltech View Post
$.08854 per kwh
You must be on REC??

We're on Alliant, until I use 1500KW per month I'm at nearly $.15 total cost(taxes fees etc)/KW.

After 1500KW it gets down to reasonable numbers/KW, but their structure is strange. I just pulled up my last 12 months useage on the house.

909KW = $141.11
1,566KW = $147.55
1,479KW = $147.24
1,829KW = $146.33

My 12 month average has been 11.5 cents/KW.

As you can see, if I'm gonna use it I just as well use it ALL, or nothing, costs the same either way.

Alliant Energy is the biggest bunch of crooks in the country. And get this, they just went to the state utilities board and asked for another 14% increase in rates.........bastards!!!

Last edited by tdkkart; 10-10-2009 at 04:50 PM.
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #16
ironroad 9c1
Banned

Wait till cap in trade is passed and the taxes get passed down to us......
ironroad 9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #17
Identaltech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkkart View Post
You must be on REC??

We're on Alliant, until I use 1500KW per month I'm at nearly $.15 total cost(taxes fees etc)/KW.

After 1500KW it gets down to reasonable numbers/KW, but their structure is strange. I just pulled up my last 12 months useage on the house.

909KW = $141.11
1,566KW = $147.55
1,479KW = $147.24
1,829KW = $146.33

My 12 month average has been 11.5 cents/KW.

As you can see, if I'm gonna use it I just as well use it ALL, or nothing, costs the same either way.

Alliant Energy is the biggest bunch of crooks in the country. And get this, they just went to the state utilities board and asked for another 14% increase in rates.........bastards!!!
to bad your not with midamerica they havn't raised the rate since 1995 and will not till at least 2010
check thier rates http://www.midamericanenergy.com/html/aboutus2.asp